Haynes Sole Disc Brake System

• Mini single piston caliper

[May 22, 2020]
jbozo89

OVERALL
Strength:

Stop good, once broken in little adjustment needed.

Purchased:
Used
[Jun 15, 2009]
Whatto

OVERALL
Strength:

Stopping power in all conditions. No grimey rims from brake pad wear. Pads have lasted well (in this application)

Lop-sided pad wear (single piston thing). Finnicky adjustment. Poor alignment to rotor.

As my first disc brakes and used only for commuting, they were great step up from rim brakes. Now I have experienced these I'm looking for something without all the frustrating bits.
My main gripe is the poor alignment to the rotor braking surface. The pads are actually wider than the wear surface of the disc and that means that a significant part of the pad runs on the 7 spokes of the disc. All it does is shudder! I have tried a different disc but to no avail.
For low-end hydraulics they get a low-end rating. Ho hum.

[Feb 12, 2009]
L4m3r

OVERALL
Strength:

Works
Smooth braking

Cheap. Single-piston hydraulics? WEAK.
Difficult to adjust
Required bleeding after only a few months
Stupid bleeding system

These were my first disc brakes. At first I thought they were really cool- not just discs, but hydraulics! They stopped quickly and smoothly.

They did rub a lot, mostly because of the awful single-caliper design.

It was not long before the braking power started to diminish. It soon became clear that I needed to bleed my brakes. I bought the bleed kit and did the front, then started the back... I had a hard time getting the bleed valve open. Eventually I forced it with vise-grips, breaking the valve bolt and ruining the rear caliper.

After that, I bought some BB7s and never looked back. Overhauling the entire brake system was expensive, but I didn't want to deal with maintenance for hydraulic brakes.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would BUY these. If they come on your bike, that's one thing... but if you're going to purchase a set of brakes, look elsewhere. There are mechanical brakes that are better than this junk.

Avid Juicy Seven (203mm front/rear)
Avid BB7 (185mm front, 160mm rear)
Tektro Aquila (160mm front/rear)

[Feb 12, 2009]
dirtyjerz

OVERALL
Strength:

Stop good, once broken in little adjustment needed.

Single piston design relies on rotor flex to work correctly.

These came with the bike. I wouldn't bike these to put on a bike cause there is nicer stuff for reasonable prices out there. They're better than rim brakes and better than mechanical discs I've ridden. I don't really like the way they work. Flexing a rotor laterally isn't really what I'd like to see. Even when they're adjusted right they have to bend the rotor towards the static pad some. That said they stop my 200lbs and 36lb bike consistently and I haven't done any maintenance to them after they broke in. I wouldn't use them for downhill but if you ride xc and they come on your bike they'll do.

Cantilevers, V's, Unknown mech discs

[Aug 19, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

they are light and easy to replace pads.

they can get annoying with having to undo a small bolt to adjust pad contact which threads easily.

these brakes are good for XC and if you have the pad contact right they can work really well.

[Jun 24, 2008]
yakuza
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap

no stopping power, they are really loud when you tap them lightly.

If you have extra money get better brakes. Good for street riding and cross country but if you like going fast dont get them

[Jun 03, 2008]
Vitaly K.

OVERALL
Strength:

very simple brake. has no problem at all. need no maintenance at all. passed without leaking many crashes, part of them because it didn't stop.

my weight is about 95kg ant it just has not the power to stop me.

good brake for simple city bike. i am going to put it on my girlfriends bike.

have v-brakes before and should stay with it.

[May 20, 2008]
Gary Artis

OVERALL
Strength:

Calipers adjust with an allen wrench.

Noisy rotors. Rotors need to be burnished with emery cloth every few rides to reduce noise.

Came with the bike. In a year and a half of hard riding, these brakes have performed as well as any brakes I have used. The rotors start "singing" after a few rides, but a couples of swipes with emery cloth quiets them down. The calipers can be adjusted with an allen wrench without having to remove the wheel. I have used Hayes FX-9's in the past, but they were so much trouble I got rid of them.

Hayes FX-9, Avid BB-7.

[May 18, 2008]
Fred Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

No Significant mechanical problems. Easy to Adjust. Never needed to bleed.

Lack of stopping Power is the main weakness. Also the pads seem to glaze over very quickly on a decent decent, rendering the brakes almost useless.

Nothing special. Easy to use and adjust and never have had to bleed them, but they lack real power, especially for a hydro. They glaze over WAY to quickly. Average. Probably better to save up a bit more and upgrade to a better set.

[May 05, 2008]
Spencer M

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap
relatively easy to adjust
great stopping power for "back country" riding
better than most rim brakes and some mechanicals

brake components loosen easily through use on trails
brake performance fluctuates (sometimes good, sometimes bad, depending on rider's maintenence)

These brakes are great for the average rider who likes to have fun and let off some steam on the back country trails in the neighbourhood. Stopping power is more than enough for going down steep downhills or for when one needs to stop on a dime at moderate speeds. Everything is easily adjusted, although some parts like to come loose soon after they are adjusted, but that's a minor setback. I would not recommend anyone who rides their bikes hard (ie downhill, freeride, etc, etc) to use these brakes. Not quite enough power for those applications. In all, I think these are great entry-level hydraulic discs, and those who want a taste of what they're like should try these out

avid BB5s

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.