Hayes El Camino Disc Brake System

Hayes El Camino Hydraulic disc brakes are the latest in Disc technology. Hayes Phenolic pistons ensure maximum retraction. Designed with a concealed fluid reservoir for a light sleek look. Tool free lever reach adjustment, Mono-Block caliper. Power ad

[Aug 05, 2013]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks the dogs ....

Doesn't work as well as it looks. Had nines before and was hoping for simular reliablity.

At first fine. Looked good and worked well. 2-4 months later front locks. 12 months later rear locks and piston rod comes away from piston. Serviced front and brake failed again. The power adjustment doesnt work. I lost the rubber adjustment wheel for reach on first ride. Allen key works. Overall not so good. Can't even sell them due to poor reputation.

[Apr 10, 2011]
www

OVERALL
Strength:

looks great was smooth in beginning

spongey

it looks great just works not to well i have a great setup n it works better with the hope brakes. ajustment is really losey no like rate it 1.5 out of 5

shimano, hope, forumla

[Aug 01, 2010]
creekchubb

OVERALL
Strength:

work great. quiet, dont get brake fade. bleeding is a breeze

none so far

This is not a downhill brake. for cross country these work great. they are quiet, have great power, and modulation.

[Dec 28, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

They look good stopping power was very good in the first months .

This is a very pour quality product from hayes .I was disappointed ,the levers had a big play ,the a ajustments were horible .There was a constatnt squeak stopping power was pour.Brake pads are like bottle tops.

awful brakes .I recommend magura,avid elixir

Avid bb 7

[Oct 25, 2009]
Betarad

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively good modulation & stopping power when not hot.

Loss of stopping power when hot, lever adjusting screw constantly self-adjusts, noisy when wet (or hot).

I've had these on my bike for 2 years, and like some reviewers below, I've experienced all of the weaknesses mentioned. The constantly changing position of the lever adjusting screw on long, bumpy descents is the most annoying. I too tried loctite with limited success. I also got used to re-adjusting the screw on the fly between bumpy sections.

Then there's the fading when hot issue. Not real confidence inspiring. And the shrieking that comes with heat or muddy conditions is equally annoying.

All in all, these brakes are awful for those who ride hard and regularly. I was a Hayes fan until the El Camino experience.

On a side note, I just replaced them with Magura Marta sl's.......Holy crap, what a difference! Now there's some quality German engineering.

Hayes 9

[Oct 18, 2009]
rarroyo

OVERALL
Strength:

Modulation, Power, Style, Weight, Adjustability.

levers...too long for my taste.

Have been running these brakes for two years with minimal issues, craftmanship is superb, power is great I ride fast and come in at 210 lb. Not made anymore so you would have to get a use set, well worth it. Find good deals on them.

Like any brake system you have to setup them up properly.

Juicy 7, Juicy Ultimate

[Aug 03, 2009]
John Reeves

OVERALL
Strength:

One in a thousand pairs works for some rider out there!

Going down a long steep hill using the brakes will heat them up so much that the lever becomes all mushy and sinks to the grips - even when screws are all the way in. Makes for a scary downhill when your brakes fail.
These brakes never stop squealing either.

Never buy these brakes. You will be nothing but dissapointed. I will spend a little extra next time and buy something that is tried and true (not to mention consistent all of the time). I am going to replace these brakes as soon as I can. I was going to give them to my brother but they are not even worth that. I would feel as though I just gave someone a sack of crap with potentially worse consequences.

Hayes Nine - love them! Juicys

[Jul 20, 2009]
4allday

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good modulation

Lever adjustment bolt backs out during bumpy DH sections. This causes the levers to come back all the way to the grips sometimes and can also get in the way of a trigger shifter.

These came on a used bike that had XTR rapid rise shifters. I mention the shifters b/c if you ride with shifters that have a trigger, this may be a problem. The El Camino's lever adjustment bolt chronically backs out, and this is my primary complaint. It is enough of a problem to give them a bad review, IMHO. When going down extended technical downhills, the damn thing comes out so much that it causes the lever to come back all the way to the grips. Also, this gets in the way of your shifters if you have triggers. Not a problem with the SRAM thumb levers. Blue & red loc-tite both failed easily. Straight-up super glue has worked the best, but still fails after a couple rides. I've gotten in the habit of adjusting them on-the-fly every chance I get so that when I get to a DH section, hopefully they don't back out so much that it hits my grips. Both the Hayes Mag's and Hayes 9's work much better. Too bad i already sold my 9's to a friend, otherwise I'd swap them in a heart beat. It really sucks going down a long stretch of super bumpy stuff and feeling that brake lever slowly getting softer and softer and softer, hoping that it doesn't get all the way to the end before the hill ends.

Hayes Mag, Hayes 9

[May 12, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power. I am around 180 lbs and have never had any of the problems everyone is speaking of. The El Camino offer alot of power and lock up tight, very responsive. The have power, have never failed, they will occasionally squeal, but a quick easy adjustment/modulation is all that is needed. You have to dial these brakes in and once you find the sweet spot everything works flawless. Very smooth stopping.

Occasional squealing, bleeding brakes takes some time.

Good solid braking. Good looks. I ride XC and these work excellent...just dial them in and your fine.

Hayes Mags..Juicy's, Avid

[Feb 18, 2009]
RyDog67

OVERALL
Strength:

Not Sure Yet!

Not Sure Yet!

After reading some of these reviews I am kinda scared to see what happens. I am 6'2" 280lbs and still ride somewhat as when I was 230lbs. I purchased the 8" in hope of more stopping power. I am waiting on the adaptors to convert the 6" to 8" rotors. I will give my feedback after the first ride. I can see that the lever adjustment might be a problem as the little rubber end that allows you to turn the screw adjustment already fell off before I have yet to install them. These are brand new and purchased from Price Point! Hope I am able to stop so I can give my next review!

Hayes HFX 9

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.