Hayes Prime Pro Disc Brake System

Best Price At

It’s here. And it’sThe first of its kind. PRIME hydraulic discbrakes feature industry-firstTechnologies and offer more power, newcomponents and a better ride. PRIME’sTool-free reach and contactadjustment, improved brakingTorque and feel and outstanding ergonomicsare just a few of its many attributes. Plus, its ground-breaking,high-flow reservoir venting system has never been seen before. Hayes calipers useThe 74mm mounting standard. Adapters are needed for IS frame/forks. Sold

[Jul 01, 2018]
stas

OVERALL
Strength:

Have been using it both on my DH and trail bikes since 2012. Haven’t had to do any maintenance. Great reliability, power and durability. And the levers are the best out there.

None at all

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2012
[Nov 05, 2015]
Doug V.

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustability, modulation, braking power, good looks.

The bleed port on the lever housing cracked.

I love MTB. I've been riding since 1988. I don't ride a lot anymore, but still get out there. My Lynskey 29 SS was my treat to myself after retiring from the Army. But, the bike has sat in the garage as much as it has hit the trail since building it back in Jan '13. Getting it ready for the trails again, I noticed my rear brake was sloppy (front is fine)-- it needed bleeding. I used the Hayes Pro Bleed kit and followed the video. I bled it, but it was still sloppy. I bled it again...same result. After the third attempt, while replacing the bleed port screw, I discovered the bleed port was cracked. With as little use as these brakes have endured, I find it incredible that the housing would crack. I have been maintaining my own bikes for over 20 years and consider myself competent and able when it comes to bicycle maintenance, therefore, I doubt I over-torqued the bolt causing the crack...or, if I did, the housing was faulty or the materials used were of inferior quality. Regardless, this fault should not have occurred given its use or my maintenance.

Shimano, Avid.

[Jul 24, 2013]
getoutnride
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy adjustments, power modulator, good stopping power.

Have to bleed them consonantly.

I love these brakes. Easy to adjust them to your hand. Good feel and love that I can modulate the stopping power. I have had to bleed them twice a season. Two times to many if you ask me. Maybe there is bad seal somewhere in both the front and rear, never have had to bleed my Hayes Strokers. Luckily I have a shop that I can do this in, but I would rather not. Other than that they are great brakes.

[May 28, 2013]
SpiderTaxi

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable without tools, modulation, levers are perfectly shaped, stopping power is right on

I can't say this is a weakness, but riding fat bikes in the snow if they get wet they honk (which I like anyway)

I am running Prime Pros on all five of my bikes including my Fatbike. I purchased the first pair for my Intense 5.5 and the grin I got while riding them was pure joy-joy. The first ride is all about adjustment and pumping them in was really was impressed enough to outfit my other bikes. What I really like is when wearing bigger winter gloves, I can easily adjust the lever distance without tools.

[Apr 15, 2013]
3djock

OVERALL
Strength:

I could not pass up a deal for $105 a piece at pricepoint.com,I am sure glad I got them well worth it.
Modulation and stopping power are excellent, I have used XT,Saints and other Hayes but these are by far best I have used. It definitely makes you ride faster with better control. They know how to make brakes and they have been at it a long time.

Decals okay on the levers but tend to ware off

I don't understand where http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-hayes-prime-pro-brake-12-45957 is coming from. Real world test by people not machines gets it with me and they are totally off on that one. Get them if you can..

