SDG Bel-Air RL Saddle

Bel-Air RLTi-Alloy RailsThe Bel-Air line of saddles is known for its all-around comfort and functionality. For nearly a decade,The Bel-Air has been SDGs most popular saddle. New comfort enhancements and an updated profile makesThe latest generation Bel-Air RL more comfortableThan ever. 273mm x 140mm Approx. 276 grams

[Jan 15, 2013]
Mutantclover

OVERALL
Strength:

Good shape. Feels firm at first but is just right after break in. Nose feels well cushioned if you want to put your weight forward when climbing. Can be found for good prices.

Wish more of them came with the perforated upper material (ie on the snow camo model). I find the non-perforated cover is too tacky when wet, so if your shorts are wet/sweaty on a hot and humid day, they don't glide over the material as well, there is some stiction that leads to more chafing than necessary. I guess my preference is a saddle that is pretty slippery with just a little traction on the sides.

I have one of the older models (kevlar goes all the way to the front) and one of the newer models (kevlar stops 2 inches before the nose). The older models are thicker, softer and plusher and feel more like a hammock (too much so for my taste). The new models while looking similar and having the same shape are considerably more supportive and this was the one that I felt was stiff at first, but broke in to become "just right."

Durability has been good for me with my two saddles used for about 5 seasons, my guess is the reason some people bend the rails is likely due to a poor seatpost design (one that does not hold the rails very well and puts too much stress on them). I weigh about 200 lbs ready to ride. I only recently damaged a saddle when I tried to climb a wet, root-covered hill and slid down backwards and the rear of the saddle was what stopped me when it backed into a tree. There was a pop and the rail is now loose where it goes in, although it did not bend and still does not creak a couple rides later. I guess I will put that saddle on a less-used bike and buy a new one (this time with TI rails) for my Tallboy.

WTB Pure (wider and softer, more hammocklike), WTB Speed (most similar of what I've tried, but feels stubbier and narrower like there is no where to shift your weight and less support for someone with wider bones), WTB Rocket (way too short and narrow for my liking), a few others I don't remember

[May 19, 2012]
Benito

OVERALL
Strength:

very comfortable, affordable saddle. looks good with lots of colorful options

Bent the rails after 2-3 rides off road. Cover began peeling away after about a half of season hard riding

This saddle can be found at very reasonable prices and in several different color schemes. I was psyched to grab one but was disappointed one of the rails bent significantly after just a few off road rides. I stuck it out for about a year but the bent rail creaked on every ride. I'm a heavy rider and hit some pretty rough trails, but overall I have only ever bent one other saddle. I was also disappointed the cover peeling off several months ago. Lots of cheaper products have held up better. To be fair the saddle was always very comfortable.

[Feb 20, 2010]
johnnydirt2010

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfy, looks great, lasts for years.

Excellent saddle in super stylish covers. Fist one was Zebra skin, lasted for years. Just replaced with the same saddle but now in cow skin.

[Jan 16, 2009]
ocguy2004

OVERALL
Strength:

comfy

came stock on my GT idrive. this is a great saddle. very comfortable. can ride for hours without getting sore. i purchased a wtb rocket and its not nearly as comfortable...for me anyway. the rocket is a little smaller and just doesn't fit me right. i'm gonna get another one of these for my spec enduro sx...the enduro saddle is flat and not comfortable for longer rides.

[Aug 16, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

style style style only if you buy it with the leopard cover

some will say that the aluminium rail are really cheap and you absolutly need the titanium rail. that's not true, I'm a hard rider and my rail stay streath... buy it (leopard only)

wtb of a vertex 50

[Aug 16, 2008]
ProStacks

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, good looking, decent rails, good cover (water and tear resistant, easy to clean). Good for moderate Xc racing, or trail riding.

Too heavy for hardcore XC

Great seat for riding the trails and going on long rides. Good and comfortabe, but without all of the fat cuchioning that you see on some saddles. Looks good. I wouldnt have this saddle it I was looking to do Hardcore XC Racing, But for just cruising the trails and entry level XC its pretty good. Easy to clean and damage resistent. All together, a good buy.

Bel Air Titanium Rails

[Mar 19, 2006]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

light

Uncomfortable!!

I don't know if my arse is a different shape to the other reviewers, or if you yanks eat too many cheeseburgers, however, this is the most uncomfortable seat I've ever used. That's while wearing nix!

Don't buy this saddle on reputation, try it out first. Additionally, there is no such thing as "breaking in" a quality saddle. You should be able to find out pretty quickly if this saddle is for you.

I say, "horses for courses."

WTB Rocket V; Bontrager Race Lux

[Feb 18, 2006]
Guy

OVERALL
Strength:

comfy, light, super strong

none at all

I needed a good saddle that was going to be light weight and durable. Those two are not a combination you find very often, especially in a saddle that's only $58. I bought it with some reservation. During the first few rides I was careful, not wanting to bend the rails (as I have on a few other saddles). Then the "accidents" started happening. I've smashed this saddle against rocks while bailing out; I've landed very short, and hurt myself bouncing off the saddle; I've ridden off plenty of little drops while remaining seated. Absolutely nothing has happened to the saddle. If it weren't for the lable becoming slightly flaked, you wouldn't know this saddle had a hard year's worth of riding on it.

some cheap saddles, some expensive ones, none that were as good.

[Dec 26, 2006]
Nick Price

OVERALL
Strength:

all day comfort, without all the lardy padding, light, alot of styling choise.

materials differ depending on what colour option you have.

no womens version

i settled on this saddle after working my way through several other brands, i personally find it comfy, it offers a good range of positions, it doesnt snag your shorts easily, its light (Although not XC light, but XC light doesnt = all day comfort)

my only issues you may have are materials, some colour options (mainly fury models, zebra, tiger stripes etc) soak up water like a sponge, whereas slicker models (cammo, cork, cow print etc) are pretty much water proof - bare this in mind when considering which to buy.

i personally have a limited edition blue cammo on giant trance trail bike, and a zebra stripe finish on a kinesis maxlight hardtail.

value 3 - a little pricey

overall 5 - i love em!

WTB, selle royal

[Dec 10, 2006]
scott
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

looks cool, not to hard

rails on bottom are weak

this seat sucks i got home with my new bike rode for 15 minites the next day it was bent and i dident even wipe out and im not fat ether im 120 pounds so i had to ride with a broken seat for a month entel i had enuf money to get a new one.if i were you i wouldent buy this seat its a waste of money.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.