Onza Brake Brake System

Onza

[Apr 07, 2017]
Aurelio corso

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to adjust and I have been using them for 20 years.Great stopping power and they look great.I bought the TI bolts for it

Can crack if you over tighten

Great breaks that don't go out of style

[Mar 22, 2007]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to adjust. Cool Retro.

They break! My rear wheel seized up this morning because a fracture had loosened the brake and it spun against the rim. Upon closer inspection one of the front brake arms also has a similar fracture, which means it is about to break. OK. Maybe I overtightened a year ago when I installed them, but it would have sucked if the front wheel stopped at 20 mph!

Don't buy them! No one needs to deal with brake failure. Spend the extra money and buy some Pauls.

[Dec 25, 2001]
mike

OVERALL

Like dangerusWoody said ..... they , all four had stress fractures where the pad clamp pinchs the post ..... Tossed them in the can!

[Jun 02, 2006]
Jon Labrousse

OVERALL
Strength:

Confident braking. Easy to adjust.

Easy to break. Be careful not to overtighten your adjustments.

The brakes are awesome for stopping, but they don't hold their position. I'm packing heavy weight (trailer with kids) up and down hills every day to school and errands. They've done a great job. But I'm packing heavy weight at speed down hill and it's not the brake pads wearing down so much as it is the frictional adjustment that gives with use.

So I have to adjust the brakes every week to calm the squealing. And I have to tighten the screws so the pads don't move so much. Right? Wrong. Tighten them and the brackets break. Leave them too loose, they move with pressure and squeal. Bottom line: They failed. (Thankfully, I realized their structural failure during maintenance rather than on the road.) I'm buying something forged instead of machined...

I want to love them, but I can't. They lasted 9 months and could have caused a disaster.

controltech, shimano, avid...

[Apr 04, 1999]
Woody
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

To be honest I cant say that they have any due to the repeted braking of parts.

The bigest problem is a design falt. I can tel you that the spring covers will brake, the bolts will rust but the most deadly thing of all thay will brake around the clamp bolt holes & then you have NO brakes, if you are doing 30 MPH at the time you are definatly in trouble. I was luky not even a scratch. I am an exrace mechaninc among other things & I tel you all now DO NOT buy them. They are DANGERUS (more dangerus than my spelling). & for those of you that are still using them you better do your self a personal faver & bin them ASAP. Beter safe than sorry. They will brake sooner or later. Play safe. Dont say I never told you.

The most iritating thing about these brake is the amount of noise thay make. I dont mean squeel its more like a stuk pig or a bunch og geese on fire. I could never fix this problem & belive me I did try. these brake are DANGERUS they will literaly just brake. The first sign is srtess cracks around the clamp bolts. No wonder the company went under. Nodout to avoid giong up against the consumer council.

XT, XTR, cants, Vs, Magura, Hope.

[Mar 25, 1998]
Kyle

OVERALL

Finally, the HOLA hits the street. The upgrade to v styling seemed logical and simple. Just take one of the strongest, easiest adjusting brakes ever made the existing Onza brake (designed by Boulder bikes and sold to Onza), stick some long arms in place of the shorties, and voila, your brake is made. When v's first hit, I said why don't they just make an upgrade for all the old Onza's in circulation?
Well, the wait, while unpleasant, was worth it. The extra long arms (about a cm longer than Shimano's!) makes for extreme modulability. Neat-o, too, is the changeable cable, from one arm to the other (all you folks with right side cable guides, like Obeds for example, can change the cable pull side to the right).
While Shimano's are now the easiest brakes to set up, these are much more tunable, including pad distance from brake arm, thanks to regular-style posted pads (unlike the threaded ones that most v-clones use). The pads are included this time (thank you, Cane Creek!), and accept Shimano and Cisco inserts (get the Cisco's if you can. Urethane, long lasting, highest stoppage).
While the original Onza's were super strong, these exceed their abilities, especially in the modulation area.
Cane Creek says that, while an upgrade kit isn't available, they ARE offering a trade in through your local shop. With your old Onza cantilevers, you can get the HOLAs for 40 bucks. Thats not too bad for a $75 brake.
At 215 grams with pads, HOLA's aren't all that light, but neither are they all that heavy. For performance that exceeds the brakes you have right now, a little extra grammage is well worth it.

[Jun 09, 1996]
Shaun Au

OVERALL

I have a pair of Onza H.O. rear brakes. I like them very much just because they are so easy to get adjusted. I don't think they are superior than stock Shimano cantis(xt model, the stuff I used)interms of braking power. That's my opinion. I think they're nicely priced and have a great silver looking.

[Mar 31, 1996]
Jack Kunicki

OVERALL

Hey, I just picked up these brakes and they are really cool! I'm running them with Kool Stop II brakepads and they stop great. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great set of brakes that stop you dead in your tracks and that chicks dig.

[Mar 28, 1996]
Kenny Soza
weekend warrior

OVERALL

What the heck is this Hernandez guy talking about. He is the biggest weight-weenie around. These brakes are just the hottest thing since bikini wax. Just grind it out baby! I find that adjustments are somewhat difficult, however the weight is no problemo.

[Mar 28, 1996]
Oscar Hernandez

OVERALL

These brakes are sweet! Adjustments are a dream with these cantis, toe-in is no problem. They may not be the lightest set on the market for all the weight-weenies but they'll stop you on a dime.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.