Hayes HFX 9 HD Disc Brake System

Let's face it -- accidents happen, especially on the mountain. And if you're running any of the Hayes HFX 9 series brakes, we've got you covered if a lever blade goes bye-bye. The Hayes HFX 9 Lever Blade is your savior from purchasing a whole new lever assembly in the case of catastrophe. The blade is forged from aluminum, and as we're sure you know, provides predictable modulation and dependable braking power.The Hayes HFX 9 Lever Blade is only a replacement blade for the Hayes HFX 9 series. It is available in one size and in the color Silver.

[Jun 28, 2013]
rudy

OVERALL
Strength:

Good stopping power after bedding in.
Good modulation.

Pistons get stuck therefore you get Rotor Rubbing noises.
Needs periodic "bleeding" to fix this problem.
Bleeding procedure is messy tedious

I like components which give little trouble.
The Hayes brakes are not these.
Every since I got these brakes on my bike they have always rubbed on the front rotor.
If I bleed the brakes they get a little better.
I'm tired of this . Going to ditch them for some Avid BB7s

[Sep 10, 2012]
Angelo IH

OVERALL
Strength:

what strengths? i seriously doubt if its meant for DH.

1. Pistons can stuck when the time comes to rebuild it
2. Under real pressure it leaks from EVERYWHERE and i do mean EVERYWHERE
3. The bleeding tap was a stupid idea from Hayes it can be blown and the tap base on the lever can easily be torn on a crash
4. NO adjustments other than the one with the alen screw behind and under the lever which is ->
5. the most stupid place to put the only adjustment on these brakes because a portable alen key just wont fully rotate
6. NO modulation, NO feeling and NO feedback. you either hit them hard to stop or learn how to ride without them
7. no matter how pro you are at brakes..you could be working at Hayes factory you will NEVER bleed them properly first off
8. Hayes pads suck at everything...they dont last and they make a lot of noise.
9. Brake pads are ridiculously expensive
i could be going on and on so read the review

I got these for my first bike which was an plain mtb not a DH about 3 years ago and boy they were great. awesome stopping power. Then i changed my game and got a used iron horse yakuza frame and put all the stuff on it.

After 2 years, 3 rotors (oh how they bend), a new lever adjustment screw(which was stuck and the hex was worn), a broken piston (after it got stuck) and 3 blown bleeding taps and a rebuild in a master cylinder.... i switched to stroker ace.

These brakes are NOT for DH... seriously... if you find your self in a tough spot like going down fast on rocky places and you need to press for hard brake (remember no modulation) after a while the caliber actually leaks from the where the two caliber parts join together, not to mention the bleeding tap on the caliber which bleeds for no reason.

The bleeding tap on the lever is the most stupid idea i have ever seen on brakes, it feels like pin the donkey game... there is NO screw you just have to tap a plastic pin in a rubber part on the lever the same way you would tap the cork on a wine bottle (wtf hayes?). When you need to bleed you just pull the tap off... with your fingernail.....

The adjustment for the lever height is under the lever, which makes the adjustment a pain in the a** if you are looking for a fine tuning, and remember the pads run out fast on these brakes. Also if it happens for the lube behind the screw and inside the master cylinder to wear off, just go ahead and rebuild (which means more bleeding) dont force the alen key inside the screw or you will have to get a new screw as well.

NO modulation, NO feeling and NO feedback 'nough said.

For anyone who is interested: i tried them all.. the Goodridge sintered pads are the best. they last three times as long and they dont make much noise.

If you are looking for good brakes for anything else than DH/FR and harsh conditions in general buy these, if not well its a waste of time every time you rebuild, rebleed and waste of money for the rotors, the brake fluid and the brake pads. I would recommend these to someone who would get them used in good condition for light riding. At least they seem to be working better than elixir under rain and mud.

I had to upgrade to the ace's to finally get amazing braking power, I actually brake less and i finally understand what it means to modulate and why it is so important.

No disrespect to Hayes they make pretty good brakes its just that the HFX9HD is not one of them.

Elixir, Formula One

[Feb 13, 2012]
chuckbuck

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike stops when you want it to. What more is it supposed to do?

The rotors warp easily and drag on the caliper/pads

If the rotors didn't warp they would be great. I would say that they are certainly powerful enough, modulation is good, I think it gets better as the years go by and they break in more and more. They have never failed me. They are older and newer stuff like Codes and XT's obviously outperform the Hayes 9, but for how long they lasted me with only a warped set of rotors which is easily replaced I think they're pretty good. No need to replace them until they fail you, which in my experience isn't likely.

