Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Seatpost

Your seat can't do anything without a seatpost, so pick up the aluminum Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 and give your saddle a place to perch. The easy-to-adjust, single-bolt clamp securely holds 7mm seat rails so you don't have to worry about a migrating saddle as you shred.

[Oct 10, 2019]
SlecIII

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength: Looks, weight and build quality.

Weakness: Hard to fit a saddle. Even with a thick rail. Need to shim with aluminum sheet from soda can.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Apr 11, 2016]
Rim

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks Good, height system integrated in the post, seems strong, comes in 400mm length

awkward bolt access, will not tighten seat with a normal hand wrench (seat rails tighten, but clamp does not grab post (at least not with my hand tool).

I don't respond much to these boards, but I have to mention that this seat post is one of the worst products I've purchased for my bike. I paid a good amount thinking I'd get a better seat post than I had from Specialized Sirrus Pro, but I was wrong. I'll be going out to buy a Thompson tomorrow.

[Jul 22, 2015]
RD
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks pretty (to start with)

Can't be adjusted, is difficult to tighten, once in place isn't even good quality

I thought i was doing something wrong with the seatpost at first, but after reading some reviews realised that it is a terrible product. Once the seat angle is set, it seizes there - the amount of torque you need to stop it slipping on the rails is too much for the T25 head on the bolt. It looks nice to start with, but expect the finish to be scratched to hell after altering the seat height a few times.
Don't be fooled, this is probably the worst thing I have ever bought for my bike.

[Jun 23, 2014]
Mark Cox

Strength:

The seat clamp is terrible. Tightened to specs the seat nose moved 1/2 inch in either direction. Took it apart and greased per Crank Bros. recommendation. No improvement.

Very poor design

[May 28, 2014]
Ellen

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight
cool color

will not work at all

This is hands down the worst bicycle component I have ever purchased in my twenty-some years of OCD-like compulsion to spend more money than I have on bicycle parts that I don't need. No kidding. I bought the post because I wanted something light, long, and I liked the single bolt design and color. Terrible purchase. First problem-- got the saddle on, tighted the bolt to the specs, and no matter how much I tightened the bolt, the saddle retained a small amount of up and down movement on the bike. Not acceptable. Called Crank Brothers, was told to "lube the crescent shaped parallel channels with tri-flow." I did this, which did eliminated the annoying moving saddle issue. The bigger issue is that once you install the saddle on the post and tighten the bolt, the saddle is fixed forever in that position. So if the tilt is wrong, forget about adjusting it. You have to completely remove the saddle and start from scratch to adjust tilt. And the saddle has to be busted off with a hammer to get it off. Totally unworkable and not what a post is supposed to do. And no amount of tri flow fixes this problem. I called Crank Brothers twice and hoped that someone could help me, but they could not. Of course they couldn't, because the post does not work. I really don't understand some of the reviews that say this post worked for the rider. Good luck and look elsewhere!!

everything

[Sep 27, 2013]
Lule
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Swanky looks and a light weight.

Poor engineering.

A "trophy wife" of a seatpost, this is. Looks great but doesn't work. It's unlikely that you'll be able to adjust the saddle angle on the trail as the clamp, once tightened, has dug into the sides of the post and won't move again until the seatpost is removed from the bike and dismantled. Dislodging the clamp requires clamping the post to a bench and giving the clamp a whack with a rubber hammer. Only then can one adjust the angle of the saddle. Not something to be done on the trail unless one carries a vice and hammer in their toolpack.
Need more than 72 degrees? Not with this offset post. The saddle rails contact the clamping assembly denying further tilt forward. No kidding.
Crank Bros. allowed me to spend $20 to send it to them only to tell me this is how they designed this post to function. This design seems to be "change for the sake of change" and nothing more. Worst seatpost I have ever had, regardless of price.
At this price, the seatpost should perform flawlessly and have excellent customer support. It does and has neither.

RaceFace, Ritchey, Kalloy, Giant, others.

[Sep 02, 2013]
frana

OVERALL
Strength:

design,color, CB general aesthetics great.

difficulty tightening

The only problem I have is keeping it tight. My allen wrench feels like its going to snap when I crank on the tightening. My first ride my seat was pretty loose after a short time in the saddle. When tightened it is fine, but it hasn't been a set and forget seatpost

[Oct 08, 2012]
arkhamasylum

OVERALL
Strength:

Again, good design integration across Cobalt 3 series.

- Finishing is easy to scratch
- Seatpost wedge/clamp gets locked
- Seems to slide more often when used with Crank Brothers Seat collar.

Purchased this seat post as part of a Cobalt 3 theme build. The only problem I had was that the wedge/clamp locks out and it gets difficult to adjust the saddle angle after a while. I've tried grease and lube but it still gets locked after a while. As someone has mentioned, the setback version has a certain limit on saddle angle. When used with Crank Brothers Seat collar, I find that the seat slides more often. The finishing is not hardy and gets scratches easilly.

[Oct 09, 2011]
flor385

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks. Matching color to other members of the Cobalt line. Reasonably light. Well made.

Price. The wedge system makes it a tad difficult to adjust angle and saddle position. The offset version does not allow for a saddle angle where the nose is pointed downward (stem blocks rails movement). Relies on a single T25 torx bolt tightened to around 12Nm to keep it all in place.

I got it together with the Cobalt handlebar and Iodine stem, all in Iron / Black color scheme. So, I got it for it's looks. I am keeping it for it's looks too, but it gave me a lot of trouble. Finding the best saddle adjustment is a major pain with this item. But OK, one does not do that every day.

It is however well engineered, the single bolt system works when tightened to the right torque, and the bolt and nut are strong enough to hold it. So, once you get it right, it stays right.

Damn pricy though (you get stems that are just as light and infinitely less complicated for half the price).

A few stems.

[Jul 25, 2011]
broadwayline

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks great, holds the saddle perfectly, dimple marker design allows for great height marking and easy adjustment of the saddle height.

A little finicky compared to a 2 bolt clamp but not difficult like other reviews make it out to be. I adjusted my saddle perfectly myself in under 1 min first time using it and it held position and has not budged!

Great looking seat post with an interesting design and good markings for height

Thompson, Easton, Ritchy

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.