Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc Brake System

Shimano’s newest and most affordable hydraulic disc brake! Lightweight dual-piston fixed calipers offer impressive stopping power at reasonable weight, and the forged 2-finger levers give you all the braking control you’ll need for any XC adventure. Convenient nylon hydraulic hose is easily cut to fit any frame configuration, and thanks to the mineral oil-based system, the Deore Hydraulic Disc offers top performance in all conditions without the difficulties of dealing with harsher DOT-rated brake fluids. Includes stainless 6” rotor, mounting hardware, and adaptor for international standard disc tabs

[Apr 15, 2016]
Nman

OVERALL
Strength:

Shimano built it. Doesn't look low end.

Nowhere near as refined as the XT785/8000.

Works well and identical to pre-785 era Shimanos. Cheap enough, too. What you'll miss is the precise modulation and overall stopping power, both stepped down significantly from XT's. I weigh 225, so that affects everything.

Hayes, Avid, Shimano.

[Aug 09, 2015]
Mike El Paso

OVERALL
Strength:

I purchased these to replace the cable actuated brakes that were original equipment on my Cannondale. These have worked flawlessly in the two years that I've used them. Easy to find replacement brake pads. I'm a big guy (>240lbs), and they stop me without hesitation. I've done some long descents without fading or failure.

I really haven't found any.

Excellent quality, considering the relatively low cost. Very easy to bleed and maintain.
I haven't used these in a race scenario, so I couldn't tell you how they would hold up. But given my size, and the weight of the bike, I'm sure that they would hold their own for a much lighter rider in a race.
This would be an ideal braking system for those that are entry and mid level mountain bikers and who are on a budget. I paid $200 for the front and rear (installed).

Juicy 5

[Jul 23, 2013]
Mike C

OVERALL
Strength:

BR-M596 review - Nice two fingered operation. Great modulation. Easy to lock up the rears when needed. Not too heavy. Bullet-proof Shimano engineering and build quality. Nice and inexpensive.

None noticed after 1 month of use.

Bought my initial Deore BR-M596's to replace a Formula Sport set on my K2 Razorback. I was so impressed that I later replaced the Quad QHD-1's on my second bike ( a Kona Four) with another set of BR-M596's. I ride 2-3 times a week, mostly XC. These are the nicest of the 4-5 hydraulic sets i have owned.

[Nov 16, 2012]
Jesse845

OVERALL
Strength:

Slows me down QUIETLY

Does not have an XTR logo on it

I bought these brakes to upgrade from Tekto Novella mechanical disc brakes. The Tektros squeaked and squeeled horribly, and made other noises that made me question how long they would work for. The Deores have worked quietly and reliably for the last year. I have no complaints. I weigh over 250 pounds and am mostly a cross country rider, with some all mountain attempts thrown in occasionally. These brakes work fine for my style of riding.

[Sep 09, 2012]
nuno_machuqueiro
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

M596 review
great power - one finger use
good modulation
not that heavy sub 300gr

???
its not bling ??

amazing brakes for the price- for shure best power / feeling / weight brakes on the market
doesen´t feel cheap
original pads are organic, on sintered pads probably even more power!!

juicy 7 on braided hoses, some hayes

[Jul 18, 2012]
SuperSoup

OVERALL
Strength:

this review is for the 2012 deore dynasys brakeset
this brake is very reliable, after 11 months of using, it never leaked or stop working always works well
the stopping power is enough for am (im 55kg), and it didn't squeak when dry

lack of power when on a damp and wet place and it squeaks. but its not an annoyingly loud squeak

i'll recommend xc riders buying this brake if you have a tight budged

[May 15, 2011]
DSDuke

OVERALL
Strength:

Powerful, simple, user friendly brake at a great price.

Very little modulation. A light touch is required to keep from locking them up, but that's really just nit-picking.

I can't say enough about these brakes. They are a PHENOMENAL value. They work great, are easy to set-up and are just about the cheapest disc brake out there.

I am running a set of Deores on my Niner EMD9 hardtail that are 8 years old!! They came on my '04 Spec Enduro and I have carried over from bike to bike to bike. And I've only had to have them bled 1 time!!

I am running Formula Oro's on my Niner RIP9--they are a better brake but are incredibly finicky. Considering how finicky they are and how much more expensive they are than the Deores (that I currently run on my Niner HT), I sometimes wonder if the Formulas are worth it.

The only weakness I can find is that the Deores are kind of an ON/OFF brake. There isn't a lot of modulation--it takes a delicate touch to keep from locking them up.

But considering how bomb proof and fool proof they are, added to the fact they are inexpensive and you can't go wrong.

Avid Juicy 7--crap, Shimano XT--2 sets both junk-go figure, Hayes 9's--OK, Formula Oro K24--Nice but real expensive.

[May 04, 2011]
Paul Beckett

OVERALL
Strength:

Having never had disc brakes before I was surpirsed at the sheer stopping power of these Brakes. Its also nice that they use standard mineral oil not hydraulic fluid so easy to get new fluid for and plenty of cheap spares.

Few if any, as user friendliness seems amazing.

For and entry level brake as others have said this is an amazing setup. Built like an AK47 and with plenty of cheap easily available spares.

Brilliant peformance given the prices. If you want better sure you can upgrade, but will you get much better performance given the extra money spent? probably not I think.

None, never had disc brakes before only rim brakes

[Jan 18, 2011]
Deny

OVERALL
Strength:

it's very comportable, smooth and brake well. I recommend this to all!

best

[Sep 19, 2010]
sam-L

OVERALL
Strength:

once worn in, they will lock up so well. couldnt get any pair of brakes as good as these for the price you pay for them.

nothing, their fantastic

if you are looking for a pair of hydraulic brakes and dont want to spend much.
BUY EM!!