SRAM X0 Disc Brake System

SRAM split its X0 Disc Brakes into two distinct versions. One aimed for aggressive trail riders, aptly named 'Trail' -- for those that prefer power and adjustments over weight. And, standard X0 which favors low-weight over complexity.While the Trail model differs greatly from previous versions of X0, this one builds on the existing two-piston, two-piece caliper from previous iterations -- with an updated lever assembly. This isn't the old give it a new finish and mark-it-up approach.The X0 brake continues to utilize Avid's Taperbore technology to offer progressive modulation. But, in the spirit of weight reduction, it forgoes the pad contact adjustment. You can still adjust reach to place the carbon lever in the most ergonomic position. Unlike the Trail lever, though, this model rotates around a hollow pivot and bushing instead of a bearing and solid pivot assembly. These two features alone drop the system's weight to just over 300 grams, without sacrificing performance. At the caliper end of things Avid continues to employ its proven two-piston units. They're constructed from forged aluminum for stiffness and cooling efficiency, and it uses a banjo fitting for the braided polyester hose.This allows clean routing on the majority of frame designs with standard post mounts. Speaking of clean aesthetics, the X0 brakes are fully compatible with Matchmaker to offer ergonomic and space saving mounting for compatible remotes and shifters.The Avid X0 Disc Brake comes with either a polished aluminum or black finish. Front and rear brakes are sold separately, and rotor sizes are 160, 180, or 200mm.

[Feb 01, 2020]
atos07

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks goof carbon leight weight buuuut

No brake power problematics extreme expensive. All other x0 parts ar nice but the brakes are just bad.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Feb 01, 2020]
atos07

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks goof carbon leight weight buuuut

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Jul 20, 2015]
Rhett

OVERALL
Strength:

They were free after I complained about my X7 being horrible. No questions asked good customer service.

These things are loud and just don't work properly. I am happy with my other Avid components

I bought a Giant Anthem x49er a couple years ago which came with AVID components. I am happy with the bike and all components but the brakes, in particular the rear brakes. They take a really high level of finger power to engage and make a lot of noise. At first I had a lower grade version, but then I got upgraded after complaining how hard they were to work and loud. The bike shop was super helpful and told me they have had problems with them and got me upgraded to X0. The XO worked ok my first ride, then same problem. I took the bike to another shop and had them re-bleed etc. This is the best mechanic in town and still the same problem comes up.

I rented a bike on a Sun Valley trip with Shimano's, and there is zero comparison. An overused rental with Shimanos was 10x better.

[Jun 23, 2013]
Phillip
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, looks sleek, good feel, nice finish, strong (when they work, which is rarely), warranty

Not reliable, leaks, too hard to bleed, expensive for what you get

So my LBS warrantied the Elixir CR's that came on my used bike. The bike and brakes only had 4 months of riding on them. Front and rear would not hold a bleed. The original owner said they did this from new. I had the shop bleed them several times. The rear caliper then started to leak. The shop was able to send them back and get me a full set of 2013 XO's. Apparently Avid's warranty/customer service is good. It didn't matter though because one of the brand new brakes started leaking from the lever on its very first ride! I took it back to the shop to have them take a look and shorten the line. They thought the fluid was leftover from manufacturing. Needless to say, they continued to leak on the next few rides. By this time I was fuming at Avid. I had been to the shop about 10 times in 2 months related to my Avid brakes. Avid is sending me a new lever and I'll be switching brands. I'll never again own their hydo brakes.

[Apr 26, 2013]
Norman Townsend

OVERALL
Strength:

They look awesome

weak, unpredictable and I project they will be like my other Avid brakes that needed to be bled almost monthly.

I was sucked into the "XO" factor and a sweet internet deal. I expected much more. Should have invested in the Shimano Brakes. First time I should have listened to my LBS.

[Mar 06, 2013]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looks, lots of stopping power.

Inconsistant. Bleeding

I have had these brakes on my 2013 Anthem 29er for 3 weeks. They were a warranty replacement for Avid Elixer 5's. These XO brakes have awesome power, but inconsistant each time you grabbed them you had a different modulation feel. Just pulled the bikeout after a couple weeks layoff and no brakes at all. Just like the 5's master cylinder leaks air. Not sure why so many problems, but SRAM needs to fix this issue. Back to the shop again for another set of apology brakes?

[Feb 17, 2013]
JDog

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustability, stopping power

Stock pads

Good combination of stopping power and light weight. I would suggest getting a set of Jagwire Red Zone Comp pads to replace the stock pads along with cleaning the rotors and a proper bed in procedure.. Stock pads I have used on all Avid brakes are subject to squeals and turkey gobble. With the Jagwire pads I have had no noise issuess and the brakes stop great with them. Bleed on the brakes is easy with on line instructions and pad replacement is a breeze.

[Sep 28, 2012]
blahblahx

OVERALL
Strength:

sometimes they work

Need constant bleeding. Brake lever very poor design. Look where the bolt goes through the clamp. There is less than 1/8" of material between bolt hole and mount to bar. This is a very high failure point. Lots of use or a couple movements of the brake lever, snap goes the plastic, non-replaceable part.

Could buy better at wall mart, poor clamp design, constant bleeding needed

avid xx, magura marta, shimaNO xtr

[Jun 02, 2012]
paulo

OVERALL
Strength:

great stopping power, no noise!

Nothing.

I have for 6 moths with 4500 kmw done some of those trainning and racing and those brakes are really great

[May 13, 2012]
torque29er

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Looks. Easy lever adjustability.

Don't work the same every time. Inconsistent modulation, not confident inspiring. Noisy.

These came stock on my Scalpel 1. Used them for only a couple of weeks, about 180 miles. Too many trips to the LBS for constant adjustments and bleeds, I replaced the with XTR.

XTR among others

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.