9point8 Fall-Line Dropper Seatpost

• Convertible inline / offset

[Oct 16, 2019]
Art_mart

OVERALL
Strength:

The quality of the unit that I own is fantastic. It's been almost four years now and everything still works perfectly. I had some issues due to the missing valve cap which let dirt get inside the valve and causing it to leak air. After replacing the valve core ($1 fix) it's as good as new. They have every imaginable spare part available though the website and to me it show the commitment to keep the products repairable not just make you buy new. The customer service in my experience is also fantastic - very quick and helpful (considering the fact I bought my post used). All in all I highly recommend the fall line.

I guess the install can be a bit tricky but I was able to figure it out and It wasn't too challenging.

Used
2015
[Sep 06, 2019]
stache

OVERALL
Strength:

Run mine on my stache. Set it up two years ago. Haven't touched it since. Not many bike parts you can say that about.

Nothing to mention.

[Aug 28, 2019]
FlatpedalThunder

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolutely bulletproof design, easy to setup and easy to work on! Customer service was quick to answer questions and help me find the right size, even doing a custom stroke to get a better fit.

On the more expensive side (but worth it).

Full Price
[Mar 24, 2019]
Surfingjeff

OVERALL
Strength:

I have the current fall line . I had a slight issue when I installed increased the slack tension on the cable and it worked fine . It’s very smooth and now wth the new R version is the Ightest you can find . It’s very smooth and very stable does not have much side to side slack. I put it on my electric bike . I’m thinking of replacing my Specialized command post increase the drop to 150and loose 100grams 416 grams it’s lighter than LVs carbon one with much more travel. . Also iif you want a set back the choices are very limiting so this checked off all the boxes .

Pay attention on installation make sure you have just enoughcable slack or it won’t work . Once you figure it out it’s worth the trouble works well.

[Jul 25, 2018]
mdppbr

OVERALL
Strength:

I actually like the post. As good as my KS posts and I did not have the same difficulty with setup as some others.

Customer service is terrible, and they expect the customer to pay for their mistakes. I ordered my post with the wolf tooth level which was not included in the original packaging. I called 9point8 to have it taken care of but nobody picked up so I left a message. That went unanswered for several days so I sent an email, which was answered but they refused to overnight the missing part and refused to give any discount for the trouble. When I got fed up and threatened to return the entire kit they wanted to charge me a restock fee. That is no way to treat a customer, I won't be buying anything else from 9point8. I expect they will go under at this rate.

full price
2018
[Jun 15, 2018]
jpv6578

OVERALL
Strength:

-up to 200mm drop -seems sturdy

-way too difficult to set up. Most all other droppers are much easier. -Frustrating to own -Company doesn't stand behind their product

[Mar 04, 2018]
rattpoison

OVERALL
Strength:

It looks well made.

This company is REALLY bad. I received a faulty seatpost(brake would not engage), and when I sent it back, they still charged me a restocking fee and the cost of the upper tube because it no longer looked new after the horrible first ride. Mistakes happen, but when you hear that a consumer was sent a faulty product, they at least deserve an apology. To cap a bad experience with a restocking fee, and cost to make that product new again is all in favor of the faulty company and ridiculous. In the end, I have no post, had over $100 stolen from me, and had a horrible experience trying to make their product work. Thanks, 9.8, you're horrible individuals there.

[Oct 27, 2017]
Joseph
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Very smooth even when installed in a shallow seat tube angled frame. Lots of travel (175mm). Compact design allows for maximum insertion compared to Reverb. Cable actuation is simple. Easy install. Great customer service.

No rebound speed damping. Speed controlled by air pressure alone and has no damping. Have to grease it periodically for smooth action.

I had wonderful customer service prior to deciding to buy this dropper. They provided me with as much information as I asked for and were very courteous and prompt. The seatpost works wonderfully. It's really smooth. I did have a few slips of the seatpost without actuating the lever, but those have gone away. I read that the brake seats itself over time. No slipping for a while now and I still consider it pretty new. I'm riding a Slash 8 and the frame's seat post tube bends. I installed a Reverb 170mm but couldn't get it into the frame far enough to be really comfortable when doing big downhill stuff. This fall line 175 inserts further and allows me to ride lower when I desire. This is possible because it doesn't have a really lame, long hydraulic hose tube sticking out of the bottom of it. This post is a lot smoother than my reverb was too.
Yes, it's expensive. But in this case you get what you pay for. Hopefully it lasts a long time.
Only real downside to this post is that you can't adjust the pressure and rebound speed separately.

Sram Reverb Stealth. Giant Switch

[Apr 13, 2017]
rollertoaster

OVERALL
Strength:

on paper this thing looks great

does not function as advertised

I really want to love this post, it checks all my boxes. 200mm of drop, mechanical cable actuation, microadjust saddle angle, and the ability to remove the saddle without losing the angle setting. Unfortunately my post has been plagued by problems from the start. After the first ride it had leaked down to nothing in the air spring. A couple rides later the brake started slipping and a "brake reset" did not remedy the issue. I was forced to disassemble the post to clean contamination off the brake and out of the air chamber. A few rides later the brake started slipping again, no way in hell the contamination came from the pump this time , as I have switched to a separate previously unused shock pump to use exclusively on this post. Now for the last straw, last night I felt a grinding sensation while lowering the saddle and the stanchion has 2 large scratches which have somehow occurred from the internals of the post.

I have been in posession of this post for under a month, while injured, so it has seen only a handful of rides. I have emailed the company 4 times (beginning with the first time it leaked) since buying the post and have received not one reply. Facebook messenger, no reply. Posts on their page, no reply. Phone call, no answer and so far no call back. This is probably the worst experience I have ever had with a bike part.

ks lev, rockshox reverb

[Dec 21, 2016]
mn037608

OVERALL
Strength:

Infinite adjustments

pricy

Somewhat underwhelmed by this seat post for the cost. Very underwhelmed by the reactivity and service provided by the folks at 9point8. I would say the post is a tad bit better than my previous Command Post IR which is half the price of this one. Installation was not difficult, Seat post got lost in shipping, but the folks at 9point8 really didn’t feel it was a big deal and never got back to me when I asked them to trace and help. Inquired several times after the post was lost for weeks before they finally engaged. Not looking forward to an issue if I need 9point8's help. Fingers crossed!

Command Post IR

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.