Shimano ST-EF50 EZ-Fire Plus Shifter

The Shimano ST-EF50 7/8 speed Shift/Brake (cables and housing included) lever set is a strong and accurate lever set at a great value.

[Apr 03, 2013]
Pollution Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough and reliable
Decent feel

Integrated brake levers

I live in China and keep several bikes for my students to borrow for trail riding. We do some moderately aggressive riding. Everyone seems to like these shifters. I have Deore 9 speed shifters on my bike so I know what better shifters are like, but I think these are just fine.

Most of the pairs I've had were second hand, one even without covers, but none of them ever had any trouble. None have been busted in a crash either. I have a set now that I've had for 4 years. They've seen lots of trail riding, abuse and crashes with no problems. Still work like new.

The only down side (for some) would be the integrated brake levers.

These are great for a commuter bike and even give very good service on a mountain bike. They hold up well to trail riding and work reliably for years. These are some of Shimano's best stuff in terms of bang for the buck.

[Jul 22, 2011]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Reliable performance

takes a lot to engage them
Not efficent on technical trails
Made of flimsy plastic

Came stock on the bike.. Decent quility for the price, but just not for technical trails. I can see them being used on road bikes a lot more effectively because they were reliable but it took a lot of motion for them to shift (too much for a MTB).

[Jan 23, 2011]
DIRTY DUCK

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Dependable
Shifts well
Easy to set up
Comes with cables and housings !!!!!!!

None for a product IN THIS PRICE RANGE

If your looking for high performance, smooth as silk, heavy duty, beat the crap out of them shifters for your $3500 bike - these ain't them. If your looking for a commuter, paved bike path, very light trail shifter for you $300 bike - these are it. I am very pleased with the performance of these. I have had no problems with them. They shift very smooth for a low end shifter. They are no where near the quality or performance of a X-7 shifter but neither is the price. These are great shifters for someone looking to upgrade a low end bike and not spend alot. In terms of performance and price-these are excellent. Also, these come with a complete set of brake/shifter cables and housings-What a deal!!!!

[May 31, 2010]
$nap$hot

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to take off and replace with better shifters.

Look cheap, feel cheap, flimsy plastic.

If these came on your bike and if your bike sees only pavement, you could leave these on and be fine. They shift decent, but there is a lot of travel before they engage. The Deore rear derailleur that came stock on my bike caused more shifting problems than these shifters did. I would junk pile these simply because of the brake levers. I'm not a big fan of the integrated shifter/brake anyway, but these are horrible. It must be the pull angle, but you have to squeeze the levers hard to stop. An hour on a trail, and you want to cut your hands off. I replaced this shifter/lever combo with SRAM X.4 shifters and Alivio brake levers (cheap from parts bin at LBS), and now my brakes are so smooth they almost feel like hydraulics.

4 for value because they're cheap and they work. 2 overall because there's MUCH better stuff out there.