SRAM Guide Series Disc Brake System

Best Price At
Available At

What’s it going to take to ride that line? It’s steep. It’s rocky. You’ve passed it a hundred times. But not this time. With the all-new SRAM Guide R, you have the power. Proven 4-piston calipers give you smooth, one-finger control. Features like Reach Adjust let you dial it in just right. And Guide perfectly complements other SRAM components and gives you flawless performance on every ride.

Available Models:

• Guide R
  • Guide RS
  • Guide RSC
  • Guide Ultimate

[Sep 30, 2019]
Lfuerst1300

OVERALL
Strength:

There are none

This is the second set in 2 years, they compress and stay compressed. They break when we are out of town which makes them difficult to get repaired.

2016
[Sep 23, 2019]
slj

OVERALL
Strength:

The strengths of the guide R are Good heat dissipation on long downhill rides Good traction on levers during wet weather

Poor performance in hot weather If left in the sun they lock up even after recall replacement Levels scratch easily with minor crashes Accumulate mud and grim on pads which can score discs Long travel until biting point too much modulation Personal experience I’ve had these breaks bled twice and replaced once under the recall period they are just overall not very good for the money. They rub constantly and lock up in the sun. I’ve had to cool my breaks and master cylinder before races because the breaks were locked up. They are also a pain to service they take DOT fluid which is extremely dangerous if handled incorrectly you have to cover the bike up so you don’t ruin the paint. During very minor crashes they get scratched and look awful it’s.

[Sep 23, 2019]
slj

[Jul 15, 2019]
sonofmickel

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good. I have the Guide R, no bite point adjustment is a major oversite for these brakes. Sram should make just one brake lever with bite point adjustment. Bean-counters made the "differences" in the models of levers. Sram should have a trade-in policy for the levers that may actually work.

Bite point not adjustable. Horrible reach adjustment for people under 6'. Waay too much free stroke. Brakes fade on descents. Dot fluid. Bleeding process.

2019
[May 26, 2019]
Jimbodabimbo

OVERALL
Strength:

My experience with them has been good. I’ve got guides rsc’s on a few bike and also code. I find thenguides more powerful than xt and xtr(2016). The modulation is good. I swapped them for my Avids and xt’s which were either fading or locking up on long descents. I run 200mm rotars on the front and scintered pads. The rsc’s offer good adjustment.

I did have a problem with a set of levers jamming on warmer weather. I’d bought them online and they were around 18 months old. I chatted to sram who asked me to take them to the lbs. They were fixed for free. There was a bad batch apparently. I’ve not had any problems with the guides otherwise. They are finicky to bleed but was able to do it at home in shed with YouTube and the sram bleed kit. I’veonly needed to bleed them when installing them for the first time. Otherwise maintenance free except for pads.

[Apr 29, 2019]
Dundee

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm warning others: DO NOT BUY THESE. They are great as long as they work. But, the brake levers seize up eventually and won't return, meaning your brake is stuck on. Search the web on this, it is a known issue. I got mine un-stuck by applying an ice cube to the housing until it cooled down and released. Mind you, it was not overheated from use on a ride, it was sticking in my garage at room temperature. As soon as the brake lever housing returned to room temperature it started sticking again. As I said, this is a known issue that is easy to find by searching the web. Soooo, now I have to either buy new brake levers or take my master cylinder completely apart and sand down the plastic insides so it stops sticking--search youtube, there are videos showing how to do this, it is that common. Doesn't seem that SRAM has bothered to support this issue with appropriate replacement parts. You just have to take it apart and hope you can sand it until it moves freely again, and then hope you can get everything back together. I don't know what LBS would charge to do this, if they would even do it, but it seems that a new set of brake levers would probably be about the same price or cheaper. And, the new ones might actually work. EDIT: LOL, look at reviews for these brakes on JensonUSA: https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-Guide-R-Disc-Brake?&utm_medium=AVLK&utm_campaign=Datafeed&zmam=57802616&zmas=3&zmac=59&zmap=BR197C01&avad=43543_a15b807e5&rpi=33127

SRAM, you totally suck. Look, nothing is perfect. But, when you have a highly common known issue with a product like this, the least you could do is put out replacement parts and explain how the resolve the problem permanently. It sucks that I have to take apart my brakes and sand down the little plastic parts hoping that they will start working again.

came with bike
2016
[May 27, 2018]
jukeyboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Came with my Trek Stache 9.8. Ridden it for over a year. I have no complaints. The levers are comfortable and easy to adjust. Has a nice feel when braking. Doesn't get overly aggressive when having to hard brake in the corners. Honestly, it does what I want when I want it.

None so far

[May 25, 2016]
Cayenne_Pepa

OVERALL
Strength:

~ Buttery modulation
~ Good power
~ BIte adjustment
~ SRAM Matchmaker compatible

~ Corrosive DoT 5.1 fluid
~ Heavy rotors
~ Pistons tend to stick, after getting hot
~ Frequent bleeding process is VERY involved
~ High cost of ownership

Compared to my Shimano XTR BR-M988 Trails - the Guide RSC has only smoothest modulation going for it. The older XTR still has more power, uses MIneral OIl and bike can still be stored upside-down....try that with any Avid/SRAM brakes!

SRAM's attempt at competing with Magura and Shimano comes-up a bit short. Shimano still rules, because it's lighter, needs only two pistons for the same power and eco-friendly Mineral Oil gravity bleeds are dead simple.

~ Avid Elixir R SL
~ Hayes Stroker Prime

[Dec 04, 2015]
obs08

OVERALL
Strength:

modulation, decent weight, power

these brakes are awesome. ive used them on every type of trail and they have never let me down. lbs bled them when they were brand new and they have had no issues since. the modulation is awesome, the power has never left me looking for more. a little pricey but the reliability and overall quality of the brake makes up for it. these are the best of the best, dont hesitate to spend the money

[Sep 10, 2015]
AustinC

OVERALL
Strength:

Uh... they look good.

I have absolutely no confidence in these brakes. Overheat and fade on long descents. Inconsistent performance. Require frequent bleeding. Unreliable. Not as much power as Shimano XT. Sound familiar to anyone?

These Guide R came stock on my Devinci Spartan. I wanted to like them, especially and after reading about how it was a totally new design. At first they were fine, not as much power as Shimano XTs but powerful enough and yeah they have better modulation. Then I hit a serious descent (Suicide Trail here in SoCal) and I got a lot of fade. I wasn't stoked about that. After 15 rides both brakes were spongy, and I was prepping the bike for a ride one morning and the levers were pulling to the bars.

After a bleed at a reputable shop they seemed great. Then I at the top of the climb on my ride I noticed the rear brake lever was sticking. When I pulled on it and it stuck there and didn't return, so the rear brake was dragging. So I took it easy on the way down and somewhere along the way it started working. Two rides later, the problem is worse, and after another hard descent (T and A Trail) the rear lever once again pulls to the bars. Enough. I have absolutely no confidence in these brakes.

I've owned four sets of Shimanos and have never had a single problem with them. Once or twice a year I have to bleed them, which takes all of 10 minutes. No DOT fluid to worry about, no dual-syringe "degassing" or complicated bleeding procedure.

So I just bought another set of Shimano XTs for the Spartan.

What a disappointment. I never had a set of Avids that worked and now this "completely new design" is worse in my experience. What a waste of my time and money.

Shimano XT, XTR, Avid

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.