Hope M4 Disc Brake System

The new M4 replaces last years successful Enduro 4. The caliper has been redesigned to allow it to use the standard Mini lever. Even though the brake has been slimmed down it still retains its awesome braking power. The caliper features 4 pistons operating 4 separate pads (pads remain same as Enduro and DH4) and is an open system. The 74mm post mount (2000/1 Manitou) requires a special bracket and larger disc

[Aug 16, 2011]
Twiggy B

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good, great when they work. They help to get you out on the road bike more often!

Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, brakes jam on and rub constantly. New pads required after every run.

Dont buy these brakes if you enjoy going cycling. You will have to get used to cycling with the brakes on, and even the best bike shops cant fix them - because they are inherently pish.

V Brakes - why did I ever change

[Oct 01, 2010]
RFehr

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding Hope build quality, fantastic adjustability, sweet modulation, no tools bleed, loads of power, quiet wet or dry, re-usable olive/washer for hose shortening, fantastic tech support, and I could go on.

I bought Elixir CR's as they were lighter - huge mistake. Yes, the Tech M4's are not the lightest - but plenty light enough - find a few grams somewhere else. Also, if the bar clamp was moved outboard more (relative to the lever) it would provide far more shifter placement flexibility.

LOVE these brakes. Wet, dry, muddy, snowy - they simply perform. As many have said, they feel like motorcycle brakes - Solid, tight, powerful, bulletproof. It's sooo evident how the guys at Hope ride these brakes just like their customers do - the thought put into the WHOLE customer experience is very impressive. Things you might not think of - like no-tools bleeding. I must have 4 different bleed kits for 4 sets of brakes - and I'll never buy another as I'll never stray from Hope now that I've sampled the smack.

My only beef is that the levers can't be moved far enough inboard to allow for my 'normal' one-finger lever position on my easton low rise bar - close, but if the clamp was a bit farther outboard on the master cylinder body, it would allow much more flexibility.

Yes, some say they're not cheap and not light. I say they're cheap for what you get and light for what you get.

Elixir CR, Strokers, Juicy Ultimate

[Aug 31, 2010]
vamaro
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing Quality - Machined from billet with a fit and finish that is nothing short of perfect. Excellent feel and adjustability. Closest thing to a motorcycle feel. Easy install!

None so far.

These brakes are worth every penny. All machined aluminum, no cheap plastic on these brakes.

Get these brakes if you want a good quality products that will last and feel great. Motorcycle feel.

These are also good for people who work on their own bike as they are easy to install and bleed.

Finally, if you want some "bling" on your bike, this is one of the best looking brakes on the market.

Hayes, Magura, Avid

[Aug 17, 2010]
upupandaway
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

great modulation, looks mean, easily adjustable levers, great ergonomy, stamina, cool clicking sound of the rotors cooling down

lacking a little strenght / a little more power in the fingers may be necessary, brake levers don´t leave too much space for the shifter levers on the bar, could have a slightly more agressive feel

violent and quick stops may take a bit more work with your fingers, but all other stuff handles outstandingly well with this brake. additionally, the levers can be quickly adjusted to fit any pair of hands. no fading issues

TheOne, R1, Louise, Marta SL, Oro

[Jul 04, 2010]
harverto

OVERALL
Strength:

Tech M4's look amazing, solid build quality (made in the uk) 4 pistons are better than two

Price, £400 is a lot of cash.
Need new shifters as the levers are obstructed by the brake master cylinder

Looks the dogs bollox, Great build quality, but a lot of £££ (or $$$) but you get what you pay for!

I thought I'd put up this bit of info from the back of hope's installation guide so you know what they are ment for as I jumped in blind!!!

