Shimano BR-M486 Disc Brake System

Great value and dependable brake calliper gives you plenty of power when you require it. For use with mineral oil which is non-corrosive and less hazardous than conventional hydraulic fluid. Shim-less mounting bracket allows for quickinstallation and set up. Compatible with post mount or international standard forks when used with adapters. To be used in conjunction with Shimano hydraulic brake levers. Can be used with 6-bolt or Centre Lock rotors.

[Nov 28, 2015]
Doc vélo

OVERALL
Strength:

Came stock on my Anthem X3 and one of the few items that I didn't upgrade. I weigh in at 225lbs and ride xc recreationally but toss it in technical stuff. The only chage made was to slap on 180mm rotors F&R which improved the stopping power. Not bled in 3 years (but are getting spongy), no leakage, very little queal, good modulation, predictable, almost never adjusted the darn things (can't say as much for BB-5's and BB7's )! Never let me down dry or wet, even at -8C in winter. Coming from a mechanical disk background, my aim may be lower as I haven't compared with many other hydros but I'm satisfied.

I guess more power is always nice but I don't need to get thrown over the handlebars or lock the rear wheel at the touch of a finger to kill expensive tires...Less power and bite in mud and rain but that applies to a slew of other brakes. 160mm rotors are a bit slight for a clyde like me...

Considering I never bled them in 3 years and I upgraded the whole drive and the wheelset, As an upgrade freak, I found no reason to change the brakeset for my XC purposes.

BB-5, BB-7, Tektro IO

[Aug 24, 2013]
Lukas

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent braking power and modulation. Can lock front wheel with one finger. Silent too. Best for hc, trail riding.

Hmm. Probably none. Leaking lever after bleeding, but that is just a servicing problem.

Replaced 160mm with 203mm rotor. Huge difference. Now I can use one finger even for downhill riding. Well - two for some extreme ones. Wanted to replace the brakes, but I'm glad I didn't, because bigger rotor was all I needed. excellent brakes, would recomend.

[Jun 14, 2013]
DavidHarsay

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good quality build and finish, good stopping power, excellent modulation, setup is lighter than the BB5's. Very happy with these.

Big ugly mounting bolts, hard to find an upgraded pad.

Very happy with these, $30 on ebay new! The way to center the pads is to slip a thin piece of cardboard between pad/disc on each side, squeeze lever, and tighten brake mount bolts... and they are centered with no rubbing and no rotor push. If they are a little a little spongy, they need bleeding, and they work great.

[Mar 26, 2013]
eyco

OVERALL
Strength:

brakes very well!

non

using them for almost 4 years riding xc fr and lite dh and they never fiald me! with a sinterd pads they stop very good.

[Jan 07, 2013]
edward rafols

OVERALL
Strength:

shimano...superior braking power/less effort & energy used in braking...

only problem lately is reduced braking power in front especially on downhill...gone to the shop but they said it's ok but when i tried it during the next ride, problem comes back...don't know if 'twas because of some penetrating oil that i used in cleaning the suspension which could have dripped down the rotor and pads...cleaned the rotor/pad with alcohol, acetone but the problem remains...

generally it's a great brake...

[Aug 20, 2012]
judge dredd

OVERALL
Strength:

over four years I haven't had problems with these brakes. They are powerfull enough for a xc/trail rides.
I clean my pads once in a while and they work.

you must use mineral oil or pistons get jammed..

very good brakes..for a value

[Mar 10, 2012]
hmanstylez

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid brake control. Good stopping power and really easy to service.

Need to adjust brakes every two rides or so.

These brakes came stock on my KHS and I am pretty happy with them. I've gotten use to one finger braking and the brakes bite really nice. I have since upgraded the tires from the Nevegal 2.1 to 2.35 and that's made a huge difference in braking ability. Most of my rides are 15-20 miles with about half being technical single track downhills and I've found minimal fade. I've got about 600 miles on the bike and I'm just now getting around to replacing the original pads.

The only issue I've found is that every two rides or so I need to adjust the calipers on the frame, otherwise I get some rubbage. It's pretty easy though take a 7mm alen loosen both bolts grab a handful of brake and tighten.

Hayes Mechanicals

[Jan 30, 2012]
yeahdog31

OVERALL
Strength:

Good intro to hydraulic discs, easy to bleed, quiet operation, good looks.

Lacking in power, spongey feel at levers, pads drag on larger rotors.

I have had these brakes on 3 different frames in the past 3 seasons. They were my first experience with hydraulic disc brakes. At first, having not much to compare to, I was pretty happy with them. But over time, I realized that I was riding apprehensively because I didn't have the confidence that I could stop like I wanted to. I switched the stock rotors from the chintzy RT-52s that came with it to the SLX and XT level rotors (and went up a size to 180mm). The larger rotors provided more stopping power, but still didn't have the solid braking feel I craved. I eventually switched my primary bike to XT brakes and the difference is unbelievable. Besides being more powerful, the XT's ServoWave allows more brake pad clearance, so you are less likely to drag a rotor while riding.
Another thing to be aware of is that replacement pads aren't very easy to find. No LBS stocked any and I even had some degree of difficulty finding aftermarket replacements online.
Bottom line: good brakes for moderate riding, but if your trails have lots of UPs and DOWNs, you might want to spend a little more.

Shimano XT (M770), Avid BB7

[Jun 02, 2011]
Nico7312
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

they slow you down

strength, modulation, reliability.

They stink!

But for an average xc rider they are okay.

Rim brakes

[May 16, 2011]
Asmodean

OVERALL
Strength:

VALUE.

Stock pads are duff, wear in fast, but then wear out faster. Stock discs won't handle a metal pad

I bought these for the girlfriend as she was agitating about getting with the hydraulic crowd.

I didn't expect much from them, but they seem to be more or less SLX brakes with a few cosmetic differences, and a grub screw instead of a tooless reach adjuster.

The discs that came with them have "organic pads only" stamped o the side of them, so they will need replacing, and also the pads that came with them didn't last any time at all.

Those minor issues aside they see to be a controlled and strong brake.