Selle Italia SLR Saddle

The Selle Italia SLR line of saddles feature a combination ofThe highest properties of carbon helpingTo makeThese saddles both lightweight and strong. Style: Mens Weights: Carbon Kit: 125 g Gel Flow: 215 gTubularTi: 135 gTubular Vanox: 180 g Width: 135 mm Length:275 mm Rail: Carbon,TI, or Vanox

[Nov 19, 2009]
BadHabit

OVERALL

Rails might not fit your seatpost.

This is a review of the SLR Carbonio Kit Flow. I have not yet used this saddle. I bought it to install on a Syntace P6 carbon seatpost, but the rails are 3/64" too far apart for the Syntace clamp--reputed to be one the best designed.

My preliminary research says that carbon rails can't be adjusted (bent) like metal rails.

The saddle is beautiful and so light--and so expensively disappointing.

My advice is to be certain of fit before buying.

My rating will ignore the fit/buyer responsibility issue. This is a beautiful, light and expensive saddle (as expected) that does not deserve to be downgraded because of my inattention.

[Sep 22, 2009]
astrat

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, and very comfortably.

Only lasts half a season.

I work at a shop and get clear-out pricing when it comes to the ugly colour SLR's, if it weren't for the price point, I wouldn't buy them. They are my favourite saddle, but they only last half a season - the leather cover rips almost immediately.

But in terms of comfort and weight, nothing beats an SLR 135g saddle.

Many people ask: how is a saddle like that comfortable? Well, there are two ways to make a comfortable saddle. 1) with a lot of padding and 2) with great flex. The original leather saddles (ie Brooks) relied on flex to be comfortable, and these are revered as the most comfortable saddles on the market. The SLR also relies on flex to be comfortable - the carbon fiber base and Ti rails offer fantastic flex. I f'ing love this saddle.

Selle Italia Flite, Prologo Ti Choice, WTB Rocket V

[May 24, 2009]
thomasjc97

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable, light, short break in time, US-made Ti rails

a little pricey, leather cover tears easily

The saddle is awesome! It may be bit a misleading... most people ask if the saddle hurts and if it gets stuck in places that saddles shouldn't be. But really, it fits perfectly [for me]; I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, medium build, and my sit-bones line up perfectly with the minimal padding (the Ti rails really help absorb a lot of shock).

I was skeptical at first, but was looking for the perfect blend of comfort, light weight, and affordability. The saddle has worked very well whether I'm on my daily 18 mile commute or in a recent 75km race (all off road).

The only draw back that I have is the leather ripped pretty easily during a crash on the pavement that I had. Hey, it was my fault and indestructibility was not one of the features that I was looking for. A little glue sealed it up nicely and the saddle still performs.

The SLR is an outstanding saddle and I recommend at least giving it a test drive.

San Marco, WTB

[Apr 26, 2009]
funrunner99

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable
Light weight

TI rail broke

Have this on my MTB bike, ride mostly cross country, weigh 200 lbs, really liked this saddle. Selle makes the best saddles out there, been riding on them for almost 20 years. Used to be a 200+ mile a week road racer, now just keeping in shape and racing my MTB a little. Extremely comfortable saddle but 9 or 10 months in one of the rails broke at the back of the clamp. Slid it forward a 1/4" and rode it for another 3-4 months but it's falling apart now. I am usually pretty easy on equipment and get a lot of use out of stuff so I can see understand this complaint popping up a lot. Anyhow just bought a Selle Italia SLR XC Vanox rail one, sounds like the rails are supposed to hold up better and they are meant for MTB so I will give it a try. If your lighter or on a road bike I would recommend it for sure. Gave it 3 on the value rating since they are a little pricey and it broke but still have to give it a 5 on the overall cause it was the best, most comfortable saddle I have ever had until it broke.

Selle Italia Ti Flite Gel

[Feb 23, 2009]
Zachariah

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, comfortable, looks sleek, high resale value.

None...and I am a huge weight weenie!

I have tried ALL high-end saddles, and has concluded the SLR is the BEST minimalist saddle around. However, this saddle is intended for ROAD USE ONLY. One crash and this saddle gets shredded easily. Don't expect Selle Italia to cover you, if ridden off-road. The key is try not to crash...which is almost impossible, in MTB.

My advice...get this saddle USED. Paying full retail is like buying a new car at a dealership- it drops in value by 30% the moment it leaves the lot. You won't find another lighytweight, comfy saddle around!

Fizik Gobi XM; Specialized Phenom SL; Selle San Marco ASPide; WTB Rocket V; AX Lightness; M2 Racer; Tune Speedneedle(the UGLIEST, most uncomfortable saddle on earth); Token Carbon

[Jul 07, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight. Nice ergonomic design.

Flims rails. Expensive.Not particularly comfortable.

One of the rails broke in half after 7 months of riding.... in Florida of all places! Either I need to lose weight (well I do sort of) or these rails need to be made stronger for the price you pay. Definitely not worth the price!

[Jun 17, 2008]
ex

OVERALL
Strength:

nothing because it breaks and you cant use it.

Extremely weak. The carbon piece that holds the nose of the titanium rails breaks. I only weigh 150 lbs. Warranty is useless, person who works there does not care about anything. Sounds like he used to be in sales and wants you to buy another one. Useless.

I was going uphill! and the pressure from me pushing on the saddle caused the front carbon piece that holds the front of the rails to snap! I cant believe it broke. They said that I had put too much pressure on it when I called them after mailing it to their warranty department. They wouldnt help me. I wont ever buy another selle product with a warranty department like this, there's too many other good companies out there making saddles.

wtb, tioga, specialized

[Aug 21, 2003]
Trevor

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight at 140g.
Great Looking - very sleek
Italian Quality

This saddle is more comfortable than it looks. I happen to think that it is more comfortable than say my Rocket V.

The saddle itself is constructed with a Carbon shell with 5g of padding and then a leather cover, finished with Ti rails. The beauty of the carbon body is that it will flex when the ground becomes bumpy making it really comfortable - and making riding more enjoyable. It isn't as curved or defined as much as some saddles to it may feel a little funny at first but when you do get comfortable you will love this great looking and feeling saddle.

It has to be said that this saddle is not suited to larger riders. And probably not suited for very very long rides.

WTB Saddles

[Apr 10, 2006]
Richard Loufek

OVERALL
Strength:

light and fairly comfortable.

Broke the rear rail bracket after less than 2 months of use. I am a cross-country rider and not doing any real radical stuff. Selle said the SLR is NOT for a mountain bike, so no warranty. Good-bye $$

Way to weak to be used on a mountain bike. Would have been nice to know before wasting $$.

Selle Italia Ti Flite, Specialized Alias

[Aug 27, 2003]
Tom Essick

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, initial comfort similar to Flite Gel Ti

One season saddle, not durable.

I bought this saddle for some weight reduction (not sure why, I'm 175 pounds). The saddle has a similar shape to the Flite Gel, just a lot thinner and less padding. Initally the saddle was great, but after about 7 months of trail pounding and racing, started noticing major discomfort! After examining the saddle, the padding near my "sit bones" was gone and the saddle had taken on a more triangular shape. The saddle edges were actually sagging, so it did not have that flat look most people notice. I've since ditched the saddle and went back to Flite Gel Ti's. If I ever start to "eat like a bird" and lose 10 pounds, I'll go back to this saddle! Bottom line: if you are a "lightweight", then by all means, the SLR is a great saddle. If you're a little heavier and want durability, then get something else.

Flite Gel, SDG

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.