Shimano SAINT 8 Disc Brake System

The new Saint hydraulic disc brakes are designed specifically for the oversize center lock rotor mount featured on the Saint hubs.

[Dec 15, 2009]
R-M-R

OVERALL
Strength:

- Unmatched modulation
- I've never overheated them
- Almost zero maintenance
- Mineral oil
- Rarely noisy

- Power

This is almost the perfect brake: It's consistent, needs almost zero maintenance, and the modulation is far smoother than anything else I've tried. The only problem is the lack of power in a full-on downhill setting.

On trails that aren't overly demanding of your brakes, the M800 Saint is my favourite brake on the market. The power issue is only apparent on long, steep trails and when I'm putting in a lot of laps. In these scenarios, my hands can give out and leave me unable to control my speed - or, at the very least, I get considerable discomfort and fatigue in my hands.

I also have a set of Dual Control Saint brakes on my XC/AM bike with an 8" front rotor and 7" rear rotor. The power is perfect for that kind of riding and the smooth modulation keeps them easy to control.

If you rarely experience fatigue in your braking fingers or your trails don't require exceptionally large amounts of braking (such as XC/AM or less steep DH trails), then you'll probably love the M800. If you routinely ride long and steep trails that require almost constant use of the brakes, then I suggest a more powerful, downhill-specific brake. When in doubt about rotor sizes, go for the larger size.

Owned: Hope (2- and 4-piston)
Extensive test rides: Avid BB7, Avid Juicy 7, Magura Marta, Shimano 4-piston XT
Short test rides: Avid Code, Shimano Saint M810, Formula Oro K24, Shimano XT M775, Shimano Deore

[Sep 20, 2009]
surlychad

OVERALL
Strength:

Stopping power

Some could say that they are heavy?

I used to run hayes exclusively. Then I purchased a bike with the saint brakes on it and thought I'd give them a try before I replaced them. I'm glad I did. I won't ever switch back to Hayes or any other manufacturer. I'm not a big fan of the shimano brake pads but if you switch to the ebc red pads they rule.

Hayes, magura, avid

[Feb 28, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Power on-demand.

Sometimes yon need to lube the pistons and work them a bit.

Buy them. Don't expect Magura Gustav performance, tho also don't expect Magura Gustav rubbing.

New Saints (810) are probably much better. 50% increase in power is reported, and that could come in handy.

Practically everything. Hayes, other Shimano discs, Tektro, Avid.

[Sep 23, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power. 1 finger to lock them. Excellent precise feel through the entire range. Solid as the rocks I ride over. Very nice finish and very durable. If youve seen any of my vids on utube you know how I abuse my gear. westcoastfreerider

They can only be used with saint hubs, so the initial cost to install is higher than others.

These bad boys are proven. if you want the best stop looking and go for it you wont be dissapointed.

[Jul 02, 2007]
T

OVERALL
Strength:

They're simple. Once you set em up, they're good to go. Easy to take care of

expensive

It's tough to know what to think when you read some of these reviews. Some people completely contradict others in their reviews. A big problem is that in most of the reviews you read, the author has only used the product a short time. The majority of the time, less than 6 months. It's also tough with brakes because you don't know who is reviewing them. Is it some 120 lb cross country guy who rarely goes downhill and has doesn't really even know how to ride, or is it someone who has legitimate skill and charges it?

I weigh 215 lbs and ride a demo 9. I spend a lot of time in Mammoth, Ca riding expert only downhill trails (at least that's what the signs say). I spent years riding with Hayes brakes. I learned to completely rebuild those things, and set them up correctly. I had to bleed them after every solid day of riding. Pad replacement was a frequent event. I spent a lot of money buying replacement pads, master cylinders and brake fluid. Two years ago, I threw in the towel with Hayes and bought a set of Saints, just because I heard good things. I canned the Hayes setup off my demo, took my time and put the saints on. I made sure they were set up right and honestly, they are on a whole other level. They don't fade (like Hayes), the lever actuation point doesn't change minute by minute (like Hayes) and they require a fraction of the maintenance.

If you're looking at getting these brakes, I don't think you can go wrong. They have been great for me. Anyone who says Hayes brakes are great either doesn't know how to ride, weighs as much as a 10 year old girl, or rides cross country with no significant descents (sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes).

I can't give these a perfect score, cause nothings perfect.

Hayes (most models), avid BB

[Feb 18, 2006]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything about these brakes are execellent, great modulation and power.

None at all

Great brakes just get a pair and you will see.

Hayes 9,

[Jun 09, 2007]
Mick

OVERALL
Strength:

Great power, good modulation.

Lever is a bit narrow, heavy, metal pads overheat, pads run too close to the rotors and any kind of warp is a major problem.

Good brakes. Strong and easy to set up. No problems with adjustments. Good price. I think they are heavy, especially compared with Formula or maybe Hope. The levers feel a bit narrow for me. Get a big rotor or else they will glow and pump up, mine do a lot. Also I get quite a bit of pad drag on the back too which makes the problem worse.

Formula k24, Hope M4.

[Dec 24, 2006]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Power, modulation, simple pad change, color

metallic pads

These brakes work great. The only problem I ever had with them was at Downieville. They overheated on the long decents and made harsh braking sounds. At the top of the second run I swapped the metallic pads out, and put resin ones in. All my problems disappeared. They were now quiet and never faded, plus I had more stopping power.

Setup and bleeding is easy, you can change the pads without removing the wheel too.

Juicy 7, Shimano 555 & 515

[Dec 23, 2006]
Tom Miller

OVERALL
Strength:

Power, style, set-up

way too little clearance between pads and rotor, mineral oil froze in extreme cold.

Although the shimano discs have been awesome to work on in the shop; easy set-up, great power, long lasting, etc; I was disappointed that the Saints didn't cut it for true winter riding. After a 1/2hour ride I had brake drag I could feel while padalling and even just squezzing the brakes in the shed with temps in the teens made the pistons stick. I can only point to mineral oil as the culprit on these cold days. additionally, I wish there was a way to set the pistons farther away from the rotors as it was impossible to set-up the brakes without the rotors tapping. I put the BB7's back on with the 8" Saint rotor in about 10 minutes and haven't had a problem since. Come summer I may give the more powerful Saints another try, but they didn't work for me in the winter.

Been using BB7's for years, but I've worked on them all.

[Feb 02, 2006]
zac

OVERALL
Strength:

great modulation, air feeling when you go for the brakes, great strength

none at all buy them they are the best brakes out there

these are great brakes, super strong, and almost maintenece free, if your thinking about them stop and buy them.

hayes mag 9

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.