[Sep 07, 2012]
endurofanatic
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Power, modulation, adaptability, look, feel, single finger braking, no fading
Hayes Customer support

Needed a bleed wright out of the box (but this is so easy it isn't a real issue).
Is sensitive to proper braking in, but then again, aren't they all

Bought a set on actionsports.de for a mere 230euro's so no complaints there ;-)
First look out of the box you notice the excellent finish. Mounting them is very straight forward and simple.
Being a (very) heavy rider (260lbs) I really am demanding on my brakes, especially in long and steep descents. I use these brakes on my 29'er with 180mm rotors front and 160mm rear. Till now, these are the first brakes without fading when going down a very steep technical descent nearby. Furthermore, it's single finger braking all the way because of the superior power en great modulation. Bite point is adjustable with the poppet cam and not like some others, you feel the slightest change. Also, because of the power and modulation I think these brakes would do very well on an enduro/DH bike.
Bottom line, couldn't be more happier with these brakes and recommend them strongly. Hayes has really stepped up on this one. And did I already mention the superior Hayes customer care ? Ask a question, receive an answer within a couple of hours, and that is really impressing.

Shimano XT and XTR (2010, 2011 and 2012), Formula RX, Hayes Stroker ryde, Avid Code, Magura Louise FR, Magura Louise BAT

[Jun 21, 2012]
g1701gst
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Power
Modulation
Adjustable
Egonomics, single finger braking
Straight forward Setup
Easy to bleed and self service the caliper
Hayes customer service

I wish they made a carbon lever available, because that would be sexy.

I been riding my Prime Pros hard for a year now and I am still very happy with them. They started to make noise and lose power about a month ago, so I bleed them and they feel like new again and are back to being silent. I had some problems with the hayes bleed kit but it was all user error and my first time bleeding brakes. My second try went much better when I used my formula bleed kit but I am sure I could do it properly with the hayes kit now too.

I ride lots of DH, AM, bike parks and Moab. Never once have I worried about stopping power or control. I love the way these feel and prefer them over the Stroker Aces, Formula RX and Shimano XTs on my other bikes.

Durability had been good. I have had quite a few crashes and know these brakes can take some hits. I did get a little play at the pivot bolt for the lever after one crash. When I went to tighten the bolt it snapped. I called hayes up and they sent me out a new bushing and bolt right away for free, no questions asked. Fixed it right up. I have only use the T103 Pads that came with my brakes, they have been long lasting and quiet. They worked great with V8 rotors and Brake Authority S3 floating rotors.

Reach adjust works well, easy with gloves. Poppet CAM is neat and does work well. I like my brake to grab as soon as I pull my lever so I leave set on short stroke(pointed forward). I does give a large range of feels for your preference. It is set and forget adjustment. The addition of crosshair alignment to the caliper looks stupid easy to setup

Very happy with my purchase, I would buy again for my next bike and recommend it to anyone for DH racing to casual trail riding. Also the price is excellent. Glad I didn't by some other over priced brake.

Stroker Trail, Stroker Aces, Shimano SLX, XT, Formula RX, Avid CR, Avid Code

[Jun 15, 2012]
Adam
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Very adjustable, east acces to adjustments, great modulation, insane stopping power, build quality, looks.

Ya right!

If you Have a bike Get these!

Hayes Stroker Ace

[Jun 13, 2012]
boonecounty

OVERALL
Strength:

Got these brakes on a deal and have never looked back. My girlfriends Avid Elixirs are having tons of problems, same with a friend who has shimano XT's. I installed these brakes myself and really did follow Hayes suggestion of 50+ complete stops to sinter the pads. After that I have taken them out on the trail and ripped without hesitation. They are a huge improvement on my old brakes and really provide the stopping power I need on a big travel 29er. I have only had one squeak out of them. Most of the time they are super strong, and super quiet. The modulation is perfect and the easy adjustments are fantastic.

None yet.

Get these breaks, super happy with their performance.

[May 19, 2012]
truthBtold

Strength:

None of yet. Maybe they are a tad on the heavier side.

Got these for an aggresive AM build. They have been great. Spent the weekend in Ashalnd which really put them through their paces. Lots of prolonged heavy braking DH runs. Brakes didnt over heat and didnt lose any stopping power. Plus they are super easy to adjust on the fly. Modulation is great, and again easily adjusted along with lever reach etc. If you are considering purchasing these stop considering and just buy them. You will not regret it.

• Available At