Sachs Power Grip Extreme Shifter Shifter

Sachs Power Grip Extreme Shifters

[Mar 17, 2017]
xmessenger

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, light weight, reliable,simple and quility construction.

No longer made.

Lol, this is 2017 and I have been into mtbing since about 1992,having used all sorts of shifters including Shimano, Suntour thumbies and Shimano rapid fire. The latter are really tough to beat action wise but you pay a weight penalty and they are extremely complex. I have used Grip shift also and their X Ray models had decent actuation but used an incredibly brittle plastic that cracked easily when tightened. These are similar in design(SRAm bought Sachs) but are of a much higher quality materials and build quality.
Having an 8 speed set up on my vintage bike I have tried both Shimano and Suntour thumbies . Using the formers "8th click" was sort of a band aid and not ideal while the latters actual 8 speed thumbie had different spacing that ,while just slightly off, is too annoying and finicky for me. I am anal about my indexing and the other systems didn't cut it so I opted for these even though they lack the coolness of thumbies.
I personally always liked twist shifting. I like Rapid Fire also but I dont get all the hate for twisters, they shift smoothly and very easily with precision while being incredibly simple. I like that I can switch to any gear in a single action,something Rapid Fire never could.
These are great shifters and deserve having the high rating they have.

[Oct 08, 2002]
Joel Rogers

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple, light, good design, gotta love the grip protruding out past the shifter housing

Cable change door is small and easily lost.

Very good shifter...too bad they went out of business. Mine are close to 6 yrs old, and despite missing of the cable port covers, they are still working like a charm...I'm only wishing that I would have bought an extra set when they were on closeout a few years back...

almost everything from bio-pace to suspension seatposts...

[Jul 26, 2001]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

I have never had any problems with these shifters. They work the same as they did when I first got them.

I use an 8 speed cassette, but they don't make 9 speed. I think Sram bought Sachs too, so they may not even be making them anymore...I could be wrong.

If you're using an 8 speed cassette, pick up a set...they work well, and are a little different than Shimano and Sram. You can fid them for $30 new if you look hard enough. That's not a bad price for a product with one of the highest mtbr shifter product ratings.

Shimano, precision billet

[Jul 22, 1999]
Mikko Mellin

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight,affordable,good look!

hmmm,none!!!

Good shifting,altought a bit hard to shift.With my XTR rear & LX front derailler these shifters are hugely better than my previously SRT400 crampys.Go buy a pair of these if accurate shifting means something to you!

Gripshift
MRX 100,
SRT 400,
X-Ray

[Sep 24, 1998]
alarmed22

OVERALL

Good feel. Not as easy to accidentally shift. I like the detents, they drop in accurately. I like the easy to see lens. Looks cool, that's about all.The problem is that I'm using TRX rear D so all the numbers are backwards! I hate that! Sachs needs to address that soon. A replacement kit would be nice.

[Mar 27, 1998]
Eric

OVERALL

I totally agree with everyone who likes the Sachs shifters. They are more race worthy than grip shift due to their forceful shifts, and I won't even talk about rapidfire, yech. I've been riding 'em for over a year on my cannondale, and I've never had any reason to complain. My vote is EXTRA CRISPY

[Jul 26, 1997]
David

OVERALL

I have used both the Rapid Fire and the Sachs Extreme and for me they both worked well. The differences for me were:REAR: The Sachs shift FASTER than Rapid Fire for the rear. Both offer positive shifting action, but I can shift from the smallest to the largest cog (or vice versa) in one twist, where as the Rapid Fire requires multiple finger presses to accomplish the same effect. When on the flats and shifting one gear at a time to compensate for small grade differences, both systems work equally as well. However, when approaching a steep hill and need to shift through all the gears quickly, Sachs do the job faster.FRONT: The Rapid Fire shifts BETTER in the front than the Sachs. The Sachs require 2-3 clicks to change from one chain ring to another, whereas the Rapid Fire needs only one finger press. This 2-3 clicks is annoying sometimes because if you miss one click the derailleur can rub the chain or worse the chain grinds away trying to make the jump to the next chain ring. When the correct number of clicks are made using the Sachs, both systems work equally as well. However, the Rapid Fire make missing a shift a lot harder to do. Bottom line: The Sachs shifters work great. My Cannondale came with them and I was a little disappointed at first since the Rapid Fires worked so well. But the Sachs are a great alternative for those who prefer a grip shifting type system.

[Jul 27, 1997]
John Pelner

OVERALL

Over six months with Sachs, used with Ride-On goretex-lined cables, and no problems, no biweekly maintenance as with Grip-Shits. Tight crisp shift in rear; only problem is minor adjustment trouble up front with 95 XT derailleur. Not just cheaper but much better than any Grip-Shit product. Go buy these right now. Five chilies.

[Jul 23, 1997]
Mike

OVERALL

I got the Sachs powergrip shifters on my 97 C-Dale. I had rapidfire's before and I like these a hell-uv-a lot better than anything else out there. They shift everytime and are precice and fast. Sachs did an awesome job with these shifters and the people at shimano can kiss their little asses because their rapidfire's are on a much lower level than the powergrip Xtreme!!!!

[Jul 23, 1997]
Jamez 5

OVERALL

I have been running these shifters with XT derailures for about 5 months know and they are superb. You do not have to take these apart after every third ride like gripshift, and they seem more durable than rapidfire. They shift first time every time.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.