Titec Big Al Stem

Everything a great stem should be: light, stiff, and KnockRated™ - our seal of abuse-proof performance!
Heat-treated 6061-T6 aluminum, welded together in a wide array of sizes, with a dual-bolt offset handlebar faceplate that eliminates direct stress on the bolts.

• Material: 6061-T6 Heat Treated Aluminum
  • Construction: TIG-welded

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 26, 2008]
    Diamondhead

OVERALL
    Strength:

strong, simple, and silent

chrome allen bolts rust

Hasn't been reviewed for a while but still out there, not sexy, but sturdy, strong and as simple as a bag of hammers.
    Over 3 years old but looks like new, (aside from some rust in the handlebar clamp bolts) Quit possibly the strongest part of my bike! If you run with 25.4mm bars, like my Titec Hellbent DH get them while you still can.

FSA, Ritchy

[Jul 15, 2003]
    SWISS

Strength:

lower face plate bolt catches brake cable
    lower face plate bolt stripped out
    creaky

What a POS. First, the design of the face plate results in a lower bolt that catches on your front brake cable, so every time your fork compresses, the bolt catches the brake cable on the rebound. Not good. Second, I had incessant creaking from the face plate/bar interface that would not go away, no matter what I tried. Finally, the lower face plate bolt stripped the threads on the stem. Bad, bad, bad all the way around. Stay away from this stem.

Thomson, Kore Elite, Race Face System

[Jun 07, 2003]
    martin

OVERALL
    Strength:

very good strenghts, the stem is durable, strong , will take anything u throw at it and IT IS A GOOD PRICE!

i know the mg60 is a very good stem it does take more impact making ur ride more smooth.i do really much like the stem but if u are underbudget trust me and get the titec big al!
    i never had problems with the stem on that the bolt heads are rusting but that can be replaced for cheap

easton MG60

[Mar 15, 2002]
    Matt

OVERALL
    Strength:

strong, close tolerance with steerer tube, light, wide range of sizes

I got this stem on deep discount directly from Titec because I didn't mind choosing between red or blue. I think I paid about $25 for it, which alone makes it a 5-chili value. It's noticeably stiffer laterally than any stem I've tried, takes impacts like nothing, and I've never had it come loose. Before I installed it, I coated all surfaces with anti-seize: all 4 bolt threads, the inside of the handlebar clamp, and the steerer tube clamp. It did have a minor blemish where the powder coating (or whatever) dripped on the inside of the clamp, which would have scratched the steerer if I hadn't filed it down. Overall, I cannot recommend this product highly enough! If you experience any creaking, pull out all the bolts and coat them with anti-seize. I had a friend who did this and it solved all his creaking problems.

Bontrager Race 135mm, Barracuda 130mm, Icon 135mm

[Oct 29, 2001]
    joe smiley

OVERALL
    Strength:

works

none.

it's hard to find a product like this these days....no flash but just plain good engineering at a decent price. i was looking to purchase a new fancy stem(read pricey, glizty)to compliment the bike. but heck, the stuff out there just isn't worth the trust and money. that's what it's all about isn't it? i mean, if i have to pay $120 for a raceface system stem, it better be damn near its intended engineering specs. i don't expect to hear creaking noises or have the sales staff tell me 'it's a minor design flaw.' good grief! if people pay mercedes prices, they shouldn't get a hyundai. i think this stem is pretty wicked and i wouldn't trade it for something else more pricy or branded. its price, design and functionality mirrors the finer qualities in our sport.

easton magnesium, control-tech,kore.

[Nov 11, 2002]
    dennisd

OVERALL
    Strength:

-killer matt black finish
    -super strong and stiff

-obscolescent technology
    -no four bolt set up

The Titec BigAl is, gram for gram, probably one of the best stems out there for the money. It's reasonably light, very stiff and beefed up. It also has one of the best warranties in the business.

The Big Al does not represent the latest in technology, though. That is, it isn't machined out of a single block of aluminum, it's welded. Also it has a two bolt configuration instead of a four bolt. So if that bothers you, or you want the very best out there no matter what it costs, then get a Thompson or a Race Face Deus.

I would still recommend the Titec unit though, it has killer looks and won't cost you $200 which is just crazy.

[Sep 14, 2001]
    Eric

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, good looks, only need one allen wrench

Wasn't really in the market for a stem. I probably would've ended up buying a Thomson but when I saw the Titec on the back wall in the bike shop area of REI and I couldn't resist. It was missing a couple of bolts for the faceplate. That was okay since I had a spare Titec 'lil Al stem at home for another bike I use to have (they both use the same size bolts). I asked the salesperson how much he wanted for it. Since it was missing some bolts he let it go to me for $10. What a steal. When these were brand new they went for $50-$60. Now you can get them for about $30 in limited sizes. I never questioned the stiffness of my Bontrager stem but when I put on the Titec I definitely noticed a difference, mostly I think because of the size. My Bontrager has a 105mm length with a 7 degree rise. The Titec is a 105mm with a 10 degree rise. On a bike millimeters make the whole difference in feel and fit on a bike. This stem felt just right and plenty stiff. You can't go wrong with one.

Bontrager, Ibis titanium, Ritchey

[Sep 19, 2001]
    Kornphlake

OVERALL
    Strength:

seemingly light, looks good, graphics aren't too absurd, great value

my stem creaks despite popular opinion, seems a little bit long but that may be my fault for choosing such a long stem

The stem seems to do the job and I got a great deal on a bike that came with the stem. It does bother me though that it creaks unless the screws are tightened constantly. The bar never feel loose though it just makes noise. If you are a student looking for a budget priced stem buy it. If you have lots of money and want to put something cool looking on the roof of your SUV like alot of the yuppies here buy something else.

cheap-o quill type stems

[May 26, 2000]
    SGT ROCK

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks

None so far

This stem performs just as well as my Bontrager Race, a stem I rate very highly. My favorite thing about this stem is its looks - the "fat" profile compliments the big diameter head and down tubes of my frame. Yes, sometimes looks do count for something.

Have had no problems with weak threads or bolts so far.

Bontrager, Control Tech

[Apr 18, 2001]
    Mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Beefy, good welds, stiff, maintenance/trouble free. Great value for the money.

Not as cool as Kore or Thompson.

Haven't had a problem yet. C'mon, it's a STEM. It's more or less a static part. As long as it's reasonably light, stiff & dependable, why spend lots of $$ on it? Sure, a Thompson is cooler & a little lighter, but unless your completely anal about weight or have lots of cash to throw around, you're just paying for a billboard. Save you're pennies for parts that make a real difference - like your wheels. After reading reviews of some of the problems people have had w/ high end stems(stripped bolts, etc.), this one seems like an even better value for the $$. 5 smoky turds for value, 4 overall since a top-end thompson or Kore is pretty much the state of the art.

Kore, some flimsy specialized Ti piece of crap

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.