Shimano STX-RC Shifter

Shimano STX-RC Shifter

[Jun 14, 2012]
Yochatman

OVERALL
Strength:

Won't die; Shift reliably and smoothly; just keep going

they do like to skip when climbing.

I bought a Mongoose SX 6.5 new in 1999 and these were the stock components that came with the bike; full STX-RC throughout. This was my go to bike for everything for about 8 years. In 2005 I picked up a Carbon Fiber Trek with XTR rear and XT front, and they were pretty nice, but not any better than the STX-RCs, and this was a 2000 Trek. In 2007 I got a GF Cobia with Deore and after about 6 months I sold it and went back to old reliable. This Mongoose has seen between 8000 and 10000 miles in its life, and it still works! Now it has had about 3 tune ups in those years, and I have to adjust the derailleurs now every couple months, but for 13 year old shifters and derailleurs, that's pretty good! Luckily this thing is a workhorse. It has seen lots of Single Track, and carrying as much as 250 lbs on it. I would say that this thing is pretty amazing. Sadly, after 13 years and many, many miles, it's time to hang in the towel and again try something new! What should I get?

[Aug 23, 2003]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Rapid fire, can skip several gears down at once.

Built like crap out of frail plastic housing. I broke mine when I fell. Total garbage.

STX RC shifter is crap for reliability. They came stock on my bike so I had no choice. Too much plastic in the construction. I've fallen far more times than I care to mention on my XT shifters and brake levers on hard rock and dirt. They've slipped and rotated on the handlebars, but they've never failed, bent, or compromised performance. If you're in a position to choose, forget the STX RC junk.

XT 8-speed rapid-fire shifter / brake lever combo. O;d-skool friction thumb-shifters (suck)

[Jun 18, 2003]
Joel

OVERALL
Strength:

Accurate shifts, reliable. Better than any twist shifters I've tried.

Not as smooth as higher end components.

Use teflon cables and a Rollamajig and the shifting will be much lighter and smoother. Great for entry-to mid-level riders on a budget. Buy them now, 8 speed gear is on the endangered species list!

SRAM, Grip-shift.

[Sep 02, 2003]
Bernie Miranda

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth Shifting on flat roads, Nice Design

Poor Shifting on Uphills, gears are cracking.

A good choice for an average quality bike, I cannot recommend this to serious MTB cyclist, this is good for hobbyist only.

Alivio, Acera, SunRace

[Jul 14, 2007]
BADman Bully

OVERALL
Strength:

it's metal so it's way tuff enuff

nun

the best shifter on the market

xtr down and sram stuff

[Aug 22, 2002]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, Reliable

Not the most accurate shifts, especially up hill.

These shifters worked fine for the first year or 2. I replaced the standard STX rear deraileur with an LX and got new cables and housings last summer. The bike shifted better than brand new.

I had to replace the shifters recently. The nut that holds all the hardware inside the case stripped out on a ride and all the mechanical guts spewed out. I would have went for an upgrade, but was forced to buy another set of STX shifters because I couldn't find any other 8-spd hardware.

Bottom Line: Cheap, reliable, last of the 8-spd that's still around.

[Nov 12, 2001]
Stuart

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, rapid fire shifting

Poor durability, little rough and imprecise

These shifters are what you'd expect for the money you pay. They aren't the most precise or smooth shifter on the market and are a little prone to damage from knocks. I found that the indexing on the rear shifter to be a little out with the cassettes i run (never could get the adjustment right for the down shift to my 6th cog). Also, when i was removing them from my handlebars i managed to dislodge the cap for the up shift lever for the front, losing the little circlip that holds iit in place in the process. They are an ideal shifter if your on a tight budget.

XT

[Apr 10, 2003]
Wade McGhee

OVERALL
Strength:

Great shifting, crisp and tough. I beat these for over 3 years now (came on bike) and they still work good. I've thought I would upgrade when they failed, but they won't fail!

None.

These impressed me so much that when the cheap crap shifters broke on my girlfriends Trek 4300 (cheap lever/shifter combo), I bought these at a great deal. They are cheap and easily feel as good as Deore or LX shifters.

Gripshift (turds)
Deore, LX (Buddies rides)

[Jun 13, 2006]
andy pearce

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap as hell in the 7spd version,
well made inners, eg quality metal gears inside
very smooth shift

cheap plastic outer

a very good shifter, if you ride 7spd the chances are your not into spending mega money on your bike, these do the job very well and shift as well as the old lx (as they are the same inside. they are not as good as say an xt but if you break one then the only difference is £20.
PERFECT FOR COMMUTING OR LIGHT XC (maybee a ittle light trials.

[Jul 19, 1999]
David Eastwood

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent shifters, great value.

right one did not work after 1.5 months of use.

ihad to get the right one replaced after a month, I was defective but i got it replaced free. Other wise then that there are great had no problens since.

shimano ?

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.