TRP Spyke Mechanical Disc Brake System

Finally a mechanical disc brake for mountain bikes and fat bikes that offers superior performance and is a snap to set up. The Spyke is a dual sided mechanical where both pads actuate providing even and precise clamping force. This translates into even pad wear and, with the addition of a simple cable barrel adjuster, the pads can be adjusted easily and hassle free. No frustration at completely adjusting the whole caliper, only to have it continue to drag the fixed side, adding wear!

[Jul 25, 2019]
Chasseur

OVERALL
Strength:

I have this set up on a shock front, paired to a rear Avid Arch Rival 50. The Spyke is very nice. Because of the dirtdrops that I have for bars, I have opted for regular, "compressible" cable housing. It is still very good. They are extremely similar in engagement and modulation to the rear Arch Rivals (which, if you have not used them before, are truly amazing, amazing rim brakes). The dual pistons have been super consistent and have not strayed from perfect position after 5k feet of really really REALLY brutal, giant-boldered, endless scree 4x4 descents in Colorado Front Range.

Once, my inexpensive 100mm QR skewer did come loose during a hammering descent, and the brake was consistently functional and is undamaged. I have since upgraded that QR to a DT SWISS RWS item, with no subsequent issues.

$74

2019
[Feb 06, 2019]
metalskool

OVERALL
Strength:

Dual sided actuation of the brake pads, dust/mud cover over the pads, easy alignment & set up, take readily available Shimano 515 style pads, best stopping power of any mechanical disc brakes I've ridden, easy access to maintain and clean, and good pricing. (I got a front & rear set on ebay with all hardware & rotors for $95.00 US)

Pricing can be high = look on ebay for Taiwanese vendors with best pricing.

95.00
Purchased:
New
2018
[Sep 21, 2015]
Radu G

OVERALL
Strength:

Smart, mechanical, strong, full option-type brake:
- simultaneously pads actuation
- security bolt for the pads
- mud and sand guard over the pads
- independent pad adjustment
Tremendous braking power, comparable with an hydraulic. I just sold my Shimano XT and I have discovered I did a good choice switching back on mechanical brakes.
I had Avid BB7 between 2008 and 2011 and after them Avid Elixir R and then, last years, Shimano XT and I can say that TRP SPYKEs are over BB7 and almost the same as Shimano XT in matter of braking power.
They do not have fading, are strong, powerfull and trustworthy.

I recommend them to everybody with hydraulics phobia.

Avid BB7, but Spykes are over them.

[Aug 18, 2015]
Nurse Ben

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, robust, simple, excellent function in winter

Weak compared to a hydraulic, pads wear quickly

I ran the first generation TRP Spyre for a couple years before the Spyke was released. The Spyke is a upgrade to the Spyre, the throw was changed so it works better with a MTB lever, also the pad adjustment was improved and a dust shield was added to the rear of the pads.

Overall I like the TRP Spyke, though it is not as powerful as a decent hydraulic brake.

The most frustrating thing with the Spyke is that the pads don't self adjust, so they require a fair amout of fiddling when used hard, such as at a DH bike park.

The benefits are less concern for failure and winter function is excellent.

These are my preferred mechanical brake over the BB7.

BB7, Spyre, Tektro

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.