Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost

Best Price At
Available At
Available At

The serious cyclist will want to own the Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost.

[Nov 02, 2018]
eri

OVERALL
Strength:

Picked this up at a local non-profit for a great price - to put on my old bike trainer mountain bike just because it is so sheik! I know from my actual mountain bikes that the Thomson seat adjustment is very precise, which is most important for the trainer. What I didn't expect is how much flex this post has, to the point that I must point the seat slightly downwards and move it slightly forward to account for the sag. While riding on the trainer its like I'm suspended a bit, is more comfortable and I really didn't expect that. It replaced an alloy American classic which was sort of a lunk of a seatpost. I sort of wish I could use this post on my actual mountain bike because it is so plush, but not sure if shims are ok. I've had 3 other Thomson posts in my life. This one is surprisingly lighter, the head assembly is lovely if you look close.

Previous owner scarred up the backside of this post with a huge zig-zag scrape. Given it cuts across the lovely machining there's no way to sand that away. Sadness. Also the retail price is very high. Lots more important things to spend that sort of money on on a bicycle.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2016
[Oct 20, 2018]
LuigiRS

OVERALL
Strength:

Its name speak for itself on hands is a masterpiece well made super light weight, after 3 months of riding it in my bike no complaints what so ever, I also bought the thomson clamp and the seat post stay at its place on every ride, I totally recommend 100% A+Product

No complaints at all

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Oct 12, 2012]
minh

OVERALL
Strength:

light, strong, thomson quality.

price.

I've used thomson elite posts on all of my bikes since 1998. I picked up a masterpiece because it was a good deal (picked one up for the price of an elite).

aesthetics: from a few feet away it is hard to tell any difference between the two. upon closer inspection one can appreciate the extra machining on the masterpiece. it really makes the elite look unfinished.

for the weight weenies: total weight actually came in a few grams less than claimed. the weight difference between the clamp assemblies is only 3 grams. the difference between the actual posts is 38g. complete masterpiece 41g less than complete elite (27.2 x 330mm).

geek out: one of the best things about thomson is they are very specific in their instructions regarding installation. i.e., grease only the threads, not the bolt or washer. torque requirements in BOLD, etc. I do wish they would have torque information printed on the clamps like they do on their stems and seat collars.

riding: can't "feel" a difference between masterpiece and elite. and if I did I would be skeptical of data like that subjective and unfree from bias.

conclusion: elite slightly better value but masterpiece if you can get a good deal on one. at this level diminishing returns.

[Jul 22, 2011]
jadis3

OVERALL
Strength:

Does't slip into seattube.
Accepts carbon saddle rails.

Such a high level post should carry insert lenght scale.
Saddle angle adjusting bolts are not convenient to reach.
Uncomfortable in HT due to the its main strength - stiffnes.

Due to weakness of this American legend I switched for seatposts with simple adjusting fastens like ti Kent Ericksen, Carbon Use Sumo and now Hope Eternity for FS bikes.

Several carbon, titanium and alu.

[Jun 20, 2011]
dlongto

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomber, lite

$$

Tompson is all i will use for MTB. Other crap is OK for the road.

Tompson Elite, various Campy, Various

[May 16, 2011]
jellytronics

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, durable, large contact surface area between saddle rails and rail clamp, solid 2-bolt adjustment/grip.

This may be less a weakness and more user error. But I believe that the area which sits at the seatpost clamp within the seat tube has actually been slightly deformed frmo over tightening the seatpost clamp (also thomson). Perhaps it is only the Thomson seatpost clamp which can damage the Masterpiece? Otherwise indestructible.

Last seatpost you will ever buy. The Porsche of seatposts.

Thomson Elite

[Apr 11, 2011]
Helmetless

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice, great details, light, durable so far

expensive if you're buying it new

The best i have on my bike. At 190grs is not the lightest post I have had, but the more durable. And pretty. This is the Louis Vuitton of Mountain Bike

elite and a lot of race face posts

[Mar 07, 2010]
Tzvia

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong. I don't want to worry about it and this fits the bill.
Light. Not silly light, mind you. Again, no worries.
Well made. Bike came with a single bolt Race-Face that I yanked real quick and replaced with this. Did I say that I did not want to worry about the seatpost?
It's icing that it is so easy to adjust, with the proven two bolt design, and beautiful machining.

I won't rag on the price. You get what you pay for with this post. Sorry, can't find a weakness.

Buy it, sit down and don't worry 'bout it. Let the weight weenies deal with the lighter posts and their issues. This is light enough, comes in many sizes and lengths, is beautiful in its simple functional design and will keep the seat where it needs to be. If price is an issue, get the Elite; it weighs a little more but has the same build design and quality.

Syncros TI, Campy, Race-Face, Control-Tec, Thomson Elite, Specialized, Easton.

[Mar 05, 2010]
hardmtnbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

light,pretty and strong

I bought the straight post and after using it I realized I needed a setback One call to Thompson and they replaced it with the setback. This is a stand up company that makes a great product. I wanna buy more bikes just to buy more of their stems and post. They never look old or used and stay in place.

OE on my first Trek

[Dec 10, 2009]
vodkalime79

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong and stiff!

Abit expensive..

Incredibly light and strong seatpost....Might still be heavier than carbon but definitely can take more abuse than carbon ones.....Get one!

Thomson Elite, Easton EC90