SQ Lab 311 Handlebar

SQlab handlebar offerings for 2015 feature varying levels of sweep, designed to place the rider’s hands in an ergonomical position.

[Oct 30, 2016]
stb
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Just the right amount of sweep and rise.
High-end quality aluminum bar
Exceptional finish

Very hard to find at a LBS.
A bit pricey for aluminum.

After struggling to find a handlebar that was available with the right amount of rise and sweep to accommodate my trashed shoulder joint, but not so much sweep as to adversely effect handling, I came across the SQ Labs 311 bars.

Using a bar with a standard 5-8 degree sweep and/or a rise of 25mm or less, puts my shoulder in a very uncomfortable and unstable position due to my limited external rotation and chronic arthritis. Having tried a bar with a 30 degree sweep, while more comfortable, I found it negatively effected my stability riding rough sections of trail (I've been riding mountain bikes continuously since 1983, so it's not a skills issue).

The 50mm rise and 16 degree sweep puts my hands, and hence my shoulder, in the perfect neutral position. Now, after a long ride, I no longer find my shoulder aching from a less than optimal riding position. For me, the somewhat high cost for an aluminum bar is more than outweighed by the perfect fit.