Shimano SLX M660 Shifter

[Aug 14, 2019]
Jetta2010

OVERALL
Strength:

when they work, they work very well. I had just been riding with SRAM x-9 for several years so it took a little while to get used to the shimano shifter. after a while, I was able to shift just as fast as the SRAM and got used to the push/pull.

I got it used, so previous (original) owner already had nearly 3 seasons on them. In the middle of my first season, the shifter was not working correctly. Little to no information out there on how to maintain much less fix these. Turns out it was repairable. Poor design. Had to replace with new shifter. come'on shimano. I know it's slx but looking at the xt its more or less the same poor design.

[Jul 28, 2019]
baggona1

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth changes even on 2019. I am riding an Ideal VSR Pro 2010 moslty for cross country and VERY light rocky environments and it is my every day bike. For more intensive rides I use my downhill bike. Easy to pull the shifters for higher or lower speed rings no bottlenecks even if i am shifting them at the same time bigger to smaller chainrings and backwards with the rear changes at the same time. The cables hold tight too even thought its binding is attached to plastic. I saw the reviews. Maybe I was an exeption on condition of these shifter idk I am not saying that they are good or bad I am just transfering my experince. Getting the same feeling on shifting with the xt m8000 on my downhill bike. Well regarding the stable and quiet levers the feeling on hands OK there is defference it is an other thing though since we are talking about top end quality and attitude new models xt in contrast to 2008-2009 slx. All these parts are futureproof tbh but oldness still counts. I hope i helped guys that is all from my side about this product!! :)

A pretty old model and a bit firmless feeling on the hands. A bit loub not too much though seen much worse. That is why i give it 4 stars. They do the job I want them for though.

Purchased:
New
[Sep 24, 2012]
Little John

OVERALL
Strength:

Crisp shifting when new

Broke rear finger shift lever on 4th riding session. Disassembly revealed a lot of plastic and weak levers.

Came stock. Going to upgrade to XT components. Would not recommend, if comes stock, upgrade quickly.

[Jun 12, 2012]
Todd D. Pack

OVERALL
Strength:

was very smooth in the shifting. ergonmocally placed so could do rapid shifting.

plastic holding cable too weak to handle stress of shifting

Shifters came with a Kona Hei Hei purchased ~6 months ago. Have Shimano shifters (Deore) on a bike that is +10 years old and never a problem. Do a lot of hills so do shift a lot. Shifting into outer ring with the 3-speed and would not shift anymore. Upon taking it apart, a thin piece of plastic on the flywheel that was holding back the cable stay broke off the flywheel. Sounds similar to the last review - bad lot of shifters? Was going to replace with same but now thinking about stepping up, espcially since this may not be isolated - but to what? Probably all shifters have plastic in the critical parts, however did not expect a failure and especially one so quick. Rating would be a four if didn't break but because of poor reliability had to give it a 1.

[May 01, 2012]
Neil Terry

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, functional. light weight

Very easily broken.

So i got these shifters supplied on my Cube LTD Race 2011, after less than 5 days (and 130 km !) the front shifter stopped working after a 15km ride. I was impressed by the smooth gear changes on both F and R shifters so no real complaints with the operation of them , but on a short descent and a shift down to the grannie ring preparing for a short climb, the shifter gave a loud unexpected click and stopped working completely. After removal from the bike it looks as if the internal plastic guide-ring that holds the cable in place snapped into five pieces ! I am dealing with my LBS to see if they will replace it under guarantee ! I have been MTB riding for over 20 years and don't abuse bikes at all so this is a big shock to me ! I wouldn't go out of my way to buy SLX purely because mid range components don't generally last too long but 5 DAYS !! Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had the same experience with front shifters !

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.