Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake System

Combined with the convenience of being able to use your existing levers & standard cables, and not ever having to deal with messy fluids or leaky seals, the Deore Mechanical Discs are a great upgrade for recreational riders looking for improved stopping power. Fits international standard (IS) disc mounts. For Manitou forks with direct-mount posts, please note you'll need to order the Manitou-specific front brake kit.

[Mar 02, 2013]
Todor

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, reasonable stopping power

Heavy if you care

Great brake for the value. Stops well in all conditions. Great for urban. Doesn't require any maintain, just the pads.

[Dec 13, 2010]
gorg_karlo

OVERALL
Strength:

Price point. Works as expected. Good performance on wet/muddy conditions. Easy to modulate.

Squeals louder than a baby. Adjustment needs Allen key tool. Heavier compared to other competing models in the same price range.

I am a cheapo at heart and would normally run cheapo parts to death before upgrading. But after flirting with another near-accident experience during one rainy day in Beijing, I decided that my ProMax V-Brakes had to go.

My LBS suggested me going hydraulics, but since I was famous for carelessness I opted to have mechanicals - also I did not want to break the wallet. Unfortunately no Avid BB7 - the sort that I am familiar with back in my home country, the Philippines. What they had in stock were the Shimano BR-M495 Mechanical Disc Brakes.

I had these fitted - and never looked back. For the price that I paid and the complement to my riding style, they are great. Excellent for people who still have the V-Brake affair - combined with very good V-Brake Levers they are easy to modulate. Plenty of power even with one finger pull.

My only gripe - it squeals louder than a baby once the bedding process is complete. Are all Shimano brake products like this? I guess this is natural with the resin pads used.

If you are not a weight weenie and would like to have a cheap but very robust mechanical brake system, I highly recommend these.

V-Brakes of all sorts, Avid BB7

[Dec 04, 2010]
Michaelk

OVERALL
Strength:

Stopping power, easy to adjust, pads wear well.

Needs to be adjusted to work well plain looking.

I have the Shimano no name m416 mechanical disc brakes they came stock on my Brodie. If you have these brakes you might want to figure out how to adjust them. Unlike the Avid where you can adjust them with your hand. You need an Allen wrench on the inside of the brake (taking off the wheel helps). A couple of clicks of the allen wrench brings the pad in closer. To adjust the outer pad you can adjust the cable or with the barrel adjuster. The stock pads last a long time.

[Sep 13, 2010]
lewis
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to tune and work with, and very strong. I have been using them on my dj lately. Not hard to find parts for it either.

The pads wear down after a few months. They wear down alot after just a week of straight riding. And plus they dont look good.

These are a good brake for somebody who just wants 2 ride xcountry or firtjumping. Not to good for a downhill bike, for down hill i sugjest hayes 5.0 hydraulic.

[Aug 03, 2010]
frosty

OVERALL
Strength:

Price. Ease of set up.

Looks. They're hideous

After having sooo many problems with the Mono Mini I went for the X2 but they just weren't compatable with the XTR gear shifters (flip flop levers too big). Needed a new set in a hurry and all the shop had were these Deores. Not sexy but so easy to set up and worked perfectly from the off set. No noise, easily bedded in and plenty of power for XC use. They are a bit on the heavy side so I will be changing for the XTR soon but in the mean time these are fine. Great for anyone on a budget!

Hope Mini Mono, Juicy Five, Hope Tech X2

[Apr 06, 2010]
reeler

OVERALL
Strength:

inexpensive; good design; well made; very durable

big and heavy; squeaky when wet; pricy pads

Good value, bulletproof brake setup for general MTB use.

These are the M515 model - got both on sale for $50 each.

Been riding for over 7 years on them and am just now replacing the pads.

Brakes work great untli they get wet, and then they are fairly useless - and loud.

But they dry off quickly, and recover their power fully.

Otherwise, I set them up and that was it; few adjustments were required, only cable take-up for pad wear.

Much better that rim brakes for mud and water crossings - which is why I bought them in the first place.

They are bulky, but they are indestructible.

[Dec 15, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Well! It's cheap compared to other famous American Brands. Works fine for regular biking and it looks good. Maintainance is smooth! This brake set can handle the job without punishing your pocket. Shimano, did a great for this one!

The pads... you need to replace it after a few months... Also the noise is quite annoying compared to other mech disc brakes...

Shimano just realized the word VALUE... I live in a third world country and it's not also practical to spend that much.. Aslong you enjoy riding with your pals and buddies it's enough. Brakes really matters but, it also depends on how you take care yourself. If you are a member of the Philippine TEAM or the elite bikers society.. Why not??? More speed!

Avid BB... Shimano XT.. V brakes (Alivio and Deore)

[Mar 29, 2009]
debusama

OVERALL
Strength:

They will lock if you squeeze hard enough, low maintenance (no bleeding)

They don’t really have the stopping power that a disk brake should.

I have XT rotors that came with my new wheelset when I upgraded. I’m not sure how much difference it makes. I find the stopping power to be similar to quality v-brakes that I’ve used. You won’t get the stopping power that you might get from a hydro brake, or even an Avid BB 5/7, but you do get the benefit of not having your breaking surface covered in mud if you go through a puddle. I’ve had no problem locking up the wheels, but I do have to squeeze pretty hard to do it, which gets tiresome on long descents.

Hayes Sole, XT v-brakes, avid BB5.

[Jan 19, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

grabs through rain or shine

i have the previous model which arent different other than looks and the pads are easy to wear away at need constant adjustment

if your just looking to find sturdy brakes quick and you need 'em fast i reccomend these

[Dec 16, 2008]
MArtinGC

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap, better than low level Vbrakes, easy setup and alingment

for long downhills it's hard to hang the handle, but is the same with V's

I'm 158p, so no big deal for this brakes I'm gona up to hidraulics, but set this on other Vbrake bike

Deore V's

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.