Avid Juicy Five Disc Brake System

The Five is a slightly scaled down brother to the Juicy Seven(tm). But even without Pad Contact Point Adjustment, the Five is still head and shoulders above any of the other hydros because of the Avid® blood that runs in the whole Juicy family.

Read the Pro Review on the Avid Juicy Five Here>>

[Apr 10, 2017]
fazeless
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

- Ergonomic levers
- Powerful braking in wet conditions
- Easy to bleed
- Great overall

None actually.

I have these brakes on my freeride bike and they work well with 180mm rotors. They're quite easy to bleed, so anyone can do it themselves. They have powerful braking in both wet and dry conditions, so they're great for all-weather riding. Would highly recommend for anyone.

[Apr 13, 2014]
Foz

OVERALL
Strength:

I run these on my downhill bike,i dont know what all the negative coms are about,mated with 203mm rotors they are dead quiet,always stop me where ever needed in any conditions (im 103kg 6'2" tall,ride a 18kg downhill bike),sure,they arent the most attractive on market but they do,and have always done there job well.
Chewing pads out fast prob = pad rotor combo, noisy braking usually = steel (hard) pad compounds.
I cant fault them given how hard they are used and abused for the cost of them

besides a few adjustment issues or lack of,none realy. cosmetics maybe......

im big,heavy,ride dh n freeride fairly hard and they have NEVER let me down so from me,love em!

[Feb 28, 2013]
kersh13

OVERALL
Strength:

I have had my Juicy 5s for about 5 years now. They have been fairly maintenance free and still work just as well as they did the day I bought them. They're really easy to bleed.

Not enough power or adjustment.

Overall, these brakes have served me well for the time that I have had them. I upgraded the hoses that came on them and have bled them a few times and changed the pads. I've never had any serious issues with them other than a little air getting in the lines once a few years ago.

Avid Elixir 5, Avid Elixir CR

[Dec 09, 2012]
BG

OVERALL
Strength:

They stop fantastically...once, they won't release.

Can't adjust.

Had these on a bike I bought, and have been a pain in the ass the whole time. They bite and won't let go. i've had them serviced and week later, the same thing. Climbing hills is hard enough without the brake permanately on!

Might as well use my foot. Pathetic.

Dero mechainal.

[Sep 13, 2012]
Doug

OVERALL
Strength:

Nothing really spectacular.

I've had issues with these brakes for as long as I've had them. For starters, they're a pain to align. They also are very spongy. As others have noted they need to be bled frequently. They are also a huge pain to bleed. I'm looking for a replacement set after messing with these for way too long.

1 chili on the overall rating for all the problems I've had, and 1 chili because no matter how cheap you get them they aren't worth spending any money on.

[Jan 30, 2012]
grant191

OVERALL
Strength:

great mid level brake set, good starter set to get into the hydro world. stop on a dime and require little maintenance

they "growl like a turkey" when new, but found after broke in. to re adjust the calipers and I clean the rotors after every ride with rubbing alcohol and they remain quiet

good set of brakes even though there are newer models available

[Dec 11, 2011]
norcorider95
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

urm, not really that many, its okay i guess, very average, nothing special, i suppose it has good modulation. cheap too, also replacement parts are easy to find.

pads wore down quickly, cheap hose came stock, leaver moves up and down, hard and complicated to bleed, no leaver adjustments, doesnt look that great, need bleeding a lot, spongy. Pistons and seals broke on mine.

Average, if its in a sale then go for it buy it, but be prepared to spend a lot on it, pads need replacing about once per month, need bleeding about once every 2 months because they get spongy quickly.
Might be worth getting an elixir 5 or something, maybe more pricey but in the end will work out cheaper.

elixir 3, shimano deore m575.

[Oct 31, 2011]
GR

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Stopping Power when wet.

Brake Drag that keeps reoccuring.

Brake drag on rear brake since bike was new. After a year of working trying to fix it the bike shop got Avid to replace both brakes. Started dragging again a month later. Then it stopped for a year of commuting including including in foul weather. Started dragging again, had tune, still dragging. If you get a used bike with these brakes, spin the wheel and see if there is any drag, if so I would not buy, there is no long lasting fix. I will not buy another bike with Avid brakes

the First set of Juicy 5 later replaced free of charge by AVID.

[Sep 23, 2011]
Darryl

OVERALL
Strength:

This brake works in any conditions! It always brakes! These hydraulic brakes are awesome at what they do. I always stop!

A bit noisy when braking hard but that doesn't matter if they are doing their job.

If you want to stop then these brakes work! They have always done the job very well! I love these economical and tried and true brakes!

[Aug 08, 2011]
Trails-of-Fire

OVERALL
Strength:

Good breaking power. Quiet- even when wet. Never have problems with dragging like some users describe happening. Okay my back does in one spot due to my bent rotor which was my fault. Two piece clamp allows removal with removing grips.

There are better, and more expensive, hydro brakes out there on the market.

Look, you can go really expensive on hydro disk brakes and you can also go really cheap. However the Juicy 5's are middle-of-the-road brakes. Don't be fooled by negative posts. There you have it.