Avid Juicy Three Disc Brake System

The tasty looks and comfy feel of the super-light lever. Avid Juicy 3 Disc Brake so good at so many things that it's hard to even put in a category like cross country or all mountain.

[Feb 05, 2019]
arficus

OVERALL
Strength:

These may not be the finest hydro disc brakes, but almost all of the complaints I've read here are a result of user incompetence and/or ignorance.

Brake Squeal: Any mechanic knows the primary issues related to this are condition of pads and rotors, and type of pad material, NOT the caliper. Squishy or excessive lever motion: There is this term frequently bandied about - "bleeding the brakes" - that's what these people need to do, plain and simple. It's called bike maintenance. Poor grip/stopping power: I weigh 210LB and live in the PNW where there are plenty of steeps and these can stop me on a dime, anytime. And these brakes are 9 years old! If someone is experiencing poor stopping they need to check the above mentioned issues. Of course calipers do need to be rebuilt occasionally and can wear out to the point where they are no longer rebuildable, but poor stopping power is most frequently a result of above issues, and certainly not a design flaw of these brakes. Sticking piston: Your caliper got some contamination in it - it simply needs to be rebuilt (as all calipers do occasionally), duh! The finest brakes in the world will all develop all of the above mentioned symptoms over time.

They're old, and they have been for a while - if you get some they'll likely need to be bled and might need a rebuild.

Price Paid:
2010
[Nov 08, 2018]
tanner331lotito

OVERALL
Strength:

they stop the bike if set up correctly (using 200mm rotors). possible to "burp bleed"

pistons sticky, tool reach adjustment is hard to access, not much info on the web but its there if you look very hard. extremely noise.

Price Paid:
on bike for $800
Purchased:
Used
[Aug 14, 2015]
julian
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Better than cable discs I guess.

Weak brakes no power.

These came on my bike, they're a few years old. I'm running them with 203mm rotors. There is no bite and the levers will happily go back to the bars. I've changed pads, cleaned the rotors, bled them and they are set up and centred correctly. They are by far the worst hydraulic brakes I've ever owned.

hope, avid elixir, formula

[Aug 05, 2015]
RockShoxSektor

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Reliable
Simplicity
Lever feel
Pad life

Average stopping power
Screached when braking
"Warbled" when riding at high speeds

The good:
Well they're hydraulic at least. Lever had a good feel to it with solid feedback. I had them on my bike for about a year and never bled them. Pad life was exceptional as well.

The bad:
High speeds caused the entire bike to vibrate and produced a terrible "warble" noise.
I spent hours attempting to adjust the brakes. They would just go back to "warbling." This was mostly because of the terrible caliper design. The pistons never fully reset like they should.
Stopping power was average. I never had a problem with it, but that's because I was riding mostly aggressive XC. Downhill guys should look elsewhere.
The calipers screached when braking. Horrendous noise that would scatter any wildlife within a quarter mile.

I did not attempt to throw any money into trouble shooting these guys. I sold the set and upgraded all together.
They'll stop your bike, but they aren't the best at doing it. It appears the guys that "really" enjoy the brakes are the ones that have them on their stock rig. No one buys Juicy's and has anything good to say about them.

Bottom line, look elsewhere.

[Mar 24, 2014]
Michael

Strength:

Not reliable, loud, make a lot of vibration

I got these brakes on my Santa Cruz blur lt back when I bought the bike. From the start I had problems with them. They were always rubbing and we're getting really warm fast. Now the rubbing problem is better but they still get warm fast and now they are loud as can be. And the stoping power just gets worst and worst every ride. Just weak and poor all around. I have been told that I should upgrade to Shimano XT or SLX brakes and I'm going to and hopefully it will be soon.

[Jul 11, 2013]
Brandon Woods
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power, easy to maintain, and great price.

None so far...

It's funny how many poor reviews are given by people that obviously have no clue how to fix their own brakes. These are super easy maintain, and work excellent wet or dry. (Easily will flip you over the handlebars if you slam on them!) These bad boys came pre-installed on my 2011 Trek Xcalibur, and they are still going strong! I've had to bleed them once, due to a snagged line that caught on an obstacle, and tore it off, but with the avid brake bleeding kit, this was a simple job for one person to do. Took me approx. 15 mins, and I've never done it before. Technical people will find it easy to follow the directions and have this done in no time. Other than that, amazing stopping power even after 600+ miles on the bike through all types of mud and streams, etc... I would definitely recommend these to anyone wanting to get into disk brakes at a good price level. Yes there are better systems out there, but not even close to this price range.

I have not used other systems, as they are very expensive, and these still work great, so I have no reason to upgrade yet....

[Jul 04, 2013]
Bill

OVERALL
Strength:

see below:

see below:

I've used these on my bike for almost 2 years. The only problem I've had is that they occasionally chatter/growl. A new set of pads ($15) solves it.

[May 03, 2013]
Lauren4c

OVERALL
Strength:

They worked ok for a year and a half.

These brakes came stock on my Trek Fuel. They worked fine for a while, but recently I have been having problems constantly with them: I have to frequently realign the brake pads on the front rotor - they rub and squeal a lot. And my rear brake just took a crap. It's been bled multiple times, I replaced the small parts of the lever and it can still be pulled all the way to the bars. No idea what's wrong with it and they are getting replaced ASAP. They worked ok for me for about a year and a half, but they just aren't reliable and are turning into a headache. I give up on these.

There are better brakes out there, I just know it.

[Apr 13, 2013]
briangelc

OVERALL
Strength:

Good when they are working correctly

SQUEAK! they make my bike unrideable. no lever reach adjustment

I struggled with these for years. squeak. They came with my new GiantXTC in 2010. squeak. They caused so much vibration, that Giant replaced the bike frame with a new 2012 XTC frame. They squeaked less on cross country trails. But when I went to the moutains they Howled, and sqeaked mercelessly all the way down the mountain, especially when using lightwieght rotors. I was told for years to get Shimano XT disc brakes to solve the problem. I finally did. I wish I had done it years ago. I do not understand why Juicy3s make so much noise and vibration, and Shimano XTs do not.

Avid BB7 - love those
Shimano XT hydraulic disc brakes - AWESOME

[Feb 04, 2013]
Morals

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice pop, look sharp, reliable

I love these brakes, personally. That's because I have had good luck with mine. They trump the balls off the Craplixir 5's I just replaced.

Get the latest mountain bike reviews, news, race results, and much more by sigining up for the MTBR Newsletter

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.