Shimano Deore XT BR-M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake System

These Shimano XT Disc Brakes M785 are a big improvement over old XT brakes. At first glance you'll see how they use an in-line master cylinder as opposed to the radial design of the M-775. This allows a lighter weight system and an easier bleed process. They still use mineral oil as a hydraulic fluid. The great part is that it's non-toxic and non-corrosive. If you spill some when you bleed your brakes, there's nothing to worry about.They take their design cues from the new XTR M988 Trail Brakes. And though these might not be as visually refined as the highly polished XTR units, the performance speaks for itself. This is hands down the best XT brake we've ever ridden. In addition to the excellent power and modulation, the XT Brakes offer easy adjustment to make your hands happy and to give you ultimate control. There is a tool-free reach adjustment that you can dial on-the-fly. They also have a free stroke adjustment that lets you determine how far you like the blade to travel before your pads make contact with the rotor. You can dial them to perfection.Sizewise, the M785 levers are much lower profile than the M775 levers, but more importantly, the movement of the lever pivot towards the bar creates a more ergonomic design. In essence, the arc of the lever optimizes your natural finger movement and position of strength with the point in the lever travel where your power is transferred through the system to the caliper. These also feature Shimano's Servo Wave technology. Servo Wave allows the pads to sit further from the rotors at rest (a great feature for trail/all mountain bikes that might see more rotor abuse than a race machine). This is possible as the piston travel changes relative to lever travel as you squeeze on the brakes to close the gap to the rotor quickly, then slowing to allow predictable modulation.The calipers use a 22mm ceramic piston for inspiring stopping power, and Shimano has brought back a banjo fitting for the hose attachment at the caliper.

[Aug 20, 2018]
masterofnone

OVERALL
Strength:

I put these on my previous singlespeed to replace the avid mechanical discs that came on that bike. They have been strong, reliable, and quiet even when wet. I had them put on and forgot all about them, which is the best thong I can say about any component on a bike. Three years later, I broke the frame on that singlespeed, bought a new one, and swapped the shimanos to it. I still haven't touched them. After a string of bikes with avids on them and issues with nearly all of them, i'm considering swapping every set of avids to shimanos amd not looking back.

None so far

Purchased:
New
[Apr 14, 2015]
PrairiePeddler

OVERALL
Strength:

They can stop my fat ass

I don't like the silver top color (should be black with silver xt symbol)

Upgraded to xt on my niner sir 9 hardtail and specialized fat boy. I won't buy any other disc brakes ever again. My friend has the slx ones and they are pretty much just as good depending on what the price difference is. All of my friends have been selling their sram brakes for xt's and slx's. I think you should either run sram bb7's or xt's because everything in between sucks for the price.

[Dec 28, 2014]
Dirk Ross

OVERALL
Strength:

Stopping power, time length between bleeds, reliable.

None.

Great brakes and really cheap right now. Levers could be a bit longer and modulation could be better but these issues are minor when taking into consideration the stopping power and reliability of this product. I've had 2 sets on two different bikes and they have performed flawlessly. I also have the XTR 985 model on one bike and while those have more of a "bling" factor functionally they are about the same as these XTs.

[Nov 12, 2014]
Buko

OVERALL
Strength:

Stops you on a dime, great modulation and silent. Amazing hydraulic brake.

None.

Sram db1's are stock on the Lapierre Pro Race 327 and I read many mixed reviews on the brake. In northern Luzon, Philippines, the terrain is steep. Good brakes are a must. Read many good reviews on the Shimano XT m785. So I switched to them and lo-and-behold, they were right-on. Fantastic brakes! Quiet, great modulation and great stopping power.

[Oct 31, 2014]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Super silent stopping power

None yet
Pads w/ the cooling fins are kind of expensive

Just had these put on my Rocky Mtn Element as replacements for the stock Formulas. Wow, what a difference. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to make the switch. I was getting a lot of squeaks & squeals on the old set but these XTs have been silent so far and the stopping power is significantly better. Love the adjustability of them too. Will post back with another review after using them for a year or so.

[Oct 12, 2014]
Reuben Madsen

OVERALL
Strength:

Power
Reliable

These came on my new bike. I was going to get them on my old bike but I convinced my self that thoes brakes were fine for me, how it was wrong. The power that these xt brakes give combined with the ice tech rotors is outstanding.

[Sep 12, 2014]
Mr.name

OVERALL
Strength:

DA POWER
modulation
low maintenance (for mine at least)

They have been know to leak (read bottom line)
price~kinda~(again read bottom line)

So my bike came with Avid Elixir 3s and they were O.K, I pull the brake and they stopped me. Upgraded to these and was extremely happy because I didn't need to use a death grip to get to a stop, and they completed the look of my blacked out bike. I come from a budget XC racer/rider, and if there brand new, they are quite pricey but I got them from a friend for half the price. But If you you buy second hand, you do NOT get the warranty and these things have been known to leak. Case in point, my Friend bought a set at a swap meet and found out that the cable leaked and had a ton of problems, and he couldn't get them warranted because he was the second owner.

Avid Elixir 3

[Aug 18, 2014]
corey

OVERALL
Strength:

Great modulation, excellent stopping power and simple to install and adjust.

Avid BB-5's came on the bike and had more drama than an episode of the Kardashians!, Switched to these after reading reviews and all I can say is Da*m these things stop!!! No drama, just great power and dependability. Installed with the original 180MM HS1 rotors and work like a charm, not noise, vibration or fade. Not as pretty as the avids but look more rugged and ready to pound the down hill!! I would have paid twice the price had I had the chance to try them out.Believe the reviews, they are awesome!!!

Hayes 9 and AvidElixer 5(BB-5)

[Jun 11, 2014]
Geoff

OVERALL
Strength:

When they work, they work

When they leak, they're useless

My 785s have been returned twice and replaced free which would be great if not for the fact that they're leaking again. Each time they have been installed by separate LBSs. I understand there's a bad lemon in every bunch, but c'mon.. three?!!?

I am done with Shimano now.

[Jun 06, 2014]
Luke

OVERALL
Strength:

1 finger stopping power at any speed, no noise, great modulation, easy to adjust and maintain, minimal heat generated the fins on the pads really do keep everything nice and cool

none to date

I brought these to replace my broken Juicy Ultimates, and can say with absolute certainty that I made a greta choice these are fantastic if you are running anything else that is not a shimano braking system XT or higher in 2014 get a set of these and they will not disapoint

Hayes Trail, Avid Juicy Ultimate