Easton EC90 Zero Seatpost

Best Price At

We've long been fans of the Thomson Elite seatpost. Why? It's nicely light, it allows you to nose your saddle up/down with infinite adjustability, and it has no setback -- perfect for riders whose less-than-Yoga-master flexibility and/or short femurs cause them to be more comfortable further ahead of the bottom bracket.Nevertheless, Thomson's post is made from aluminum and aluminum has its drawbacks -- you can't make it look much better than sort of cool, and you can't give it the lightness of super high-end carbon fiber.Easton comes to the rescue with their EC90 Zero Setback Carbon seatpost. It's full carbon, including the head, and you get loads of durability thanks to the fact that it makes use of Easton's Taperwall technology. The post and the head are part of a monocoque design with no bonding to it. The EC90 Zero Setback uses two steel bolts to allow you to microadjust your saddle position. Even though the Easton post is 17% longer than a 250mm Thomson Elite road post -- at 300mm it's long enough for many of the compact bikes we sell -- it is 12% lighter.It has a 5 year warranty from manufacturing defect.The weight of the Easton EC90 Zero Carbon Fiber Seatpost: 27.2x300mm is 168g. 27.2x400mm is 206g. 31.6x300mm is 204g. 31.6x400mm is 248g.

[May 04, 2012]
coyotegulch

OVERALL
Strength:

Dampening, weight

Maybe price, but the improvemet in ride quality outweighs that especially for 6-12 hours on the bike.

I just bought this post and installed it. I only have two rides on it to date, but the improvement in ride quality it provides compared to my Thomson is marked. It really smmoths out the small bumps and rocks and is the perfect addition to my Ti hardtail 29er. It should make endurance racing more comfortable this year.

[May 02, 2011]
winsail

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light weight and strong. Dampens small bumps and saddle.
Nice adjustment markings for height.

flat rear section allows mud into frame

I used this for 2 years as my primary post until I bought my height adjustable post. IT will be used again for any lightweight build I do. Hands down lightest best designed all carbon post. No it doesn't feel like a Thompson alu post. It shouldn't it's lightweight carbon

race face,fsa carbon

[Feb 26, 2011]
OBE

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight

Weakness

After a number of years of hard riding, I've traded in my trusty aluminum bike for a sleek new carbon fiber model. I ordered a new Easton EC90 CF seat post to match. I was amazed when I read the instruction sheet. There was a whole page listing ways the seat post could fail including getting grease on it, scratching it, twisting it to insert into the seat tube. It stated that the product should be installed by a qualified bicycle mechanic using appropriate professional tools. It was recommended that the seat tube be sanded with fine grit sandpaper so the post doesn't get scratched. There were exact specifications as to the torque requirements for seat tube collar and saddle clamp bolts. So, does that mean that if I want to change the height of my saddle on the trail, I need to have a qualified mechanic with me who happens to have a recently calibrated torque wrench handy? Based upon the warnings it would seem I would be in constant danger of seat post failure, probably resulting in shards of high modulus carbon piercing my delicate regions.
Give me a break. I'll have to send this back to recover my dignity.
"You don't run through mud in ballet slippers."

Thompson

[Dec 24, 2009]
TTTURNER

OVERALL
Strength:

LIGHT AND STIFF. The 400mm will fit almost any bike and weighs only 192grams on my scale.

NONE THAT I CAN FIND

Buy this post if you get it on sale and you want a light and easy to use post. Buy the Thomson Masterpiece if you can't get this post on sale.

YOU NAME IT

[Dec 12, 2009]
wmike83

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon, Flexes in a good way and Light

patented clamp cutout is in the wrong spot and scratches easy

This is a great seatpost. The only thing you have to do is use a torque wrench and carbon grease. I went to my lbs and borrowed theirs for a few minutes in the shop to mount my saddle. The wrench is too expensive for purchase. This seatpost is awesome. The first day I rode it I could tell a difference from a metal one. It flexed in a good way and absorbed the harshness of the trail nicely. I recommend going with this post for anybody wanting to lower their overall weight and wants a more comfortable ride.

[Oct 05, 2009]
RYBO

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

See Below

Came with my Mojo in 2008, so my second season of riding. I maintained my bike very well. Last weekend went to remove the post from the frame and low and behold was unable to. Took it to the LBs and they removed it. Had to buy a new post ( got a Thomson) b/c the carbon seatpost had started to bubble and flake which caused it to get stuck in the frame. There was no grease on the seat post.

It seems the culprit is in the design, the diameter of the post is NOT round,the back of the post is squared off which results in an opening by the seatpost clamp on your bike which allows water in and air. As well, carbon and Aluminum do not mix, this causes corrosion of the carbon. ( the Mojo is a carbon frame with an aluminum insert for the seat post.) But if you read this thread you can see more people are having more issues with the Easton then others.

I cannot suggest you buy this post unless you have a complete carbon frame.

[Aug 26, 2009]
andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, post offset suitable for cramped frames.

Horrible clamping mechanisim. Poor design, constantly slips when torqued to specs. Grooves worn off first ride, save this post for the roadies!

Easton makes great parts. This seatpost is not one of them!
The clamping mechanisim is poorly thought out, and won't last. Who cares how light it is if it is constantly slipping. Don't waste your $, buy something that works! It can't take a 160 lb person on a softail in the flat trails of Miami!

Thomson, SDG I beam, Race Face

[Mar 14, 2009]
paneristi

OVERALL
Strength:

absorb vibration, seems very strong

slippery, bolts hard to adjust (cramped)

comfortable compared to Thomson.
need to apply seatpost paste to prevent slip
To the reviewer with the Ibis Mojo: Is it made in China?
I know Ibis Mojo is (made in China)

thomson elite

[Feb 23, 2009]
Ruger

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight.

Difficult to adjust saddle clamps. Difficult to torque because the nut is so close to the post, long extension helps. Not secure.Made in China!

Buy the Thomson!

Thomson Elite.

[Jul 27, 2008]
lokiboy8

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, no off-set, dampens vibration, matches my shoes

I have used Thompson posts for 8 years (over 10,000 miles -- 7,200 on my last one!) and decided to roll the dice, as it were, and go with this one. I have heard of some failures but after 700 miles and one horrific crash (broke the frame in 3 places) all is well.

I have not heard a single peep or squeek out of the post/saddle interface.
After using a Thompson, THE absolute bombproof post of all time -- I expect nothing less than perfection.

A couple caveats about this seatpost that may relate to those failures --

The seat tube edge must be TOTALLY smooth -- or else you will get scoring, which will weaken the post.
When pulling or inserting the post in the seat tube, you MUST NOT TWIST IT BACK AND FORTH -- or said same will occur.
Lastly, you MUST use a torque wrench when tightening the bolts on the saddle clamp. It's carbon -- duh!

I can't help but wonder about all this when people have a failure.
As my former boss and good friend Jim "Jimbo" Deines always says -- "A tool is only as good as the nut on the OTHER end of the handle." ;0)

As to the price, yes, I got this NEW for $120. I was so incredulous I made the poor guy go to the warehouse, bring it to the phone, pull it out, read to me what it said on the post, then, finally -- weigh it!
He was a very good sport, I must say -- I think he got a kick out of the whole affair.
I just could not BELIEVE it was going for almost 1/2 price!!
So, shop around, my friends...

Happy trails!

Thompson

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.