DiaTech Spiral Stop Disc Brake Disc Brake System

• System: Spiral screw with high power ration
  • Control: Cable compatible with canti-brake lever
  • Caliper: Spiral screw with floating support CNC machined alluminum alloy, weight 176 gr.

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 04, 2019]
    nwvlvtnr

OVERALL
    Strength:

I realize it’s 2019 and these are barely a footnote in the lore of mountain bikings glorious disc break brake revolution that lifted the masses from darkness so long ago. However these are as far as I can find the only ever application of a floating caliper bicycle disc brake and as such worth a little attention. My brake came stock on my 2000 Haro Extreme EX 1 that I recently purchased for $35. I was expecting the brake to barely function like nearly all non Avid BB mechs from the era but was pleasantly surprised by its performance. I never felt unsafe and the lever required about the same effort to engage as cantilever (centerpull) brake. Mine had a few miles on it before I ever took it for a ride so bedding and initial wear in had been accomplished long ago, on long decents it never faded or locked up and the stoping power felt proportional and predictable. I would never by choice spec this on a mountain bike but may keep it around for a comuter or city bike just for the novelty, it would be well suited to that role. Hell 20 years latter you can still buy brake pads for these on eBay. When judged by its vintage I would say these really aren’t so bad, however Haro could have no doubt speced a brand name v brake front and rear for less money and more stopping power. Disclaimer: I’m a rim brake devotee.

As a floating caliper it rattles a little when not in use especially on rough surfaces at speed and there is nearly always some noise made by the brake pads rubbing the rotor, as both of these are inherent to the design I’m assuming this is why floating calipers were an evolutionary dead end.

Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    2000
    [Feb 16, 2003]
    Max Rentz

OVERALL
    Strength:

Last a long time. Probably 1000 landings...only replaced the pads once, and they were not worn out.

It was tough making the brackets to mount the rotor and the caliper mount.

I use my Diatechs on a 600-pound (gross) ultralight aircraft. They have great holding power, and have never failed me. I can't believe how long the pads last. They squeal just a bit, but you can hardly hear it over the noisy engine and prop.

[Apr 22, 2003]
    Noah

OVERALL
    Strength:

none. absolute crap.

everything

Stay away if you value your life. There is nothing like the feeling of no braking power while going down a hill. Or worse than that, locking on and flipping you over onto your face. STAY AWAY FROM THESE IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!

hayes, formula, rim-based

[Sep 10, 2006]
    tahn VonRehmer

OVERALL
    Strength:

fairly good stopping power

cast aluminum, has air bubbles, breaks easy, made in taiwan!

wouldn't recommend 2 agressive riders, buy maguras or formulas from italy

hope mono minis

[Oct 15, 2002]
    scragg

OVERALL
    Strength:

stop very well and a good price.

squieks like there was not end.

they work well but the squiek drives u crazy but if u want a low priced disc brake i would sugest these.

[Sep 02, 2001]
    pat

OVERALL

just came back from killington ski resort,hate to say it but my diatechs are hurtin,a few hours of downhill fun cooked the roters.they sure dont stop like they use to either,I changed the pads, cleaned em up with alcahol, all the usual stuff,but they just dont want to bite anymore.a friend that went with me rented a bike at the mountain.the rentals all have avid mechanical disc brakes.I tried his rental out and was blown away at how much bite the avids have.he rode all day on those avids with no problems.my diatechs were great for all the xc riding i do.......but downhill stuff just killed em....

avids mechanical

[Oct 15, 2002]
    Shaun
    Downhiller

OVERALL
    Strength:

what? Strengths? Nope none.

well, they squeak for about an hour then stop for 6 seconds then squeak. The return springs brake easily. the pads wear easily. And, they just dont stop that great.

the brakes that i got cames with my bike. i dont know if i got a faulty pair or not but a lot of people like them. im not one of them. I would recomment them for a beginner who needs disc brakes but dosent have the beans for hydros.

cantivilear brakes are just as good

[Aug 02, 2001]
    Matthew Armstrong

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ease of operation -
    Stopping power (I weigh 230)
    Nice modulation

Sticking problem (taken care of with new calipers)
    Needs to be set up with new levers (my was set up with Avid 1.9's) Does not provide enough pull.
    Need a conversion or adaptor kit to mount on Manitou forks

Like many, I was unfortunate enough to have the recalled calipers and had the sticking problem that was so often occuring. I called Diatech and talked to Eric Schreiber and he quickly took care of my problem - the customer service on this was un-paralleled by anybody in the industry. I have two brand new ones on the way. Other than the sticking problem I had the brakes worked very well for the type of riding I do.

V-brake's

[Aug 02, 2001]
    Matthew Armstrong

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ease of operation -
    Stopping power (I weigh 230)
    Nice modulation

Sticking problem (taken care of with new calipers)
    Need a conversion or adaptor kit to mount on Manitou forks

V-brake's

[Jul 15, 2001]
    alex G

OVERALL
    Strength:

good dry power
    funky levers

THEY SQQQQQQQQQUEEK BAD!!!
    disc's warp real easy
    toooooo much drag
    they lock up under hard braking

if they come with the bike then upgrade them to either hope or hayes.these are for riders who just want discs to keep out of harms way, or their rims are as bent as Brian from Big Brother.

other than that avoid at all costs, evan stx-rc v's are better!

most v's, cantilevers, hope mini's

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.