Ritchey WCS 4-Axis Stem

Best Price At

This feathery stem is ideal for road or lightweight MTB use. Net-forged 2014 aluminum body, with a narrow, 4-bolt clampThat prevents pinchingTodays lightweight bars. "Bias-cut" steerer clamp is kindTo lightweight steererTubes found onTodays forks

[Apr 10, 2012]
Rmillet

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, finish, graphics, LIGHT. Lengths available.

Flex (or does it allow bars to flex more??)

Bought this as I needed a shorter stem and went for some weight shedding at same time. I noticed the flex right away standing over the bike torquing the bars a bit, was worried how they'd ride. But on the trail, NO COMPLAINTS, haven't really noticed it ever on a ride.....maybe they make the ride more supple (like my CrMo 29er frame does when it flexes, vs. stiff alum.). Can't wait to add carbon bars to them. Now if it work hardens and snaps.....I'll change my tune, flexing aluminum will break!

I was thinking the elliptical shape of the sides of the clamping area might allow the bars to flex more vertically (vs. it actually being the stem). It's pretty narrow here (width of the two front bolts plus a bit).

As for complaints about the stem bolts......I have loosened and re-tightened several times getting everything just so....I use a Nm torque wrench set to 5.02Nm........no problems with bolt heads when torqued to spec.

Easton, azonic, profile, redline, avenir, kore....

[Feb 28, 2011]
mattwatkins

OVERALL
Strength:

Stylish design and light weight.

Lacks stiffness, noticeable flex while climbing.

I am only ten stone and rarely notice flex in components but I think this stem is just too light. I've replaced it with a Thompson and I'm much happier. Only choose this if you think you can live with the flex and lack of stiffness. It looks nice and is extremely light, but I don't think it performs well enough.

Thompson.

[Dec 25, 2009]
BokorSolo

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks great on anybike, comes in standard and oversize clamp sizes, which is excellent. Very light weight, comes with shims for different steerer tubes.

It is a bit pricey for just a little bit of weight savings.

Very nice stem I must say. Makes you bike look like a piece of artwork, especially when it is paired with the WCS handlebar. If you can pick it up for a good price go for it, otherwise it is just another piece of expensive hardware.

[Sep 03, 2009]
rassenholf

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looks, WCS, light-weight.

Allen key bolts easily rounded. Can't find replacement for it.

Good for weight savings and looks.

Raceface Prodigy, Kore Lite Stem

[Mar 19, 2008]
Craig

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light well crafted MTB stem, no flexing at all...

None so far.

I would recommend this stem to anyone looking for a superlight non carbon stem.

Easton, Bontrager

[Mar 12, 2008]
Bubbolo

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, finish.

Degree, poor quality allen bolts

Stem it's light and nice. I don't like the degree, i prefer the 0 degree stems but Ritchey has other idea.
I had to replace 2 allen bolts.
Mount it on XC bike and you'll be happy but do not mount it on a trail/freeride bike.

Thomson X4

[Nov 12, 2007]
patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight & looks.

A bit too flexy.

I like Ritchey products and have used them for years. I just find the WCS to be too flexy. Didn't really notice when riding SID forks but now that forks have progressed to 32MM stanchions it really shows how flexy this design is. I will be going back to Thomson.

Thomson, Race Face Deus, & Bontrager.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.