Hope say these are for
1st: All Mountain / Trail / Enduro

2nd: Free ride / cross country

3rd/: Down hill / XC Race

Once I've used these for 6 months I'll do another review to say how they work. At the end of the day they'll have to work dam well for such a big price tag

Avid jucie 3's

[May 30, 2010]
ayup

OVERALL
Strength:

Modulation and power

Weight and can fade on big alpine descents (in the Alps)

I've had this original Hope M4 brake for 8 years now. It's been on the back of three different frames with a 185mm rotor and ridden hard on everything from all-day alpine epics to 2000m descents in Switzerland to slow speed, techy shore riding. Not once has it let me down. A quality bit of British built kit. Sadly, it's time to retire my Frankenbrake setup (M4 and Juciy 7) for a proper, matching getup.....Hope Tech-4.

Hope C2, AVID Juicy 7

[May 15, 2010]
essexrider1989

OVERALL
Strength:

weight,looks, power and ease of service and the modulation at high speed is amazing.

price i suppose,

I think these brakes are well worth the money, you dont get this kind of quality and craftmanship on any other brand and that the same on all hope products if you ask me, and there made in england...what more could you want?

shimano,hayes,avid

[Dec 12, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautifully made. The original model (of which this is one) was matched to a particular rotor size, so no faffing with adaptors. Instant bite in heavy rain.

Drags insufferably even if carefully centred. Thius may not slow you down but when your front wheel is going "woo-woo-woo-woo" you can't tolerate it for long. Not actually any better than a well set up V-brake in most conditions, and a lot heavier. No way to check fluid level without opening the reservoir and topping it up.

More modern disc brakes are no doubt better, but this one suffers from the car brake mentality, i.e. it doesn't matter if it drags. The springs are really anti-rattle devices and have nowhere near enough strength to retract the pads - this is hit or miss. Sometimes you'll have it just right and then it will start again after 10 miles. Very irritating, and it drive me back to V-brakes.

[Jul 19, 2009]
BizS

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks (love the 'machined from billet' solid looks, including the 'gaudy' Union Jack flag), feel (rock solid machined components), modulation, braking strength. I bought mine with the stainless lines and floating rotor, and the quality and looks are tops!

My only small gripe would be that I wish they would have spec'd the brake lines with some revolving-type lock-nut to more easily dial out any line bends or kinks--the way the Hope technician showed to do this on their video didn't quite work for me...a minor quibble

The best disc brakes I've used so far. I'm a motorcycle guy (have raced my 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 w/Brembo radial master cylinder), and have to say these brakes feel like a good moto-setup. More than enough power and modulation. So far, after several runs on my trail, they have performed without a hiccup. My Magura Marta's on my 2003 Ellsworth Truth have had episodic problems with lever feel, and I've had to re-bleed them a half-a-dozen times. Magura's are nice when set up properly, but are a finicky lot to bleed and maintain. Moreover, they are prone to fade so you can forget about doing any freeride with them (not that you'd chose that model to freeride with anyhow). I'm now a converted Hope-believer, and they make great kit for the $$. They are the 'Chris King of the UK' IMHO.

I graduated from rim brakes to hydraulic rim brakes to Avid mechanical BB disc brakes, and lastly to Magura Marta (SL's and regular). These brakes smokes them all

[May 17, 2009]
AustinBiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Rediculous modulation and power

Price.

I've ridden most of the popular brakes out over the last few months in the quest for my new 29'er. My old hardtail had Juicy 5's. What these brakes will give you over Ultimates, XTR's, and Martas of the world is *control* without fading, while retaining as much of your speed as possible. All the brakes out there can stop you, most of the time. These give you the option to apply infinitely varied levels of braking, depending on the situation... exactly what you need to ride fast. Need to slow just a touch for that hairpin followed by a nasty climb? No prob. My old juicy's used to be a nightmare in such situations, gobbling the whole way as my bike jerked to and fro. Need to still have brakes at the end of a wicked downhill? These will not fail you.

They are expensive, but worth it.

Hayes, Juicy 5's, Juicy 3's, Ultimates, XTR, Magura Martas

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.