Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc Brake System

• Mini single piston caliper

[Jun 16, 2018]
Smerkan

OVERALL
Strength:

These brakes work great until they suddenly dont work at all!

Ddeadly. plug pops then no brakes. I had both brakes fail simultaneously going down hill into an intersection with heavy traffic. Saved only by old school foot on front tyre and swerving into fence on side walk. Email Hayes- they had no interest in discussing or accepting any responsibility for their product.

Purchased:
New
[Jun 16, 2018]
Smerkan

Strength:

These brakes work great until they suddenly dont work at all!

[Dec 12, 2015]
pedro

OVERALL
Strength:

good braking power (im 62kg), very easy to maintain, free of problems, very good adjusting

with a 18kg bike, 20 minutes downhill in a hard singletrack they acused, but only happens one time in a month

use in a mondraker level, heavy bike on heavy use, no problems, always work, good brake, good taste, good sensations

[Jun 11, 2015]
Stanislav

OVERALL
Strength:

They work. I've been using them for 8 years - they work, and work, and work. Stop the bike quite quickly even from 70 kph of a hill.

Frankly, I can't say anything bad about these brakes. Had to bleed them twice over 8 years - I guess it's quite OK for any brake system. They still work perfectly on my bike.

The only thing - they do not produce this no more. Now it's more for the "dual" brakes and other stuff - why bother, if the single-pad brakes work fine?

Those are good non-expensive brakes for your MTB.

Got them with my 2007 Jamis Dakota Sport and you know, thought about replacing them with something like Juicy Five or Juicy Seven, due to a large number of people complaining about this brake system. Rode the first 1000km on my bike and thought - what the hell? Hayes Sole works perfectly, why would I think of replacing it?

No, really, nothing bad that I can say about those brakes. They work, and this is it.

In the Price Paid section I wrote a stunning $1000 - of course it goes for the whole bike, not only the brakes. Have no idea how much Hayes Sole costs when bought separately.

Tektro IO

[Oct 24, 2014]
Arnold Juarez

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong break system. Easy to clean and change break pads. I think they look nice but looks are not all that important as long as I can stop.

Can't think of any weakness for break system.

I have been using this break system for about 5yrs. with out having to have any repair done to them. I ride all types of trails from soft to very rocky and light rain. I am a very aggressive rider and these breaks have not failed me once. I always use my breaks with just a few taps to slow down. I don't believe in riding my breaks. Maybe that is why they have lasted me so long plus I always clean my break system about every 2 to 3 rides depending on how trail conditions are. With all the trouble the other rides are having with this break system I consider my self very lucky with I haven't experienced there problems.

[Aug 04, 2014]
Antony aiken

OVERALL
Strength:

I suppose they look ok.

These are deadly. Why Hayes hasn't done a full world wide recall is insane.
I've had these in my shed for about 8months. I've just fitted them to an azonic ds1 that I've had lying about...... One day. They lasted one day before I shot the bleed plug across the garage and had brake fluid running down the stations of my fox's.

Pissed off isn't even close to how I feel. I am monumentally angry at Hayes. How did they not do a product test?
Who designed them?
Who signed these off as fit for purpose?

Whomever it was needs to be sued for endangering thousands of lives by producing safety equipment that actually endangers life.

I will never buy Hayes ever again.
Hope m4's now adorn my bike and they are superior in every single possible way.

Take them off your bike. Put them in an envelope with an engineers report detailing the design failures. And a health and safety risk assessment of these "brakes" and post it to Hayes. Then send a copy of the reports to their legal team.

[Mar 29, 2014]
swamploop

OVERALL
Strength:

They showed me how bad a break could be and what not to look for in a hydraulic disk break system.

The plug that is simply a rubber cork shoved into the bleed valve hole. WTF!!!!!!!! This is a system that generates pressure! What engineer would see this as a safe system????!!!! .... Screams like a banshee. THEY WILL KILL YOU LIKE ONE TOO!

