Hayes HFX Mag XC Disc Brake System

-Two piece master cylinder allows lever to be remonved without removing shifters and grips
-Sintered metallic all-weather pad compound
-V6 Rotor
-Black Kevlar hose
-Open back caliper for easier adjustment and cooler running system

[Oct 05, 2013]
vk45de

OVERALL
Strength:

Maintenance-free, power, reliability, drag-free, easy adjustment, easy bleeding, cheap, long pad wear, ergonomic lever

Pad and brake tract don't really line up. Noise (Sintered-Met)

I've had this since like 2002 and it's been performing as good as new. About the most comfortable lever shape I've ever had. I've left this brake like in the corner for years on end and when I take it out, it's as ready to throw me over the handlebars as ever - w/o dragging on the rotors. I've recently bought a pair of Stroker Aces but decided these were just as good so I sold the Aces.

If you want a cheap, reliable, and powerful brake and don't need the bling, boy is this the brake for you.

Avid BB5, Grimeca System 11, Avid Elixir R, Hayes Stroker Ace, Tektro IOX

[Dec 01, 2010]
westeast

OVERALL
Strength:

modulation and reliability. Only rarely do I get any brake squeal.

this is being picky, but it took me a while to figure the set up with my sram x9 shifters. I imagine with the newer x9's and the sliding post mount this would not be an issue. I eventually found a good fit for it all so really not an issue.

It's been 6 years, maybe 4 sets of pads, and I'm only now considering rebuilding and bleeding the brakes or possibly just purchasing some new ones. The avids look cool, but after reading about all the noise issues I'm leaning towards sticking with my hayes mags. They just work.

v-brakes, original shimano disc brakes.

[Jun 15, 2009]
imabiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Still working even though second-hand. Very sensitive, and easy to bleed.

It is very different to v-brakes, but im geting used to it.

These are really decant brakes. We have found a few tricks as with how to bleed them, and they are all on my blog, http://meandmymtb.blogspot.com/. I would buy these brakes new, I just don't know how easy parts are to get.

[Jul 30, 2007]
dave

OVERALL
Strength:

I have the 8"/6" set up and it stops a 38 lb bike great. nosewheelies at speed are no problem. and it stops better than any other disc brake single piston type set up around. dependable and easy to set up a bit of a chore to bleed. quality feel throughout these will make you hit the trail a little faster with your new stopping ability

a bit bulky looking for my tastes. other than that i think they ARE superior to every comparable brake system.

if you are willing to commit to hyd disc brakes, the bleeding and such and are not going 40-60 mph downhill buy these. I am pleased and if they broke id replace them with the same,but those hopes look soooo goodI dont know.....

avid juicys,hopes,hayes nines,mech disc,vs ect.

[Jan 27, 2007]
Pasi

OVERALL
Strength:

Good stopping power with V7/V8 rotors. Very reliable and easy to service.

Lacks modulation. Tends to rub the rotor, lack of caliper adjustability.

These brakes tends to give an on/off feel, i.e. lack modulation, general XC/trail riding. However, for freeride or downhill riding the stopping power is great. They have held up to many seasons of heavy use.

Magura Marta, Hayes Mag HD & Mag Plus

[May 31, 2007]
Klaus

OVERALL
Strength:

solid, easy setup

fading is an issue

fairly good for XC/ trail riding. But for anything more biased on FR, their lack of power and tendency to fading becomes an issue.

Juicy

[Sep 17, 2006]
Enrique

OVERALL
Strength:

great power, modulation, this are my first hydraulics and work way better than mechanical disc brakes

when I handed them to my LBS to get them installed on my bike, they noticed that the bleed screws were missing(BSC sent them right away) so it took like a week to get those screews to me. away from that, the brakes dont have any.

I only had riden them in a few rides, but they had worked perfectly, best modulation and power.

Shimano Deore mecanical disc brakes

[Feb 25, 2007]
mgersib

OVERALL
Strength:

decent power

lack of modulation; terrible to bleed when the need arises, and it does frequently.

these brakes have ok power, but compared to current class-leading products like the avid juicy and shimano xtr disc brakes, they lack modulation and feel, and the sequence to bleed the brakes just about requires three hands, and can turn out to be a nighmare with dot brake fluid everywhere.

in fact, i wasn't really swayed to do an online review of these brakes until the nightmare bleed session i'm in the middle of right now. hayes' "bleed kit" is a big POS. i wrenched at a shop for 7 years, and have bled many disc brakes (both motorcycle and bicycle), and these are by far the worst brakes to bleed ever. ity's virtually impossible to get all the air out of the system. you should see how much dot fluid is on the floor of my bike room right now!!

i can honestly say that it'll be a long, long time before i again spend money on a hayes brake product. they basically suck compared to just about everything else out there in 2007.

shimano xtr, avid bb7, avid juicy 7

[May 20, 2007]
bennie

OVERALL
Strength:

slowing down. rear seems to be fine

have had them "go out" once in the front, the front rubs with rotor, has been fixed. stoping power is not impressive. Skweaks in front often.

do not expect these to be miricle disc brakes, im not impressed with these, and have used many others. make sure you have the sintered brake pads, the semis are too soft.

[Aug 21, 2005]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

My Bonz one finger brake triggers fit on them, they are easy to work on, they work well

the screws that connect the master cylinder to the levers tend to loosen over time

I absolutely LOVE my Bonz one finger brake triggers. These seem to be the only brakes they make them for. Hayes brakes can be kind of a pain if you have no clue how to take care of your disc brakes. Keep the rotors clean, replace the pads every now and then, no problems. I have two bikes with HFX9s and this bike with Mags. If you VERY CAREFULLY put A LITTLE BIT of loctite on the threads of the screws that connect the levers to the master cylinders they should stop migrating. If you are a retard (like me) and you get loctite on the outside of piece that passes through the lever (the one that the screw passes through) you will be very, very unhappy.

HFX9s, shimano deore hydraulics

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.