Magura Marta SL Disc Brake System

When it comesTo superlight disc brakesThere has been one benchmarkoverThe past seven years: MAGURA Marta SL! Minimum weight, combinedwith unmatched power, modulation and performance. Uses new lighter weight Storm rotor (not included) Dual piston caliper w/ automatic wear adjustment Featherweight carbon 2 finger lever blade Integrated reach adjustment Pre-bled Rotor sold separately Includes lever, caliper, hose and mounting hardware Approximate weight 295 grams 5-year leakproof warranty aft

[May 07, 2016]
mhoopes

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent modulation.
Lightweight.
Powerful, considering the weight and application. Nowadays, a good value, if you can find a good example used (I see them on eBay for around $180 a pair, with rotors).

Fragile carbon levers; I've replaced both with the Al versions, due to trail damage, and the weight difference is minuscule - the carbon is there for bling factor only.
Somewhat difficult bleed procedure.
Requires more frequent bleeding if your bike is stored upside down.
Magura rotors are reportedly easily-warped. I can't verify that.

I've had these brakes for 9 years now (see review by Mike from Novato from 2007), rocking the original seals. They're still working like they were back then. I'm quite surprised, considering reports I've heard from others. However, some of that could be due to less thermal stress due to my light riding weight (~150 lbs geared up) and distaste for long, sustained braking runs. This is intended for XC racing, so look elsewhere if your application is heavy-duty.

I do end up bleeding them at least twice a year, which takes me about an hour.

Combined with 160 mm Shimano Centerlock rotors (I'm on the SM-RT79 version right now), and proper facing, they are dead silent and vibration-free.

If I were to need to replace them on my 2006 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 120, I'd probably pick up another used pair. For a newer bike, I'd consider brakes of a newer vintage.

Avid BB7.

[Mar 09, 2015]
John Trevor

OVERALL
Strength:

Brakes operate well when working

Fluid continually bypasses the pistons causing total brake failure

I unfortunately had these brakes fitted to two mountain bikes a while ago. They are good whilst they work but the machining quality is terrible, causing fluid to bypass the pistons and suddenly causing brake failure. On both bikes I get about a month of moderate use before they need fixing. I have finally made the decision to scrap them in favour of the trusty Shimano XT's which in the past have never let me down. Magura weren't interested in the problem (more common than most people realise). I will never have Magura products again.

[May 23, 2013]
G

OVERALL
Strength:

I replace my "Julie" brake system with Magura's "Marta SL"'s about 5 years ago and I'm glad I did. The SL's have much better braking control on downhill's especially around tight switchbacks and loose dirt and gravel than any other braking system I have used. I mainly ride XC single track and Moab rocky jeep trails but also ride 14,000'+ peaks with LONG fast and intense descents.

Brake pads are a little pricey.

Excellent braking system, recommended upgrading for XC and DH riders. Although the pads can ware quickly on multiple long decants the braking power never fades even if the rotors are smoking hot. GREAT BRAKES!!!!!

Magura Julie, Shamano, Avis OX.

[Oct 19, 2012]
Moto Mayer
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

best modulation I have ever felt in MTB brakes

Not the most powerful brakes I have used.

Starter a couple of years ago bought a Pivot Mach 5 and came with Avid elixir CR brakes. my previous Motolite had Avid juicy 7's on it which I really liked so I was pumped to get brakes that were suposed to be improved and lighter. they were powerfull alright, but no modulation at all!! would lock-up with very little effort. At first thought it was just my set-up but after talking and riding with others with these brakes seems like common problem. so I started shopping for brakes. Came across good deal on Magura Marta SL's on Ebay bought them. after installing them and shortening the hoses. we were set to go. bleeding was very easy and uses vegtable oil instead of brake fluid so no problem spilling alittle on painted surfaces. First ride was alittle dissapointed with power and feel.weak. but after acouple of more ride boy did they come around! Super, SUPER modulation. I ride on some less than ideal trails so modulation mean everything. very impressive. very quiet with stock pads too. can squel some when wet, but what brakes wont? I am running 160 rotors front and rear but I think if you went with bigger rotors up front would be more powerful. I ride several times a week and have only had to bleed rear brake once. Levers feel really nice for one finger braking. Just purchased a Pivot 5.7 carbon that came with Avid's but took them off before I rode and installed another set of Marta's. now that Magura no longer make this model there are some really good prices out them for them. bought complete set with rotors fpr $300.00. I will hate to see them go, but I have heard the next generation of brakes are pretty nice too.