Hayes mechanical (not so good) Shimano XT (Excellent)

[Oct 05, 2011]
Nasty610

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty good power and decent modulation

They are bit on/off when under heavy braking load

For years these brakes were the standard in downhill and freeride. I don't understand how. They are decent brakes but lack true stopping power and modulation. I took these off my wifes bike because she complained they pulsed and release while going downhill. I didn't believe her but once they were on my bike they did the same thing. I've gotten use to them but they don't have the power of my Magura Julies or my Shimano LX's. I would only recommend these if they were on a very discounted sale or were on the bike when I got it. Either way I would replace them with a set of Julies once I got the $90/wheel jensonusa.com wants for them. The fact that these brakes routinely go for 100-150 per wheel baffles me. These brakes haven't failed me yet but I wouldn't feel confident taking them to a downhill run.

Shimano LX, Hayes Mechanical, Sram Code, Magura Julie

[Aug 12, 2011]
intenseuzzi

Strength:

poor heat disapation, break easy.

While coming down a mountain trail I laid down my bike at around 2mph in a very tight switch back the crash was certainly nothing to write home about. When I got up and tried to proceed down the single track I noticed that I had lost all power in the front brake. Further inspection reveled that the small plastic bleed stopper had somehow disappeared in the crash. I checked the lever and there was no damage but yet the master cylinder was leaking profusely on the ground. I still can’t figure out how the brake bleed plug fell out it is beyond me how it could have come out but none the less there I was with hydraulic fluid running all over the ground!

Ok. . I thought I can get the part and replace it, rebleed the brake and the brakes will be back in working order again. WRONG!!!!! the brakes are damn near impossible to bleed clean of air unless you buy the Hayes special bleed kit!!!! That in and of it’s self was enough to scrap the brakes!
So I buy the bleed kit and insert the bleed adapter into the rubber bleed hole and bleed the brakes as directed in the instructions. After I was finished I went to pull out the bleed adapter and wouldn’t you know it the adapter tears out the rubber part that it inserts into!!!!!! So now their is no way to seal up the hydraulic fluid!!!!! FU#%!!!!!

Can you say pissed as Hell!!!! What a piece of SH##.
NICE ONE HAYES YOU LOST A COSTUMER FOR LIFE WITH YOUR CHEEP SH*$. I have vowed to never buy another Hayes brake in my life!!!
The reason I gave these brakes only one star was because they look like brakes! Don’t waist your money!!!!

Hope, Magura

[Jul 28, 2011]
Bungholio

OVERALL
Strength:

They have slowed my bike down for a couple of years. As with most disc brake systems they work relatively well in wet or muddy conditions.

They constantly are rubbing and squeaking and need re-adjustment. As of lately my rear brake line has leaked, was repaired and bled and then needed bleeding again after a week, and now needs it again. I bought the Hayes Pro bleed kit thinking that it would be more economical since this is turning into a chronic problem, but the process seemed very complicated and the included directions were unclear and the illustrations a joke that made it more like a guessing game. I returned the kit for a refund and will be looking at new brakes. Maybe other brands are just as hard to do maintenance on, but I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and these are a PIA. I have had it with Hayes!

I wouldn't recommend these brakes. After trying to mitigate the problems with another Hayes product, their bleed kit, I think I'm just about done with them.

Avid cable disc (forget the model), V-brakes

[Jun 05, 2011]
Twisted1

OVERALL
Strength:

Stopping power, looks, big rotors, no maintenance

Hard to fill/bleed, no settings

Great bang for your buck brake! The only "pita" is when you go to change fluid or bleed them. The knob on the caliper is actually where you fill it, and the plug at the top on the levers is the bleed hole. I changed my fluid in mine today and took me about 5 mins to do the job.
It makes me sick to read bad reviews on great products that people do on this site. Most people writing bad reviews are kids or really don't know how to use the product so things go bad.

Bottom line..... Buy them and ride them for years and be worry free!

[Sep 06, 2010]
sportsdude94

OVERALL
Strength:

consitant, power in all weather, pads and rotors wear slowly

very grabby, and heavy rotor

if you like speed these brakes are for u....but when u first get them, be carful and get use to the sencitivity of the brakes

[Jul 21, 2010]
Miki

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong braking. Good in wet. Easy to adjust and set up.

None?yet.
Bit of squeal with new pads. Kink in rear hose.

Had these on my "Downhill" bike and was pretty happy with them. Came up on the second hand market with 160mm rotors so bought them for my XC bike. Great stopping power and pretty lightweight. Takes a few rides to get them dialled in. Probably much better for xc/ all mountain riding with a good set of rotors.

Hope mini, Giant MPH

[Jun 21, 2010]
BIGHaroHucker

OVERALL
Strength:

Good brakes for a very long time. I just upgraded to Hayes Stroker Aces, but these were strong and worked great for a very long time for me.

Lever pops out if you wreck wrong and you have to replace the washer in the master cylinder/lever housing.

These were great brakes for a long time. Only had the handle come out once, during a hard wreck. I had wrecked plenty of other times and not had issue, so I would say that this was a "freak accident". They were strong and reliable, good modulation. There are better brakes out there now, but I am going to give them a 5/5 because they are very good for the price. Usually you can find good deals on them used.

Hayes Sole, Hayes Stroker Ace

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.