Tekro RBP V-brakes Brake System

Tekro RBP V-brakes

[Nov 22, 2010]
madchops67

OVERALL
Strength:

absolutely powerful

alignment

good brakes i have a 08 giant rincon with disc brakes and there v brakes stop just as good as the disc! dont think they be good for wet conditions but over all GOOD!

[Jul 13, 2003]
Dave Janovetz

OVERALL
Strength:

none they blow

they dont stop, they wont even lock up if your going more than 10 mph. they need way too much adjustment

they suck, dont buy them and if they r on ur bike get new ones fast.

avids and xt's

[Dec 09, 2001]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall build

They keep going out of adjustment,must have weak springs, this is very annoying and causes rubbing on the rims

They don`t compare very favourably with other v brakes I have used and seeing as its me who has to keep adjusting them it won`t be long before they are scrapped.
They may be cheap but I would prefer to pay a bit more and get a better quality brake, thumbs down for Tektro for the brakes and Kona for penny pinching,

Shimano Deore, Avid 2.0

[Feb 21, 2006]
sempai

OVERALL
Strength:

cover those nasty v-brake bosses
they're black so no one notices your crappy OEM gear

screws strip
nonexistent stopping power
impossible adjustment
cables slip
terrible build quality

The Tektro 4 brakes came with my Rockhopper, which is a mystery because the bike also came with Shimano levers--I figure the money could have been better spent by Specialized.

They didn't as much STOP the bike as slow it down, and. I tried to adjust them several times, this resulted in the screws stripping to the point I couldn't reposition the brake pads or adjust the spring rate of the calipers. I even tried to remove them completely to realign them--this turned out to be a bad idea since what was left of the intact screws also stripped. Are they made of lead? I've never seen metal so soft.

You can get them for seven bucks each at JensonUSA. The next brake is 20 bucks each.

That should be some indication of the quality of this product.

[Jan 31, 2002]
Jon

OVERALL
Strength:

um.....

They dont shed mud at all, they are so loose after 2 years and there's no way of fixing them and still keeping the breaking power that I want. The tektro pads stay wet for about 2 weeks after riding in mud/rain/puddles. When jumphin they move so much and make a lot of noise. I though it was my fork but it was these pieces of crap

I'm now upgrading to Shimano XT V-Brakes. Hopefully they'll gove me what I need. :-)

LX XT

[Feb 17, 2003]
Dood

OVERALL
Strength:

good braking power for a v-brake and they don't squeek.

week springs the brakes constantly need adjustment. And I meen constant adjustment to keep them calibrated so that both pads hit the rim at the same time.

thay work good exept needing constant ajustment. Or you can just let them rub on the rim.

[Apr 23, 2004]
Freeridin Fool

OVERALL
Strength:

Cover up those pointy brake bosses. Give you the illusion that you have a complete bike.

Give you the illusion that you have a complete bike. Flexy, unbalanceable, no stopping power, etc...

I stop quicker and feel safer draggin my feet to stop. Great for going UP hills - IF you don't plan on riding back down. Also would be good for a shop decoration, if you smashed with a steel mallet first.

canti-brakes, dragging feet on ground.

[May 09, 2006]
Josiah

OVERALL
Strength:

they stop but not very well

don't stop well, all out of wack

This brake isn't very nice in my opinion, 'course i don't even know if this is the right product (giant doesn't say what brake it is this is just most likely) but i use em cuz i don't have the money to buy know ones and i need a new bike anyway so... recommend discs.

[Mar 17, 1998]
JUSTIN NGUYEN
downhiller

OVERALL

I RIDE TRIALS AND DS/DH .I HAD XT Vs BUT THOSE LOOSEN UP AT THE LINKS,SO I GOT THESE COOL ANODIZED RED TEKTROS,THEY WORK BETTER THAN THOSE FLIMSY XT V BRAKES.I GO OFF 8'' DROP OFFS AND LAND ON MY REAR WHEEL,THEY DONT EVEN SLIP!!!!!!
THESE ARE THE BEST DEAL ON V BRAKES AROUND!

[Jul 16, 1997]
Scott Weiss
racer

OVERALL

I got a set as a quick fix when my XT's snagged a branch and broke. These brakes SUCK. Terrible adjustment, bad tension, VERY heavy, bad cable anchor and only fair stopping power. I could have used that $20 to buy a shirt or something instead of these cheap brakes. That's exactly what they are, CHEAP. pay the extra $10 and get some LX V's. For God's sake, one set of Tektro's alone weigh more than my rear hub! If I could rate Zero stars, I would.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.