Delta Aztec Powerline Shifter Cable Set Cables

[Aug 20, 2013]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Longevity, buttery smooth

Install is picky
Outer casing is unsightly after a while as it cracks and falls away.

I've been waiting for this system to fail in order to provide a fair review. I installed these shift cables 7 years ago. I broke a cable last night, up at the shifter, where the bend radius on the cable is the highest.

I agree with others, they were picky to install (from what I remember...it was a long time ago). The outer casing did get brittle and fall off eventually, but really it's only required to facilitate the initial install, it never affected the performance. I replaced the broken cable with a new Teflon cable, the inner sheath is still intact, since I fed the new cable through easily. It now works buttery smooth once again. The old cable was almost as clean as the new cable except for at the exposed ends.

Shimano cable set

[Dec 25, 2008]
Walrus

OVERALL
Strength:

does what it says it will

outer plastic housing cracks eventually

I've owned these before and when I finally needed replacement cables a year and half or so later, I regretted not buying the same ones again. I bought a set of Alligator "semi sealed" cables as I am referring to them. They work great but they do not offer the same performance as the Aztecs. The powerlines are a fully sealed design...i.e. if installed properly it is EXTREMELY unlikely that any foreign substance that would hinder performance will ever reach your cables. In addition to the compressionless housing, there is a liner that runs the entire length of the cable. The outer plastic casing around the little metal ferrules will eventually crack but that is only a cosmetic issue. It will not affect your cable performance thanks to the liner inside the housing. I need to buy another set of these because the semi sealed system I have now has allowed water/moisture to get in them this summer. The moisture never drained I guess and now it's winter in Korea and my 10-15 commute to work usually results in me not being able to shift after about 5 minutes outside...the moisture actually freezes inside the housing and effectively disables my shifter cables!! Thank God I have hydraulic brakes instead of mechanicals...LOL!

By the way...I noticed a lot of complaints here about poor shifting. As one reviewer already stated...you have to follow the instructions to the letter. This cable system requires that you install PRECISELY the right amount of cable or they will not perform as expected. You will typically need to use a little LESS housing with this system than with normal cable housings. On that note...when installing them don't forget to turn your bars through the full range of motion when measuring the correct housing distance. Yes...it IS that critical. Once you get the install down, these things are awesome.

Alligator "semi-sealed" cables

[May 19, 2008]
Dan
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

The metal pieces make good beads.

The housing is a joke, those metal pieces fall out extremely easy, the housing will get twisted.

This product absolutely stinks, don't get it, it isn't worth the trouble.

Jagwire Pro L3 Ripcord, XTR, Avid Flak Jacket.

[Aug 08, 2007]
SOGOAK

Strength:

Segments give like crazy and have tones of give in the system.
Water got in the outer housing and made it cloudy.
"Liner" is brittle and comes out.

DON'T BUY THESE! Guys in our forum where down on them saying they are just hype. They are worse, they are a pain to put on and use.

When I was in PMart, Another guy was at the service desk getting new cables for the same reason.

I got a brand new set of shop grade cables for $16. I'll just stick with these and swap them every year.

Your money is best spent on real cable cutters.

Teflon Cables

[Aug 03, 2007]
dave

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth shifting

outer houseing easily cracks

the outer housing cracks way to easily therfore exposing the inner cable to contaminants, any kind of maintenance that would cause these cables to bend to much even briefly will crack open the outer houseing, what a shame because my shifing problems have been cured with these cables, following instructions results in good performance, the end ferrules need to be flush with the inner housing, takes some very careful trimming.I plan on trying other cables that are more durable...xtr cables work well enough.

xtr

[Jan 05, 2008]
Steve Nilsen

OVERALL
Strength:

- Won't fade performance with time.
- Maintenance free.
- Doesn't need lubrication, and even that way it is smoother than regular cable and housings.
- Lighter
- Compressionless

Price, but worth every penny.