Many Avid models. Hayes strokers. shimano XT

[Dec 19, 2011]
anthony.delorenzo

OVERALL
Strength:

Stopping power, light weight, look good

Can't be maintained, sometimes fussy

These have been generally awesome brakes for me. I'm 6-6 and they do a great job slowing me down. They're light and they look great on a bike, although they are sometimes fussy to set up. Also, they run like crap when the pads get low.

The biggest downside (and reason I sold them) is that they can't be serviced. Magura won't provide parts or allow shops to service their stuff. Granted, they have a rock-solid guarantee, but I've had more than one problem with mine and each time I'm stuck waiting for a new lever or caliper to be sent instead of just having my shop rebuild the brake.

Shimano, Avid, Hope...

[Sep 01, 2011]
htail

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to install and setup. Light, quiet strong-enough brake power, decent lever feel.

Lever and travel is a little big, feels more like a 2 finger minimum lever....but not a bothersome issue.

This is the first non-Avid disc brake i've tried. Honestly was a little skeptical, but have heard so many good recommendations that I had to try them. Not disappointed, great brakes.

One of the benefits is the simplicity of them. No fussy CPS bolts (Avid), bleeding is straight forward and getting the calipers aligned was cake (seemed to take a long time to dial in Avids for some reason).

So far the best disc brake experience I've had, we'll see how they continue to break in. I did go with a 180mm front rotor and 160 rear, so felt like I'm in much better control of descents with more power up front.

Avid Juicy 7, Avid Elixir CR

[Jun 30, 2011]
chriscrash

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliability, consistent performance, modulation, light weight

Maybe lacking the raw stopping power of some systems

Best brakes I have owned or used to date. Last reviewer must have got a dud. They are way more consistent and reliable than any other brake I have used. For XC and trail riding in really demanding conditions you appreciate the superb modulation they offer over other brakes. I bought them for Endurance racing and couldn't get my hands on a pair for formula R1's at the time. No regrets. I'd buy another pair of SL's or the new MT's.

Avid Elixer. Hayes Mag, XT, XTR, BB7

[Jun 30, 2011]
philman27

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight brakes with looks to match

stupied caliper piston

brakes where good for about 2 weeks then the front caliper piston seized twice.gave up now have avid cr's

[Jun 01, 2011]
phlegm

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, quality engineering, non-toxic fluid, carbon levers, magnetic pads, relatively easy to bleed

Relatively expensive, intermittent noise from front set

A well-designed quality product, and you get what you pay for here. Great stopping power, but there are certainly other hydraulic discs out there which can match it (my older Avids were similar). My only beef is a loud honk/squeal from the front brakes, which I can't seem to trace. (Previous Avids did not exhibit the problem.)

Avid Elixir

[Apr 25, 2011]
While At Rome
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Lightweight, great looks.

Not enough stopping power

These brakes are nice, when they dont make noise. I have only been riding this bike a lot for the past year and I need to wear headphones because it is so bad. Ive taken it in to multiple LBS and it will fix it for about 2 rides until the pad clearance is back to crap.

The stopping power is not as good as everyone is saying, it is about on par with all other modern single piston brakes. Being a bigger rider at 220 lbs, i am often having to brake much earlier than i needed to on my downhill rig despite riding a 20 lbs lighter bike.

Get headphones because these things make a ton of noise.

Hayes Nine, Hayes Sole, Avid Code, Avid Code R, Avid Elixirs, Avid Juicys