Hayes Stroker Trail Disc Brake System

Radial design, cast aluminum master-cylinder with integrated reservoir; carbon fiber lever blade with an indexed reach adjuster dial. Symmetrical, flip-flop lever design with removable bar clamp.

[May 06, 2015]
jpbova

OVERALL
Strength:

Work well. When they work

Adjustability. Durability

Worst set of brakes I have ever had. They worked for a season. Now I can't get them to stop rubbing. I have cleaned the cylinders and greased them. Will never buy another hayes product again. Complete junk

[Sep 29, 2012]
akacoke

OVERALL
Strength:

they are fairly light compare to the BB7 set up i had for years, i have the newest 2012 ones, they are very nice brakes if you get them at a good price . great power . good for mild DH , plenty enough to XC. they would lock up the wheels instantly if you want them to. it actually amazes me how good the modulation is. lever action is smooth, returns well. overall a very solid brake set.

IMO almost too much modulation , out of the box the lever has a bit much travel then i expected, and its lacking that extra firm feel , maybe bleeding would get rid of the extra long lever travel and soft lever.

i payed $120 for a brand new set F&R without rotors or adapter, so i can not complaint. they are just very decent brakes, i dont experience any problems others have, maybe hayes has already improved them. they function just flawless , id recommand to anyone

[Jul 28, 2012]
amirn3

OVERALL
Strength:

- braking power
-modulation
-comforatable levers
-looks good
-great price' nothing can beat it on this price

none so far

i love it' if you are thinking on new brakes around this price get it, its the best you can get!

[May 20, 2012]
Tom Thomson
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

- Great Stopping Power
- Perfect Modulation
- Look sexy

- None so far

Perfect modulation and stopping power, even in the toughest conditions. I have been taking them out a few times to Fruita (Colorado's MTB heaven) and this who know Fruita know it's the ultimate brake test. I upgraded from the Stroker Ryde's to the Trails and it's a major difference. The Trail's are amazing value for money and I can't think of an better brake for the same price than these. I have experience with Avid and Hope but I've always gone back to Hayes.

Hayes Stroker Ryde

[Feb 08, 2012]
mtnbiker559
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight , great stopping power,

for the price nothing beat the hayes stroker trail breaks

other hayes breaks

[Sep 30, 2011]
lloydd71

OVERALL
Strength:

When they worked, they would stop my bike.

Lack of modulation and reliability.

These were my first set of disc brakes that came stalk on a bike. They gave me problems from day one, which I assumed was just the price of having disc brakes. I couldn't seem to get them to stop rubbing on the rotor. After repeated trips to the shop, Hayes decided to rebuild them. In the month it took Hayes to rebuild them I decided I'd had enough and purchased a pair of Avid Elixir CR's. The difference was night and day and I realized how much my Hayes just sucked. When I received the rebuilt brakes, I put them in the garage for the next two years until I received a new bike frame. Wanting to save a little money, I decided to put the rebuilt Hayes on the new bike. Again, they were very fussy and gave me grief with rotor rub. After a short time, the rear brake started to fade so I took them in for a bleed. I was told that the master-cylinder needed replacing, so I replaced it. Two rides later, the rear brake stopped working. Back to the bike shop. This time the bike shop contacted Hayes and sent the brake off. Hayes reported that the rear brake line had been destroyed, even though I had just purchased the rear brake line specifically for the new bike and it had less than a few hundred miles on it with no damage to it. My LBS reported a difficult time dealing with Hayes and after six weeks, they sent the brakes back with a new brake line that they begrudgingly paid for.

Bottom line: These brakes didn't work all that well on the rare day they were working - sticky levers and lack of modulation. My bikes have spent way too many days out of commission as a result of this inferior product. Although I know people who have these same brakes and are OK with them, my experience (both with the brakes and with Hayes customer service) keeps me from recommending them.

Shimano XT and Avid Elixir CR's.

[Sep 04, 2011]
marzocchimarc

OVERALL
Strength:

everything, power, modulation, reliable and easy to bleed.

none except hard to center maybe?

these brakes perform alot better than some very expensive brakes. they feel great, have almost no brake fade, powerfull, grrrrrreat looking, RELIABLE and cheap. what more could you really ask for in a brake?? i would HIGHLY reccomend this brake to anyone!!!

shimano saint, shimano slx, hayes mx4, avid(terrrrrrible!!)

[Aug 22, 2011]
VTSession

OVERALL
Strength:

Lite, smooth lever action, modulates well, powerful, looks good, low profile design, good price.

interferes a little with the positioning of my X9 shifters, longer lever reach.

I went with the Hayes Stroker because I had three sets of HFX 9 brakes over the years and never had a problem with any of them. So far these prove to be well built, powerful and solid. I'm confident they'll last me many seasons

Avid Elixers, Hayes HFX, Shimano XTs

[Aug 18, 2011]
outlaw1776

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Not much adjustment.

Purchased with a used bike and thought the brakes sacked..... but replaced the rotors and pads and they're really good! Even modulation and steady power throughout. I wouldn't race them but more than adequate for typical XC riding.

[Aug 09, 2011]
mdubyade

OVERALL
Strength:

good power, white color, easy reach adjustment, kit I bought came with parts to shorten brake line.

you have to pull lever for about 1.5 cm before any engagement, has a more on/off feel, there is modulation but it is little and it takes a minute to get used to, but I am still breaking mine in so it could get better.

For the price you cannot beat the performance and looks. It is pretty light too. I am happy with my purchase, would buy again. The line that came on mine was super long so I had to shorten and my brake came with the extra parts to do so, which was nice. I was also able to shorten the line without having to re-bleed, which was very nice, just don't spill any fluid. Replacing pads is also a snap. I think after mine is properly broken in I will really enjoy it. I currently just have the rear, but I will defiantly get the front in the future. 5 chilies for great value, 4 chilies overall because on the dead pull before engagement. I bought because I needed a brake and just wanted to get riding again, don't buy if you can afford better.

Juicy 3

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.