Jones H-Bar Handlebar

TIG welded, 3AL-2.5V Seamless Titanium with a 1" main tube which is round in the center and tapers to a 7/8" oval where it meets and is welded to the 7/8" grip tubes. The tubes have different wall thickness to optimize strength and weight.

[May 20, 2016]
tbaier

OVERALL
Strength:

Something different
Hand positions
Stiff

Expensive (relative to most bars)

Here are a few thoughts about the loop bar, which I have been using for the last 8 months. I used it to breathe some new life into my old 29er MTB. This is not a full review. If you haven't been to the Jones website or YouTube channel you should. Most info can be found there. These is just one man's thoughts on switching from traditional risers to these.

1. You will likely need a shorter stem. I went down 20mm, I would go down further if I had the stem. Your elbows should be bent. If you are leaning forward and/or your elbows are near locked, you're doing it wrong.

2. If feel like I need to run a meatier rear tire. Maybe it's the fact that the bars allow you to slide further back on the bike. I feel like I am asking the rear tire to do more. I've never had a problem with low-ish tread rear tires (Ikons, Nanos, etc) even in the worst conditions. Now I want something with a little more bite. Not 100% sure it's the bars causing this, just a theory.

3. The ability to slide far rearward makes these "go fast" bars. That's what they excel at. They reward smooth and fast riding. They are point and fly. On the downside, I like these less than traditional bars for rocky, technical stuff. East coast rooty singletrack. Stuff where you can't really go fast. Maybe that's just me.

4. 45 degrees may not be a magic number. My hands seem to want to naturally turn just a little less. It would be impractical to make many different bend angles.

5. The 710s are pretty long but if you set your brake levers just so, you can reach them from anywhere on the bar. Don't be afraid to tinker with their positioning (reach included, as specified) before you wrap them with bar tape (if you go that route).

6. I'm not a huge fan of foam grips but their lack of grip pattern does make them easy to change position. Important for minor adjustments as the terrain dictates. Still, I wish Oury made some loooong grips that would fit the whole extension part of the bar. Thinking about cutting up some old pairs to help cover the length.

7. These are very stiff bars.

8. Some mentioned reduced lock to lock turning radius because of the sweep. I have not found that. Perhaps these people turn a bike wrong? Either way, there is pretty much never a time where this occurs on a trail. Moot point.

[Mar 22, 2012]
mick

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent product (H Loop Alum Bar). Thought about MTB Drop Bars but decided against them. The H Loop is a better alternative. I have stopped riding single-track due to a knee injury. This bar allows me to ride long distances on fire trails and dirt roads with plenty of hand position options. The 45 degree sweep seems more natural than the previous bars I have used. No flex noticed so far but I have only used them for 3 months. Buy if you need a variety of hand positions and comfort for long rides.

Versatile bars for a reasonable price.

None, just the usual riser and non-riser MTB bars over the years, fine for single track.

[Jun 09, 2009]
Drevil

OVERALL
Strength:

Great shape and angle
Light for the amount of material
Takes the sharp-edged sting out of rough trails
Plenty of places to mount accessories
The forward extensions give you a great hand position on smoother fireroads

Expensive
A little heavy for the weight weenie

I've been using the Jeff Jones H-bars for over 3 years. I really like the swept back position, in addition to all the other positions that it gives you: on the flats in the center, over the crossbar section, the forward extensions. Another thing I like about it is that it moves the flat cross bar section forward (at least with all my setups) so that when I'm goofing around with my hack-job trials skills, I don't bang front of my legs on the bars. It also allows me to lean way back in a comfortable position, while still maintaining a solid grip.

On long rides (I've done >10 12/24-hour and long-distance races with them), the bars remain comfortable for the duration. I should mention that I only use rigid forks on all my bikes.

I've tried going back to straight bars, and my hands started to hurt after not too long. I'm a JJ H-Bar (and Loop and J-bar) convert, and I'm not going back to straight. Ever. :)

On-One Mary, Moustache, Salsa 17 deg bend

[Jun 01, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Great design, Titanium fine gripped and wrapped with cork.
Great shape for better handling in several conditions. Better hands position increases control and power up hill.
Wide hand position "open" your chest for better breath and shoulder muscles work out. Fine control downhill

High price for the Ti version. Nice price (60 Euros) in aluminium one, by the licensed Titec.Weight is a little penality, in the feeling control at the first time.Some little problem with trigger and twist shifter position.

I love Jones products, as they are designed, crafted and tested carefully by Jeff. I fully tested the aluminium version by Titec and I have changed my style of riding in better. Titanium version has natural shock absorbing qualities. The Jones handlebars (Loop H-bar, Cut H-bar, Original H-bar,) are an important upgrade to your bicycle set up, off the mass market products. Get it!

None.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.