I can't believe how bad you're rating these cables. It is the best system I've ever used and performs much crisper and effortless than regular cable and housings, even the XTR which contaminate as well as many others. Goretex get rusty with time.

It is not hard to install. It is much easier than bleeding your brakes.
You have to measure and mark with a pen where are you going to cut, every housing segment. Then place the entire housing as it comes from the package on a table. Use a sharp blade to make a flat cut betwen 2 pieces. Add one aluminum piece to every segment you cut and slide it until there is half of each piece exposed to to each end and press the housing ends. This step is very important if you want a perfect install. That is the commom mistake for those of you who refered 'flex or shrink' of the system.
Do EVERYTHING in the table and you won't lose the small parts from the outer lining.

Add the cable to the shifter, slide the cable cover/liner and make that a straight line. Then slide all 2 or 3 housings you have prepared. Now place every housing on the frame stops.
The rest of installation is identical to what you're used to.

I have installed these cables on my 3 bikes, the older has 2 years, and performs like new. I usually ride in mud and rain, so I'm not a 'roadie' mountain biker. This system is flawless, just need care during installation.

Goretex

[Jun 16, 2007]
Greg peplinski

OVERALL
Strength:

none.

everything

these are pathetic. good idea, impossible to mount (figure 2-3 times the work normal cables) shift on par at best, overpriced total crap. would like delta to refund me as i have ridden them maybe 30 min then went home and tossed. dont bother to buy these. if i could give it -1 chili for ripping me off, i would.

normal cables+housing

[Nov 22, 2006]
Egger

OVERALL
Strength:

Let's see . . . Hmmmm, well . . . I DON'T WORRY ABOUT CABLE PROBLEMS EVER AGAIN!!!!!! Yippie!!!!! This may be the single-most important improvement I have ever made to a bike.
Delta Customer Service is THE BEST!!

There wasn't enough material to complete installation on my XL Frame. One call to Delta and the required materials were shipped immediately! Gratis!

Ahhh, the joy of worry-free shifting. I NEVER have problems with dirty cables causing ghost shifting anymore. Between the Aztec cables, and the SRAM X9 Triggers and X0 Deraileur I am now one very happy camper in the shifting department.
Used to have to change cables and housings every three months. That "routine" maintenance is now a thing of the past for almost two years so far.
I really cannot think of any other item that can make so much difference in the overall riding experience. Just follow the directions during installation and pretty much forget about it after that.
Their Customer Service is Top Notch.

Various Teflon coated cables and standard housings.

[May 26, 2007]
Rick

OVERALL
Strength:

great idea, look cool, good crisp shifting when adjusted correctly, inner cable is isolated from trail dirt and stays clean

A little difficult to install, Requires daily micro adjusting, especially the rear derailleur cable,always the same way, needing lengthening of the cable housing, my guess is that the inner cable is weak and is constantly stretching.

they work well, but they always seem to require micro adjustments, if you can put up with that then you will love them

many

[Apr 04, 2007]
Kent

OVERALL
Strength:

Sealed cable housing, teflon coated cables, cool looking, great customer service.

Outer casing cracked.

Picked these up on Ebay to give them a try, thought they looked cool and the concept is sound. The first problem I ran into was the kit did not come with enough end pieces to complete the job on a full sus. frame. Delta, however sent me some more, free of charge. Everything was going well until I noticed the outer casing cracking near the shifter pod. In all fairness to the Delta Co., this may have happen as a result of a spontaneous dismount. There have been reports that the kit does not come with enough cable. I would say that this is a fair complaint and one that the company needs to address. The kit comes with barely enough cable for a medium Heckler without even a centimeter to spare. Measure-Measure-Measure then cut and pray. So the bottom line- I am recabling with XTR for one reason, XTR housing will not crack. If in the future Delta will make the housing on the Aztec powerlines more durable than I will buy them again, if they could manage to add about 5-7 extra inches of cable/housing to the kit, that would seal the deal.

XTR

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.