Old product but looks like they are still popping up on used bikes so I will add a reveiw that I should of added long ago.

These breaks came stock on my 07 trek 6500. I Thought they where great. My first real bike from a LBS and the latest greatest in breaking at the time. Hayes how could I go wrong? Then one day a year or so after I bought the bike I was on a long bike ride with a new girl. She was a noob rider so I gave her some tips right before we hit a long techy down hill section. (Abandoned over grown logging road. Nothing but large rock left do to wash out. ) So I go first and try to show her a line to take. When suddenly my rear break fails as I try to whip my tail. My line is off and I am tumbling over some nasty sheet hardtails should never try to go over. I see fluid spewing from my rear break handle as I now ham fist both in a attempt to stop. The bike is bucking like a bronco. The fine line of too much front and not enough is hard to tell. But I am headed straight to a massive boulder. We are out in the middle of nowhere and there is no way this girl will know what to do with me if I hit hard. I grab full front break just as I am about to hit the boulder and the tail of my bike starts to eject me into the wall of stone. Some how by the grace of god I find a way not to go face first into it. This all do to a rubber plug shooting out. If you have these on your bike take them off now! Or tap the hole and put a set screw in there. I replaced these soles with elixers after that ride and have had no issues in the 7 years since. That girl now my wife is still freaked out from what she saw that day. I tell her she has nothing to worry about she has shimano breaks and I tossed those soles in the bin long ago and there is no way they can hurt anyone any more.

Juicy seven
Elixir R

[May 27, 2013]
Zergenator

OVERALL
Strength:

very adjustable for low budget brakes. good power the odd time they do work

fade very fast. ugly (in my opinion)

Got these on my giant ac. back brake on 180mm rotor works every time of asking. Front (on 203mm)is just a joke bled it myself and it worked for a couple of hours, then got it overhauled by my local shop new hose, olives, pads,cleaned etc.. again brake failed in no time at all. Dangerous to say the least.

[Apr 15, 2012]
Darryl

OVERALL
Strength:

They look good.

They fail.

I have had these brakes on my Cannondale for about 6 years. They are regularly serviced, bled properly.
The other day I went on a downhill ride, and whilst pumping the brakes they each failed.
The back brake failed completely, without any result when I pulled the lever to the bars.
The front brake mostly failed, although there was a little left in it, enough that I could not career off a cliff with my foot dragging on the track.
Not sure what hayes did but they stuffed these up... and on a high spec bike I didn't expect shoddly stuff. I'll never buy Hayes again.

[Mar 07, 2012]
rufio

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks: I think they look great. They look like a hydraulic brake should, lever, lever body, hose an caliper. That's what it's all about. Bleeding is easy. All I do is hook up the bleed bottle full of brake juice onto the bleed nipple on the caliper and I squeeze the bottle, then I pull the plug on top until all the bubbles and old brake juice comes out and I cap it off. Then I ride it, done. Adjustable pads and completely re-buildable. The adjustable pad things on the sides of the calipers work very well. It's nice to be able to adjust the pads if the feel too soft or too tight or the pad is rubbing on one side.

They don't make them any more. I understand that dual piston is the new thing, but these have a special place in my heart, and on my bike, because I'm still banging these out.

These brakes are some of the best brakes I have ever ridden. You can adjust the pads by sticking an allen key in these adjuster places on the outside of the caliper, brake pads are inexpensive and they are strong. I threw on some DangerBoy levers as upgrades and they really increased the power by decreasing lever flex. Dude, when I need to get it in on my bike and I don't want to worry about something going wrong with my brakes this is where it's at. These have really made my past few years on the bike because they are so good. I know they don't make these anymore, so this is more of a nostalgia post.

Hayes HFX 9s, Hayes Strokers. The closest product to this is probably something like the BB7, which I love. The Sole is a single piston system and the BB7 only moves one pad so, It is more like that, but with more stopping powers.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.