Ritchey Comp Seatpost

Best Price At

• Two-bolt design
  • Low profile clamp
  • Strong and light 3-D forged one-piece construction
  • Wide saddle cradle support system
  • 6061 Material
  • 250/300/400 Length

[Feb 14, 2012]
gk40

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light, doesn't cost a lot.

Reasonably light also means a bit thin.

For 40 bucks, it's a bit overpriced. The seatpost bent after a couple of seasons riding Norcal fireroads and it's not like I'm a heffer at 5'-9", 150lbs. It was a 27.0 diameter with 8" of post exposed, so perhaps the narrow diameter had something to do with it.

Thomson, Easton.

[Dec 25, 2009]
BokorSolo

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive (came installed on bike), strong, problem free, looks pretty slick on my ride, clamp design is pretty sturdy.

It is a bit on the heavy side for XC hardware.

This is great as far as original hardware goes. Better than all that Kalin or Kalloy stuff that comes on other bikes. This has been completely problem free for me, but I do ride only XC on this bike, there are no drop offs or step downs or anything like that for me. If you are a free rider or a big hit rider I can see how the clamp might slip under your usage. For a regular XC guy like myself, this is good old set it and forget it hardware. Just tighten the bolts under the saddle and ride.

[Aug 15, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, good clamp

Weak if you bang it hard

After a small fall when my feet slipped off the pedals and my rear hit the seat (I have a hard tail 29er), the Ritchey Comp bent about 10 degrees. I thought it was a rather small fall for a big bend like that so I'm not so satisfied and now am thinking of buying a thompson elite.

[Jun 22, 2009]
creekchubb

OVERALL
Strength:

looks real nice, probably a good post if I was lighter.

The saddle keeps tilting back, and I bent it after 14 monthes of use

I weigh 210, and I bent this post! I dont jump or drop just rolling xc, I would think a seatpost should be able to handle my weight. The saddle kept tilting back from day 1, and I had to wedge sand paper in the clamps to get the saddle to keep the proper angle. Just thursday, before my saurday marathon race, I noticed that the post was bent just above the seatpost collar. no race for me. Glad I noticed or I could have had a inadvertant vasectomy!!! so now I am going to purchase a thomson post. I guess the old addage is true, buy cheap does mean buy twice. I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THIS POST!! no more Ritchley products for me.

Thomson

[Apr 05, 2009]
Hollis

OVERALL
Strength:

solid performer

inexpensive with solid performance, no complaints.

Kore, RaceFace, American Classic

[Jun 02, 2003]
Chad

OVERALL
Strength:

It came with the bike

Screw clamp stripped out the hole for mounting. Hard to adjust.

The screw hole stripped after a moderate wreck here in the flatlands. Really cheap design which makes adjustments hard. Upgrade immediately unless you like your jewels twisted. I've taken the Syncros through 10 times the rides (with 10 times the wrecks at 10 times the impact forces) and had no problems.

Syncros

[Jun 25, 2007]
Buridan

OVERALL
Strength:

I ride mostly cross country and I've found this seatpost to be very reliable and problem free. The seat clamp holds the saddle rails securely, with no slipping whatsoever. It's very stiff and looks good. I've never had the problems described with the other Comp models or had to adjust the seat clamp in the two years that I've used it. It does its job well, plain and simple.

NONE.

This seatpost has worked extremely well for me. I've thought about upgrading to a Thomson, but I can't justify spending the extra money for just the bling factor. Besides, there's less than 15 grams difference between them.

My Comp model is the same model currently pictured on the Ritchey website. I've never had any issues with Ritchey products - stems, headsets or seatposts. In fact, when I needed a new crown race for my WCS headset, I emailed Ritchey about how much one would cost. They responded by sending me a new one in the mail - priority - two days later. I was shocked. Granted, it's not an expensive part and easily thrown into an envelope, but the personal and prompt attention extended by the Ritchey representative said volumes - great products and great customer service!

Cheap Kalloy

[Sep 14, 2006]
Jorgex

OVERALL
Strength:

-none

-only one screw(instead of two screw system adjustment)
-not CNC

I asked my LBS(in 2003 or 2004) for the cheapest seatpost that fitted my "new" giant'92 frame and the answer was Ritchey.

Nothing special, it does the job and if you like it with one screw adjustment then don't look further.

Personally i hate it but it's an essencial piece for mountain biking.

seatpost that came with scott yecora back in 1997 or 1998

[Dec 27, 2005]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, came with bike, matte finish looks good

I got this stock with the F800 SL, so no real decision in the choice. Decided to give it a try and haven’t been sorry. I ride XC mostly with some rock gardens and single track. I’m a light rider, weight in at 170, but have taken a few hard hits on this post. I’ve trashed the junk alloy posts that came with the Spesh (2 to date replaced under warranty). The reviews for this product all talk about the seat clamp coming loose or getting stripped. Sounds like a little routine maint is needed before rides (Though I’ve never had to tighten the clamp)! Anyways, if you like sick drops, jumps or weight 220+ this probably isn’t the post for you (try a Thompson). Otherwise give it a try for the price. I give it 4 chilies each.

Specialized alloy, 27.2mm x350mm, Alloy 30.9mmx300/350mm, micro adjust, ThudBusterII

[May 02, 2004]
El ray

OVERALL
Strength:

strong enough for me...simple design...good adjustability...not heavy...no slipping or creaking...looks good

could prove unfit for fat guys (but what bike parts are?)...it's not light (about 11 ounces/300 grams)

I have yet to experience any slippage or creaking with this post...but if you abuse your bike or if you are in the clydesdale class - look elsewhere. At 140 pounds, I have been nothing but impressed with its performance...

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.