SRAM Guide Series Disc Brake System

Best Price At
Available At

What’s it going to take to ride that line? It’s steep. It’s rocky. You’ve passed it a hundred times. But not this time. With the all-new SRAM Guide R, you have the power. Proven 4-piston calipers give you smooth, one-finger control. Features like Reach Adjust let you dial it in just right. And Guide perfectly complements other SRAM components and gives you flawless performance on every ride.

Available Models:

• Guide R
  • Guide RS
  • Guide RSC
  • Guide Ultimate

[May 20, 2020]
norbertriedi

OVERALL
Strength:

I like the Guide Ultimate Series with Centerline 180 mm rotors and cheapest chinese no name brake pads. It brakes very good and – most important on mountain terrain – it's reliable! I ride it on a BOLD Linkin Trail classic 29" bike since octobre 2016. Total elevation gain 755'474 m, 11588 km, 1178 hours. 378'737 m of the total elevation gain is downhill (rough alpine single trails only). I service/bleed the system once or twice a year (disassemble, clean all parts, control/replace pistons & o-rings if necessary). Best bleeding video instructions in my opinion is Park Tool's < https://youtu.be/ITBXxS8qirQ > (How To Bleed Hydraulic Disc Brakes – SRAM® Bleeding Edge). I clean the four pistons external when it's time to replace brake pads. Pads I used last average: Chinese No Name (very cheap), alu/resin, 1800 km; SRAM (expensive), steel/sinter, 600 km; SRAM (expensive), Alu/organic, 500 km; Swissstop (very expensive), alu/resin, 350 km

Expensive spare parts.

[Mar 30, 2020]
deputydog2003

OVERALL
Strength:

They look nice

They are terrible brakes. I just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper aluminum comp that came with Guide R brakes. I gave them a good shot, but I opted to pay almost $500.00 to upgrade the breaker on my brand new Stumpjumper. That’s how bad the SRAM brakes are compared to Shimano. I replaced them with the Shimano XT Diore brakes and I couldn’t be happier. Everyone in the bike industry says the same thing... the SRAM brakes are soft and the Shimano brakes stop on a dime. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Guide R brakes!

2020
[Sep 30, 2019]
Lfuerst1300

OVERALL
Strength:

There are none

This is the second set in 2 years, they compress and stay compressed. They break when we are out of town which makes them difficult to get repaired.

[Sep 23, 2019]
slj

OVERALL
Strength:

The strengths of the guide R are Good heat dissipation on long downhill rides Good traction on levers during wet weather

Poor performance in hot weather If left in the sun they lock up even after recall replacement Levels scratch easily with minor crashes Accumulate mud and grim on pads which can score discs Long travel until biting point too much modulation Personal experience I’ve had these breaks bled twice and replaced once under the recall period they are just overall not very good for the money. They rub constantly and lock up in the sun. I’ve had to cool my breaks and master cylinder before races because the breaks were locked up. They are also a pain to service they take DOT fluid which is extremely dangerous if handled incorrectly you have to cover the bike up so you don’t ruin the paint. During very minor crashes they get scratched and look awful it’s.

[Sep 23, 2019]
slj

[Jul 15, 2019]
sonofmickel

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good. I have the Guide R, no bite point adjustment is a major oversite for these brakes. Sram should make just one brake lever with bite point adjustment. Bean-counters made the "differences" in the models of levers. Sram should have a trade-in policy for the levers that may actually work.

Bite point not adjustable. Horrible reach adjustment for people under 6'. Waay too much free stroke. Brakes fade on descents. Dot fluid. Bleeding process.

2019
[May 26, 2019]
Jimbodabimbo

OVERALL
Strength:

My experience with them has been good. I’ve got guides rsc’s on a few bike and also code. I find thenguides more powerful than xt and xtr(2016). The modulation is good. I swapped them for my Avids and xt’s which were either fading or locking up on long descents. I run 200mm rotars on the front and scintered pads. The rsc’s offer good adjustment.

I did have a problem with a set of levers jamming on warmer weather. I’d bought them online and they were around 18 months old. I chatted to sram who asked me to take them to the lbs. They were fixed for free. There was a bad batch apparently. I’ve not had any problems with the guides otherwise. They are finicky to bleed but was able to do it at home in shed with YouTube and the sram bleed kit. I’veonly needed to bleed them when installing them for the first time. Otherwise maintenance free except for pads.

[Apr 29, 2019]
Dundee

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm warning others: DO NOT BUY THESE. They are great as long as they work. But, the brake levers seize up eventually and won't return, meaning your brake is stuck on. Search the web on this, it is a known issue. I got mine un-stuck by applying an ice cube to the housing until it cooled down and released. Mind you, it was not overheated from use on a ride, it was sticking in my garage at room temperature. As soon as the brake lever housing returned to room temperature it started sticking again. As I said, this is a known issue that is easy to find by searching the web. Soooo, now I have to either buy new brake levers or take my master cylinder completely apart and sand down the plastic insides so it stops sticking--search youtube, there are videos showing how to do this, it is that common. Doesn't seem that SRAM has bothered to support this issue with appropriate replacement parts. You just have to take it apart and hope you can sand it until it moves freely again, and then hope you can get everything back together. I don't know what LBS would charge to do this, if they would even do it, but it seems that a new set of brake levers would probably be about the same price or cheaper. And, the new ones might actually work. EDIT: LOL, look at reviews for these brakes on JensonUSA: https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-Guide-R-Disc-Brake?&utm_medium=AVLK&utm_campaign=Datafeed&zmam=57802616&zmas=3&zmac=59&zmap=BR197C01&avad=43543_a15b807e5&rpi=33127

SRAM, you totally suck. Look, nothing is perfect. But, when you have a highly common known issue with a product like this, the least you could do is put out replacement parts and explain how the resolve the problem permanently. It sucks that I have to take apart my brakes and sand down the little plastic parts hoping that they will start working again.

came with bike
[May 27, 2018]
jukeyboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Came with my Trek Stache 9.8. Ridden it for over a year. I have no complaints. The levers are comfortable and easy to adjust. Has a nice feel when braking. Doesn't get overly aggressive when having to hard brake in the corners. Honestly, it does what I want when I want it.

None so far

[May 25, 2016]
Cayenne_Pepa
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

~ Buttery modulation
~ Good power
~ BIte adjustment
~ SRAM Matchmaker compatible

~ Corrosive DoT 5.1 fluid
~ Heavy rotors
~ Pistons tend to stick, after getting hot
~ Frequent bleeding process is VERY involved
~ High cost of ownership

Compared to my Shimano XTR BR-M988 Trails - the Guide RSC has only smoothest modulation going for it. The older XTR still has more power, uses MIneral OIl and bike can still be stored upside-down....try that with any Avid/SRAM brakes!

SRAM's attempt at competing with Magura and Shimano comes-up a bit short. Shimano still rules, because it's lighter, needs only two pistons for the same power and eco-friendly Mineral Oil gravity bleeds are dead simple.