Aztec Teflon Cables Cables

Teflon housing and Teflon cable.

[Dec 31, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Hmm . . . they sure feel like they would work smoothly . . . for a while . . .

I went to Performance cycles looking for Teflon coated cables, and the only product I found was a package of Aztecs. The packaging made it sound like it included both gear and brake cables, until I found small red words next to the bar code saying RD/MTN GEAR. I would give their packaging zero stars. It says "Zero Maintenance," and I saw what looked like standard nose caps. However, when I opened up the package, the nose caps had no seals! They wouldn't seal against anything but large "crumbs" of dirt. Furthermore, there was not enough housing to make a continuous line for the rear dérailleur (as I was going to modify the housing stops to allow) and have anything left for the front shifter. I looked into the Gore sealed system, and invested in some true No Maintenance cables. With the Grub seals and separate cable liner, there is no need to modify the housing stops to have a system that will last for the life of the bike.

Don't buy them because they claim to be no maintenance, they are only Teflon coated cables, which is fine. I'm just annoyed about their lying packaging.

Gore sealed cables; Generic cables included with the bike (had to replace after the rear brake cable froze up from water AND unknown contaminates)

[Sep 17, 2005]
Steve

Strength:

The cable is too frail - tends to crimp where the cable is curved and under load. The cable jacket compresses and expands to an unacceptable extent. The little nodules make a real mess if they spill out of the outer cable.

Expensive crap that doesn't work very well at all. For the reviewer that didn't use the teflon inner tube - that setup would be worse.

Avid, shimano, Gore

[Jan 29, 2007]
Robert

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good.

Pure junk

These powerlines are pure junk! I thought they might be something good, they certainly look cool.But that's what i get for going on looks...lol.
Set up was easy enough, (no,i didn't have any problem with those little interlocking things falling about or cracking the liner.)
They worked OK at first BUT after about 2 months or so they started getting ALOT of drag. I refused to replace them on the reason of what i payed for them. So after about 6/7 months i had had enough so off they came. heh , i tried working the cable off the bike & they were literally screwed upon working back & forth off the bike!
I mean with no exagerration they were nearly impossible.
Do not buy these! Total junk!
Another thing, if you need a new liner for some reason they are like $8!
These truly deserve ten real terds in the belly of the creator of these things,no joke.

Jagwire ripcords & other Jagwire cable products,shimano,generic.

[Apr 23, 2007]
Sprocketeer

OVERALL
Strength:

Teflon coated cables in housings that are thinner than most. Nice ferrells for keeping muck out of your housings and wiping off whatever gets on them.

The things on the ends--I forget what they're called--are TINY. They will not work with my LX brake levers because of this.

First of all, yes, it is worth it to pay more for prestretch, teflon lined cables and/or housings. Your bike will shift and brake better than you could have imagined, and you're unlikely to have to get your bike adjusted or adjust it yourself due to cable stretch--which is considered normal. If you pay a shop person to adjust your derailers and brakes, then get prestretch, teflon cables simply because they're essentially maintainence free and perform extremely well.

But don't buy these.

If Performance had the Shimano XTR cables, I would have bought those--been using them for years--but they only had a few choices and so I thought I'd give these a try.

I never had a chance to find out if they were really good or bad because they simply don't work with my Shimano LX brake levers.

If something doesn't work with Shimano--the standard--then it simply doesn't work and is all but guaranteed to not work on whatever componentry you have other than Shimano.

Of course, Performance will refund me for the cables, but I doubt they'll reimburse me for $10+ in shipping to me and back to them. Since the Shimano cables cost me $25, that means just ordering these ill conceived pieces of crap raised my cable costs to $35.

Performance should simply dump these cables from their offerings. Why offer something that's unlikely to be compatible with 90% of the componentry out there.

Shimano XTR brake and derailer cables--which are still the best.

[Feb 25, 2007]
Michael Egan

OVERALL
Strength:

Teflon cables, ferrules

Housings way too short

This review is for the standard Delta Aztec Teflon brake cables as pictured above. Some folks are reviewing the Powerlines which are a different product and which have their own review category.

As for these cables, the teflon cables are nice. I liked the way the ferrules went together. But my main issue is that they do not provide enough housing. I have disc brakes on both wheels and after doing the rear brake, I did not have enough housing for the front. I ended up having to use regular housing. Bottom line: for the money all I got were some nice Teflon cables.

Shimano

[Aug 31, 2006]
John Kretschmann

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively lightweight.

Extremely difficult to work with. Horrible braking response, mushy brake feel.

The Delta Aztec Powerline brake cables suck! It took me over an hour to set-up just one set of cables. Cutting the housing is a pain in the *#@$. It has to be cut exactly to length and you have to be careful not to loose the hollow pins that actually make-up the housing. Once I finally had it installed the brake feel was horrible. Very mushy. I double and triple checked to make sure I had everything set-up correctly. The cable set ended-up in the trash and I replaced it with Jagwire which is about 1000 times better ... easier to install and works waayy better.

Jagwire, OEM Shimano.

[May 09, 2006]
Gregg

OVERALL
Strength:

Complete junk. There are no strengths.

too much cable flex for it to shift properly

Complete junk. I've been wrenching bikes for 15 years and after installing these bike would not shift. Way too much flex in the cable for shifting. I followed directions to a tee and no go. These are complete junk and a waste of money. Its hard to give these even one chili.

Shimano SIS

[Aug 30, 2005]
Tommie

OVERALL
Strength:

Looked cool & high tech. Felt smooth initially. Cheaper than similar sytems. Not very difficult to install except got to watch for dropping links and fitting them the right way round

Cannot comment on the Teflon coated inner cables alone as I have not used them before. Look as if they should perform fairly well. As regards the Powerlines. Felt smooth and looked cool initially. However gears never settled - always needed adjustment, sometimes 3 times during one ride. Brake cables were also very smooth initially, but seemed to be more spongy than my old cables when squeezed hard. After 2 or 3 races they lost their smoothness & started binding on the return. Took them off and found the inner plastic liner tube was cut in multiple places where it goes over the aluminum links. Also the links started corroding after some water got inside the outer plastic. Am giving up on them now and fitting normal OEM cables.

Very irritating to pay more for a product that makes things worse rather than better. The makers claimed to reduce compression and thereby improve efficiency and accuracy. Mine did not do this. Sponginess was evident from the beginning and did not go away as I hoped might happen. After a few races they started binding worse than my old cables ever did and to add insult also corroded badly. The gear cables could not retain their setting either. In future I will rather stick to conventional cables for the gears & go hydraulic for the brakes.

[Jul 23, 2005]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Good-lookin; they look like they should work better than conventional cables.

They don't - installation is delicate and they do not noticeably improve shifting.

The trouble here, in my opinion, is that the inner teflon lining is very thin; it has to be this thin to be flexible. If you accidentally kink (even just slightly!) this lining somehow, then it's all over - you need a whole new cable set. The kink gradually bunches up inside the housing, or it eventually wears through or breaks. If you manage to escape the problem of the kink, don't expect any better shifting performance or reliability than conventional cables.
It's too bad, because this product looks like it should be an improvement over the wound or braided wire type of housing. I like to support innovations, but I just can't in this case, sorry.

XTR, Avid flak jackets, jagwire

[Jun 02, 2005]
Zardoz

OVERALL
Strength:

It has a very unique design and the outer housing is very thin but if you carefully install the system right it runs smoothera than butter

I have not yet found one

Try it it shaves off pounds and gives a smooth ride and precise shifting

regular old cables

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.