Profile Racing Boa Stem Stem

[May 24, 1998]
Johan Berglund
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I bought this stem because I wanted to increase the height of my handlebar, so I got a 120mm/40 degree-one. This stem has worked absolutely perfect, I've had no problems at all with it, and I haven't noticed any conisiderable amount of flex either. This is good stem which comes in a lot of sizes and angles, it's lightweight, looks good and it's cheap. I give it five chilis for being priceworthy.

[Jan 03, 1997]
Derek Brewster

OVERALL

I bought the Boa 'cos it was cheap. The first ride I had major problems with the stem coming loose in the steerer, so I removed some of the grease and reinstalled. Absolutely no problems after that. Good, solid, cheap stem.
I used it for 6 months then upgraded.

[Oct 20, 2000]
Rommel Upshur

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks Good. Stiff enough for me.Feels sturdy. Hasn't loosened. What more can I ask for, it holds my handlebar tight and high.

Simple,no gimick stem. It has worked for me for over a year. I'm 6'2" and needed a higher handle bar height. It does the job without fanfare. A more colorful stem would have been nice, but for 10.00 from performance bike, I can handle the color just fine.

unnamed oem stem

[Oct 06, 1999]
Bacoes

OVERALL
Strength:

looks good
Profile name

doesn't work

The stupid thing won't stay tight. I rode it for about half a mile after first putting it on, then realized that it was loose. Tightened it up, rode down a flight of stairs and it was loose again. It will be returned soon.

[Mar 27, 1999]
Kirk Darling

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Availability

Weight

Works well. Slightly heavier than more expensive stems. Came in the now-outdated 1-1/4 Evolution size I needed. The edges of the bolt housing are sharp and will slice a quad if you're unlucky. I took a metal file to it and filed all the edges smooth in about an hour.

Avenir
Fisher
Trek

[Dec 07, 1996]
Justin Hoppmann

I bought this stem when I upgraded to suspension in Jan. 96
In July in sloppy conditions at the Florida Sunshine State Games,
1/4 miles into the race the handelbar bolts stripped out almost completely costing me the race.
I finished fifth but I know without the problem with the stem could have easily won.
The next day I took my bike into a local shop, and low and behold
Profile has a lifetime warranty. I was given a new stem and have no problems since.
Too bad I lost $20 for the entry fee

[May 24, 1996]
Jon
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I purchased the Profile Boa ATB stem for $19.95 from a popular bicycling catalog. I should have known that something so cheap would be just plain junk. I tried to secure the stem into a 1 threaded type steerer tube on a Rock Shox Q21R and the stem just wouldn't hold. No matter how tight I tried to make it, it went out of alignment with the fork and wheel with just a little knee tap on the tire. I liked the look of this aluminum stem, but that's all that's going for it. Needless to say, I sent the thing back and went to a local bike shop for a steel Avenir stem that worked wonderfully. I wish there were a no-star rating because this stem would get it.

[Jun 26, 2001]
Buddy

OVERALL
Strength:

Nothing

Paint Scratches easly,(do'nt really care but hey its not great)Ugly, Doesn't stay tight, Breaks

I got this stem for my birthday and it creaks I don't know if it was the stem/handlebar or just the handlebar or just the stem but i tightened it and the screw pulled out all the threads and i wasn't torquing it i had a mini tool.

Nothin this bad

[May 26, 1998]
Steve

OVERALL

I looked at the BOA but went with the Profile Stiffy instead. Both are a great value. The stiffy was about $25.00 more than the BOA. It is indeed stiff, the quality ranks with that of the ELITE in my opinion and costs a fraction of the price. Plus how many companies will replace their stems for $10 bucks if U break them?? Tomac is also using profile on his new prototype rides.

[Aug 04, 2002]
aaron
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

LOOKS, STRENGTH, WITHSTANDS 360 FLIP TO FACEPLANTS, DOES NOT COME SLACK.

NONE SO FAR

GOOD CHEAP STEM. STRONG AND ANYONE WHO RECKONS IT COMES SLACK SHOULD EITHER TIGHTEN IT RIGHT OR DEGREASE THE INSIDE OF THERE STEERER TUBE. HOLDS UP TO CRASHES O.K

GT F-ING LONG THING.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.