Formula Oro Puro Disc Brake System

ll the hype and all the performance, the Oro Puro sets the bar for power to weight ratio for MTB Disc Brakes. Weighing in at 346g, the Puro is spec'd with titanium and ergal fasteners, carbon fiber lever blade, and a Kevlar braided hose.

[May 28, 2012]
Matt Judge

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, weight, modulation, stopping power

I have two sets of these, the one set I bought new in 2005 and the other set is from 2007, which I bought new from Formula's website last year to replace a set of Hope Mini Pro's. Compared to the Hope Mini Pro, these are about 20g heavier when used with titanium mounting bolts and the Formula lightweight rotors. The Formula's also stop a damn site better than the Mini Pro's and are easier to maintain. Modulation is excellent. I have used these for XC and road and I have never experienced any fade - even on the steepest descents.

Hope M4, Hope Mini Pro, Hope C2, (various V-Brake systems)

[Jun 15, 2011]
Matt J

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power - actually, phenomenal stopping power for their size.

None that I have discovered.

I am 6'3" and 17 stone and these brakes have never let me down.

If the rotors were as light as the Hope Mono Mini Pro 160mm rotor, 64g, then these would be lighter than the Mini Pros. Unlike the Mini Pro, these stop you on a dime and never let you down.

I like my first set so much, I ditched my Pro's and bought a second set.

Hope Mono Mini Pro, Hope M4, Hope C2

[Feb 12, 2011]
tefloncat

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong,good,modulation,light

A few "cheap" plastic parts for a brake of this petigree

The smoothest modulating, strongest stopping brakes I've owned or tried Amen-Easy to rebuild if you need to (check out Universal Cycles) after 5 yrs they perform as well as day 1, you say that about to many products.In 5 yrs bled once changed pads twice and I ride 2-3 day/week MTB and 2-3 day/week road. One of those iconic parts like Chris King hubs/headset, XTR cassette, Thompson Seatpost.

Hayes,Avid,Hope,XTR

[Apr 25, 2010]
crux

OVERALL
Strength:

Worked well on initial install and for a few seasons.

Longevity and price

If you are after a lightweight set of brakes then these will fit the bill. They will work well assuming that all the internals and components are new.

Long term durability is not up to par with the price point. The MC seals will wear out over time and the brake pad retaining bolt is made out of light weight alloy that will wither snap or gail upon removal. Finding a replacement is a costly proposal. Ended up fabricating a replacement pin out of stainless that is more secure than original.

If your are buying these brakes brand new cheap then you will do alright. One pointer I would give is on applying some anti seize on the brake pad retaining bolt prior to use.

My yardstick is that any component must last 5 years with out failure (assuming standard maintenance is done). These required significant attention after 3 years.

Magura, Hope, Hayes, Shimano

[Aug 23, 2009]
dr
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Theyre ultra light for the power they have. The feel is solid with a good bleed.

They dont have the best modulation. They arent green.

expensive as and as good as cocaine, but if you like heroin, get "the ones" for downhill.

avid juicy

[Jun 11, 2009]
Surfas

OVERALL
Strength:

power
modulation
never tire
service and parts
weight

Only the master cylinder piston, I had to change from both lever, but nothing more.

I have these brakes since January 2007 and the only problem that I had was changing the master cylinder piston from both levers, and I perform the procedure at home.
But so far they are the the best brakes, and I'm considering trading for R1 but I'm thinking if I do well changing.

Shimano XTR and old Deore

[May 26, 2009]
TwoWheelMan

OVERALL
Strength:

light and work great

service and parts availability

I bought these second hand on mtbr. I had to bleed and replace a line, and all has been great since. Good deal. I'm running 160mm rotors front and rear.

Function is superb. The modulation and stopping power of the Oro's are great. No squeal provided proper alignment and installation, at least on my frame and fox fork. I've run both sintered and organic pads.

The only downside I can see is the availability of parts and in cases lacklustre bike shop service. In Canada and Australia, at least, you won't find parts in stock (pads etc) and many shops have never seen, let alone sold, Formulas. This bit me in the ass once on a trip, when needing service and parts after a crash. Avid and Shimano are plentiful, not so Formula. So, bring your own bits and do your own service!

Hayes, Avid

[Jun 17, 2008]
arrowem

OVERALL
Strength:

Works Perfect. Easy setup, Just bolt and go. No fade even on big down hills and one finger effort.

tough to find. Price but you pay for quality.

If you can afford them then you will never complain about not being able to stop easily

XTR v brakes

[Jul 09, 2007]
Mark Brenna

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, smooth, great feel, powerful, BLING BLING!

The cost was a bit much to swallow but form and function are all there. I had the Juicy seven carbons on the Racer-X and moved them to my Rocky Mountain Blizzard when I bought these. The Juicy's are nice but don't hold a candle to these babies! Nicest feeling and most powerful brakes you will ever use in the function category and the Kevlar braided cables are seriously cool looking in the form category. If you want the best, buy the Formula Oro Puro's.

Avid Juicy Seven Carbon

[Feb 12, 2007]
Daniel

OVERALL
Strength:

Modulation, Power, Weight, Tuneable

Price

These are the best brakes I have ever used. They are powerful, have a great feel to them, and are light.

Shimano XT, Avid Juicy Sevens, Mugura Marta SLs