Hope C2 Disc Brake System

The C2 brake is a development of our original hydraulic disc brake featuring a closed 2-piston caliper and the popular pro lever. We produce calipers to fit almost all disc mounts on frames and forks. The outer half of the caliper can be changed to accommodate the different fixing points.

System type: Closed
Lever type: Pro
Caliper No.'s: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 9:74, & 11
Standard Disc: 145, 165, & 185

[Oct 03, 2018]
Old School Ride

OVERALL
Strength:

Found this at my LBS in the used parts section. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 20yrs old. Running it on the front of my Jones LWB with a 203mm rotor. I appreciate the ease of adjustability while riding. Modulation is superb. Stopping power is good- I've never wanted/needed more. I can see how other brakes have a lot more power, but since I've never come up short on power, I've had no reason to change. Hope was very responsive about pointing me to the proper adapter to use- excellent customer svc. Pads seem to last for awhile.

I wish it was mineral oil! The bar clamp is sharp and when I loop my thumbs in the nook of my Jones bar, the clamp digs into my hand. Not a huge deal. I'll probably file or grind it smooth at some point.

Price Paid:
$30
Purchased:
Used
[Apr 18, 2012]
oneeyedjoe

OVERALL
Strength:

Top quality materials
Brilliant craftmanship
Excellent aftercare/support
Incredible durability
Unmatched reliability
Very good performance

Not the lightest on the market.
No longer manufactured.

I bought a set of these with pro levers for my DH rig way back in 1998. Yes 1998!
They first travelled to the Alps (Les Gets) in '99 and have taken over a decade of abuse since then. My 1000GBP Hanebrink forks never made it home from France but these Hope brakes have never required so much as a service. Never been bled and have never let me down. They are still on my downhill bike today and will stay there for years to come. I have never experienced a product of such high quality and I cannot imagine ever ditching these brakes and the Big 'un hubs I bought with them. FFS the hoses haven't even cracked yet!

[Dec 13, 2011]
jrsnot

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb proof design, on the fly adjust-ability, stops very well! Over 10 years, almost no maintenance, and no issues. Awesome looking.

Slightly heavy for some, but come on.

Best overall brakes I have ever ridden. If you can find some used, buy them and enjoy.

XT, XTR, Magura, Juicy

[Mar 05, 2011]
aybarssurucu

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustability, strength, amazing material quality.

Yeae 2011 and I have the first series when Giant had the licence to use them with MPH brand. Still going strong and haven't been bleeded for 3 years...

Many disc brake setups...

[May 16, 2010]
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

works really well, never serviced. very easily adjustable.

not as powerful as modern brakes.

this brake is over 10 years old, has had 3 owners, i've had it for 2 years (free from a mate!) and i've never had it bled or serviced! still works really really well, very easily adjustable even with gloves on. has a braided hose which looks sick and is really strong. ultimately, not as powerful or strong as current hydraulic discs, but clearly way ahead of its time! if you can get your hands on some, go for it!

hayes hfx9

[Apr 07, 2010]
BikeSwan

OVERALL
Strength:

- Great stopping power
- Great looks
- Easy to install
- Very Durable (I have been using them for 6 years)
- Easy to maintain

Pricy (But worth it)

This is an amazing brake system. The power, looks and durabilty of this break is amazing. If you can find a pair BUY THEM!

Hope M4's

[May 04, 2008]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable, durable, maintenance free

for XC rider they are slightly heavy

I'm an XC racer. As such, I have been know to obsess a little bit about weight. That said, i've never even considered swapping out my brakes for a newer or lighter set! There is something to be said for durability and reliability. The adjustability of these brakes is amazing. I think that despite the weight penalty they make me a better rider. I haven't done a lick of maintenance since getting them almost 2 years ago used. They've been ridden through every condition imaginable and function perfectly. Sure I have to adjust them when the temperature changes, but it's a few twists of the know and I can dial them in exactly how I want. Too bad Hope doesn't make these any more. I guess they don't have to because i'm convinced that these things will last forever.

Avid

[Jun 28, 2003]
Malcolm Jitam

OVERALL
Strength:

The articulation - you can feel the brakes grabbing which gives you control. Especially important when riding down rainforest roots, slick moss covered sandstone and the like. Easy to bleed and work on, but I never did had to change the fluid.

Had a problem with air in one which became a problem until my 20th bleed or something like that. We should NOT penalise this close system for the fluid swelling up on long downhills- that's what it is - close system. Maybe a bit on the heavy side.

This brake have been around for many years and it's still getting good reviews. Old die hard freeriders are still using them - they are good but if your're into XC or ride super long downhills then perhaps the Minis should be for you.

Shimano - which would not tell you when it'll grab.

[Apr 06, 2006]
Eder Savio
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

All. Powerful, adjustable.

Discontinued.

This brake is amazing. Never more Hayes.

Hayes FX9, Hayes Mag, Grimeca S8, Tektro Gemini.

[Aug 30, 2003]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

When paying top wedge for a respectable, reliable product you deserve quality and with the C2's you do. I've had them for four months now and they're fine. I ride cross country and I chose these over the M4's due to the closed system and due to the fact that I like to adjust the biting point of my brakes and with these you can do just that. The factory pads are rubbish in the wet, invest in some sintered for the winter, I've had the original pads from day one and I average 700kms a month, they've still got plenty of tread left in them.

The only other small thing that's not even worth mentioning is that in climate changes of +/-15 degrees C, you'll have to adjust the knob's to your liking again due to the brake fluid expanding and contracting.

It's like with anything if you invest in quality you get it, with the C2's you get just that, they should drop the price by about 15% but if people are buying them then why should they. Get them for the long run of trouble free riding.

Magura julies not bad for 55 uk pounds and formula B4's which were half decent.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.