SRAM 9.0 Disc Brake System

• Full hydraulic system: highly efficient power transfer
  • Weight: 292 grams (brake lever, caliper and brake line)
  • Compact design: lightweight hydraulic lever
  • Fixed four-piston design: fully retracting brake pads for silent, drag-free performance
  • Durable construction: high-pressure stainless steel braid with protective coating.
  • Tool-free pad replacement
  • Heavy Duty Vented stainless steel rotors: 160mm-diameter standard with 200mm-diameter optional

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 16, 2013]
    robert cantrell

loud sticky

Will never buy sram again nothing but sticky calipers, loud had them warrantied even more sticky loud brakes

only ride SHIMANO

NONE

[Jul 10, 2003]
    Stephan

OVERALL

OK, now they have been put to the acid test! See my earlier post. Just got back from three days bashing around Downieville, and another day of epic proportions on the Tahoe Rim Trail & Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. These brakes ROCK! Hot, dusty, dirty & no fade, just consistent powerful performers. I am impressed.

[Aug 20, 2003]
    Ted

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light weight, four caliper design, brake levers, excellent stopping power.

The brake hoses should be designed in such a way that you can shorten the length. The gray color really doesn't match anything. They should be black. :-(

For the price, you can't beat these brakes. SRAM makes quality products and I love to buy anything non-Shimano. I also modified the spring slightly to increase the tension. **TIP** drain the crappy fluid that comes with these and replace with DOT 5.1 brake fluid. My older Hope Minis required 5.1 and I found out why. You will instantly feel the difference. I've only been able to find 5.1 at motorcycle shops and bleeding these brakes is a breeze. Shortening the brake hoses sucked! Great product all around.

Hayes, Hope Mini

[Jun 20, 2003]
    Stephan

OVERALL
    Strength:

POWER, modulation, overall design

None found yet

Although only a few rides in, these have impressed me. Buy 'em if you want great value & performance! I considered (at least initially) everything out on the market; in the end, Sh*tmano was the only other considered (I'm trying to avoid them [Campy on the road steed]); Marta SLs were in the running, but reputation for "finickiness" & expensive replacement pads, as well as high initial cost dropped 'wm off the list. Hayes seem to have fallen behind the curve, and Hope, although they have the highest "look-cool factor" have been poo-pooed by enough folks out there to disuade me.

Magura Clara, Hayes

[Feb 26, 2002]
    Andre Pimenta

OVERALL
    Strength:

light weight, lighter than shimano XT, almost half the price and very good power brake

none yet

at the first use i think its a very good brake, now i must do more test but until its very very good

shimano XT

[Nov 16, 2003]
    Ryan Smith

OVERALL
    Strength:

Using washers to center up the caliper is much better, and more reliable, it may take a little longer, but after that no problems ever. These brakes are also extremely easy to bleed, as long as u have the bleed kit. 4 - pistons give great modulation, and plenty of stopping power. DRAG FREE. Good looks, works well, and not too expensive. Best Brake I have tried yet.

If your bike is turned upside down, u must wait for all the air to go back up to the levers, may make the brake feel like you have lost fluid, no worries, give it 5 minutes, they are good as new.

These are sick brakes, recommended. Have had no problems with these or Griumeca System 8's.

Hayes HMX-1, Hayes HMX-2, Avid Mechanical, Hayes HFX-9, Hayes Comp, Formula Hydraulic, Gremica System 8(same brake), Shimano XT(same brake, but with mineral oil)

[Oct 25, 2003]
    Gordon

OVERALL
    Strength:

Braided lines look great in gold, allow more positive feel than plastic. Ease of setup. Four piston action with great feeling levers.

None so far

Maguras work well and you don't ever have to look at them again once you get them setup, but getting them set up is a chore ! Hayes...just not impressed with them, I'd expect more for the money, that's why they're specd' on so many bikes from the manufacturer along with Deore grade components ! The SRAM 9's took a little time to set up but were a breeze compared to other brands. Very straight forward if you follow the directions. No squealing as of yet. They fit my Kona frame perfect, but my Marzocchi fork took a little work. I used a whet stone, medium grade, to grind the paint off the brake bosses, doing both at once assurred me a flat and parallel surface on them. Once I got to bare metal, I fit the brake, had to take off a little more metal with the stone and then viola...the brakes were aligned almost perfect. For the money, I can't think of a better choice. I've always like Maggies, but I don't think I'll ever go back now that I know life can be easier and better !!!

Magura, Hayes

[Jul 01, 2002]
    Balázs Horváth

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy setup. Great stopping power.

None discovered yet.

The brake system was extremely easy to set up. It has great stopping power, but still requires breaking in. As I hav had the system for only a couple of days I will post an updated review in a couple of weeks.

[Mar 31, 2003]
    Ben

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great modulation and stopping power, easy setup, relatively light, looks good with gold kevlar tubes

still rubs abit....

This disc brakes are fantastic for the value and money. They are basically similar to XT in terms of performance however, they are lighter, and have kevlar tubes which looks fantastic. So hey good value, light weight, fantastic performance what the heck. The only problem is I am still having some slight break rub, maybe I didint set it up well not a big problem.

XT, Giant MPH, Avid

[Oct 09, 2006]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great braking power, no fade
    Once set up you can forget them
    Gold brake lines always draw a crowd

Adjustment

I got these brakes when I purchased the bike second hand. Although I know they aren't making them anymore, I don't need them too, I can update my rotors anytime, and the Shimano pads will be around forever. The brakes work great. The only downside is adjustment. It may just be the adapters I got with them, but there is no freedom to adjust them side-to-side. When I bought the bike there were a few spacers in between the caliper housing and the brake mounts on the frame and I had some disc rubbing. Finding additional spacers that made the fit just right was a pain, next time I need to do any adjusting I may look for different adapters. My value rating ishigh as I got a great deal on the whole bike, and these are way beter than my Hayes ever were.

2002 Hayes Hydraulic, Avid Mechanical

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.