Hope Mono Mini Disc Brake System

The Mono caliper is machined from single billet of 2014 T6 aluminium offering unrivalled stiffness and enhanced lever feel. It uses the Mini lever with a fixed caliper housing two opposing pistons. Caliper pistons contain stainless steel inserts to isolate the caliper from the heat generated in the pads. An open system allows for automatic pad wear adjustment and enables the brake to handle the highest temperatures without “pump-up”.

[Jan 27, 2019]
Wingman80

OVERALL
Strength:

Modulation and force. 230 lbs and no issues with stopping power on anything from flat tarmac to knarly alp descents.

Brakepads can get stuck between disc and caliper when worn a bit too much...

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2006
[Oct 23, 2010]
DianeWong

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding fit and finish. They modulate well with adequate power and have had no issues in over six years.

None for me...expensive?

I must give credit where credit is due, the Mono Minis have been a good solid trouble free brake. I liked them so much on the '04 bike, that I purchased another set in '07 for the SS. Last month I picked up a new '09 Titus FTM and transferred the rear brakes from the '04 bike over to it. I opted for a new set of Hope X2race brakes for the new post mount fork. I ride my bikes hard but I don't abuse them(although I did crack a rigid fork this summer!). For me at 200+lbs.,the Mono Minis have been excellent

Avid BB-7

[Mar 15, 2010]
irideablackbike

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic looks, great power, excellent modulability, easy to maintain, light weight.

The reservoir leaks, but I think it's due to a bad gasket.

I got these brakes dirt cheap and I love them. Here's the thing though, I thought they sucked until I spent some time on them. I bled them and dressed the pads and cleaned the rotors and they are fantastic. They stop on a dime, they modulate really well and they have good power. We'll see how well they last over the year as far as maintenance.

juicy 5, juicy 7, shim xt, bb7

[Dec 12, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice progressive lever feel (PRO lever); Original organic pads last very long, easy bleeding, nicely machined

Very low braking power (you always need 2 or 3 fingers, not really suitable for longer downhill runs in the alps), relatively loud, excess DOT drops out of calliper bleed nipple direcly onto pads, pads only exchangeable after wheel or calliper removal

Looks nice, but the braking power is really low. I tried all kinds of pads, but Hope organic stays the "best". Still it worked without major incident over 5 years on my touring bike.
I strongly recommend to choose the M4, even if you are a CC rider! The M4 is the much much better brake.

CODA Expert closed system, Magura Louise, Hope M4 Tech, V-Brakes, Magura HS33

[Dec 02, 2009]
Andrew Perez

OVERALL
Strength:

Great braking power, Very reliable, looks good, worth every Dollar,

You wont regret buying Hope mono mini, as long as you do it right when you do your maintenance work on this brake and follow what the manuals instruction it wont let you down.

[Jul 02, 2009]
Mark Doyle

OVERALL
Strength:

Theese brakes look fantastic.

Lack of consistent performance.

Some may think that buying a pair of disk brakes of ebay isn't too clever, but these were in fantastic condition. I put the brakes on the bike and was seriously disappointed by the braking power when compared with my Avid V-brakes. I could grab the levers either front or back and still pedal. I have since blead the brakes, changing the fluid to Dot 5.1 and put on new Superstar pads both front and rear and completed approximately 200 miles. There performance has improved but the don't feel as though they have fully bedded in. It even seemed that the performance changed over night. When I compare my girlfriend's v-brake which are xtr levers with Avid ultimate V's I am seriously disappointed by the performace of the Hopes even in the wet. The brakes have develop some feel and bite but are no where near the feel and bite of the V's. I am going to keep fettling with them but it is all getting a bit silly.

Avid V-brakes

[May 20, 2009]
martylane

OVERALL
Strength:

Very reliable, little maintenance required; do not lock-up due to overheating even on long long descents; minimal size, great high-tech looks; affordable

Not very powerful, modulation not all that great.

I've been very happy with the reliability of these brakes, and the fact that they require little to no maintenance. Modulation and power is not so great -- really, the Avid rim brakes I had on my bike before had better power and feel. Power is "single digit" sufficient, though, so it's not like the brakes don't stop. I have Avid bb5 on a 29r, and they perform better in terms of modulation. These brakes could probably do with a larger front rotor, though you'd lose the minimal setup. Bottom line: performance is good for xc use; reliability, low maintenance, and minimal size make them worth having.

Hayes hfx-9 xc, avid bb7, avid bb5

[Dec 21, 2008]
TBest90662

OVERALL
Strength:

Great modulation and lever feel. Extremely smooth feel and maintenance free. Brake pads/rotors appear to be less susceptible to contamination...especially when compared to the Avid line of hydraulic brakes. Floating rotors help reduce brake fade and do look nice... especially when one takes advantage of custom colors (rotor hat, piston bore caps, etc.).

Bleeding must be done properly or you will trap air in the master cylinder.. I highly recommend reviewing the Hope technical video for bleeding. There's one very important step in the bleed (towards the end) that will guarantee 100% consistent performance (properly 'rolling the diaphragm' on).

Best quality brake I've ever used with decent power (not the most powerful cross country brake). However, note that I use them on my 6" travel trail bike (7" rotor front, 6" in back) and have had no problems (I weigh 145 lbs though).

Avid Juicy & Elixirs, Magura Marta SL, Shimano XTR, etc.

[Nov 16, 2008]
Stan

OVERALL
Strength:

very easy to bleed, good modulation, quite nice looking.

pump, lever needs ajusting quite alot (ajuster screw seems to slack of)and braking power is inconsistent relative to whether ie: quite bad role through in the wet. not overly powerful.

quite nice, a little disapointed though, almost had some bad accedents due to role through (I know how to keep the pads and rotors clean so its not that)and the pump is quite bad, not through doing masive decents or anything like that realy just a good raz through the woods seems to do it, the lever dipresses right to the bar some times with out any stoping power at all, a few moments of pumping the lever and ther back . I bleed them regulary so I dont know why it happens, when they work there good but I've used better, the jucys and the formulas are sweet! I'm going to try XT 775 now, I've herd there very good.

avid jucy 7, hayes stroker trail, hayes nine, formula oro

[Oct 25, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome Power, look very cool, very light

crap standard bolts

I went from M4's to new mono mini's not be pure choice but for other reasons. I am mega impressed. They have as far as I can tell the same stopping power as M4's, they never pump up, they just try to put me over bars everytime, they are awesome. Granted there must be some difference between M4's and these but I honestly can't tell. I have never ever run out of power or brown'd my pants with these babies.

I do downhill my bike and race on europes most severe runs and I do very well with out a so called downhill bike, I also XC and enduro. I only have 5" of travel and don't run six pots these do the job and save me a bucket load of weight. My bike is throwable without being 40+lbs infact its less than 23lbs with 5" of travel F/R. So downhill boys you can kiss behind because I beat you down the hill in 90% of all cases, fact. My race results prove that.
I may ride a USA designed bike built in Taiwan but the brakes are UK designed and built and nothing USA designed or built comes close.

Just try them and you will understand, we may dumb brits but we know how to stop and we know how to make things light.

avid juicy 7, M4's, moto vented

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.