Hayes HFX Mag HD Disc Brake System

Designed for freeride and downhill riding providing 30% more braking power. 8" rotor deliver the ultimate stopping power with th "Moto" look. New dual piston caliper. Two piece master cylinder allows lever to be removed without removing shifters and grips. High durability sintered metallic brake pads. Kevlar reinforced brake line. 525g

[Mar 18, 2013]
Jason

OVERALL
Strength:

Good stopping power
Smooth

Fail randomly

So far they have been good for me. But recently I was out on a technical trail and my back brake suddenly lost pressure and I lost control. Super scary and dangerous. I asked my local bike shop about them and they said multiple people have had similar problems with the same brake. So when they work, they work really great, but when they fail, they fail hard and fast. Just gotta be ready and on your feet.

Avid Elixir 7

[Jan 03, 2010]
coiler16

OVERALL
Strength:

responsive, easy to bleed, pad replacement can be done by a doped up monkey

a little loud, pads are expensive

these brakes are great, i just replaced the pads, and the stopping power is unbelievable. its like hitting a brick wall. the best part is that i didnt even have to bleed them after i put new pads in. also, if you have to replace pads for these (or any hayes products) look for them online, they are really proud of their brakes and charge a fortune at a bike shop. i think i got mine for like $12 at pricepoint. they were twice that at my shop.

hayes sole

[Apr 14, 2006]
Jeremiah

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple to work on, widely available parts, durable

intermediate modulation

For any sort of extreme riding, these brakes w/ 8 inch are excellent. There are better brakes for 6 inch applications(xc, etc).

TAKE YOUR TIME

There is no perfect brake system out there, and there never will be. Every single brake system ever invented, whether disc or rim, takes some amount of tweaking, futzing around, and playing with to get it right.

Take the little bit of extra time to be a little bit OCD while setting these up and making any necessary adjustments. I have used these brakes on my two current bikes, and several others, and have never had any major problems with them. Any time they rub, I spend 2 or 3 minutes readjusting the caliper so they don't. Any time they scream, I take a few minutes after the ride to sand the pads a bit and rub down the rotors with alcohol, and it goes away for a long time. Any time power and modulation starts to suck (and this has only been twice in a total of over 4 years use with 8 individual brakes) I have a trusted and professional bike mechanic bleed them for me, because it's not something I've ever been able to figure out how to do right. If you also do these things with your brakes, they will work beautifully, just like they're designed to.

How do they compare: Shimano has slightly better modulation, but less high speed power. Avid is a way more finicky system to set up, and roughly equal on power and mod.

Modulation: Sure, they don't modulate at the world-class level of some brakes available, but for the price, it's worth learning how to use these right. If you spend some time using them, you will be able to modulate them perfectly, like I can.

Bottom line: If you put these brakes on and never touch them again, you will hate them, guaranteed. If you love on your bike, and put some TLC into your brakes, they will stop you every time.
Buy these brakes for any extreme application requiring 8 inch rotors and a lot of stopping power and durability. Use a high end Avid, Shimano, Magura, etc. for xc or similar use.
TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR GEAR, AND YOUR GEAR WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU

Shimano XT (6&8inch), Hayes 9 (6&8inch), Avid Juicy 5 (6&8inch)

[Jul 05, 2003]
Aaron

OVERALL
Strength:

IF set up right these brakes are Hayes top of the line. Great components and easy install, but do take time and know how.

have to be tuned a lot to stop noise and loose levers. I have a question, if you don't cut the line perfectly straight and flush connecting to the master cylinder could that hinder brake performance? My front brake has been bled twice, but feels like a strong mechanical. Hmmmm? Paint sucks too.

If I can fully tune these babies then they will be golden. If anyone can tell me why my front brake doesnt grab like a beast then please do. I have bled the front 3 times and I still wont grab. Paint is weak sauce, but who gives a poop--repaint them you cry babies. I love them, and I just hope I stay trouble free.

Hayes HMX-HD 1. Shimano XT.

[Jun 25, 2003]
jeremy

OVERALL
Strength:

every thing. power, reliable.

these brakes are sick they are great for dh and freeride, i cant comment on what they are like for xc cause i have never ridden it (i respect xc riders as much as dhs because they are doing what they like, i wouldnt wear lycra myself but for xc i spose its for a reason. some dhs give xc riders a hard time and im not down with that).
the dude baging these brakes has no idear what he is talking about, u dont clean them that just risks getting oil or other nasties on the brakes if there is any thing in the cloth u are using

hope and xt and magura but only on friends bikes

[Dec 01, 2003]
B Whitney

OVERALL
Strength:

good looks, quality parts, power,

lever durability, one direct hit, and you're lever is gone.

I have my brakes set up with the new goodridge steel-braided brake lines (SICK!!!!) If you take the time to set up the brakes right, their going to work...really well. I think what a lot of people have problems with is getting oil from either their chain, or even from a leaky fork on the rotors. This will KILL their performance! If it happens, don't even bother trying to clean the pads, go buy new ones, but definitely clean the rotor with alcohol. Read the paper that comes with the pads. It takes a while for the pads to brake in, in other words, don’t throw in new pads and hit up your race run in the same day.

I love my brakes; they work very well when maintained. I just built this new v10, and I when it came to brakes, it was either going to be XT or Hayes. I went with Hayes, cause I haven't owned anything else and I know them like the back of my hand.

I HIGHLY RECAMEND THE GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES!!!! LOOK THEM UP ONLINE!! WELL WORTH THE $60!

[Jun 14, 2007]
Brad Chandler

OVERALL
Strength:

looks good. Stops pretty well

modulation, levers and cables.

The hoses that come with them are too soft and give a mushy feel. I could not get the pads to sit well against the rotors. One of my levers stopped working and that kinda did nothing to impress me. I get a lot of screeching out of the set up. All in all I guess I would not get them again. Maybe I just got a bad one.

hayes HFX 9, Hope Mono M4, Shimano Saint.

[Jun 06, 2007]
grant

OVERALL
Strength:

OMG, major upgrade form soles, i got the B.F.L. also, and they fell great, and easy 2 finger braking

cable routing is a little weird on my hardtail

great for freeriding, when bleeded correctly, i can pull down as hard as possible at full speed and not skid, thats so great for freeriding

I love them, with the V8 they are unbeatable for the price

hayes sole, hayes nine

[Jan 28, 2004]
Ryan

OVERALL
Strength:

These brakes have plenty of power and once setup are very reliable. These brakes arent squishy when you pull in the brake. This is especially good for downhillers cuz you can set the levers closer in and you will get less arm pump - finger fatigue.

bleeding the brakes can sometimes be tricky

Hayes is a great product that has been around for a long time. They have got the right stuff for your disc brake needs.

[Dec 10, 2003]
Marcu Bogdan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good power with 8" rotor
Nice modulation

The pads are wearing too fast

Very powerfull brake, good modulation, the lever feels good, but the pads are wearing too fast, and they squeel .

Grimeca 8, Shimano Deore and XT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.