Hayes Mag Hydro Disc 8 Brake System

The Hayes hydraulic disc brake utilizes a patented open hydraulic system unlike most other disc brakes that use a closed system. The open system allows the expanding brake fluid to go into a reservoir to eliminate "free running drag".

[Mar 09, 2012]
GTDHI

OVERALL
Strength:

reliable, work well, have not had to fix in 11 years, great lever feel, modulation, lever stiffness

probably not as strong as the new brakes made today in 2012. after my last season (11th year using) they started to squeel a little bit.

So far after using them for 11 years, my Hayes mag 8 inch rotor disc brake set that came on my dh rig have never failed me in any way. I never bled them, never adjusted, never changed pads, never.... they have been durable and reliable for me, even through I have crashed. I am guessing the recent squeel is from me never once cleaning them or doing any maintenance. I don't wash my bike, I ride it and go home, put it away and pull it out when I need it... I have to say my Hayes mag brakes have been great and can recommend them to anyone who can't afford to buy the latest and greatest (which don't have a proven reliability record yet...)

[Aug 24, 2003]
Richard Chin

OVERALL
Strength:

Works most of the time,has some good stopping power,flipflop design,moto cross style levers,works good all round.

Uses regular brake fluid(can srip paint),needs more attension than shimano XT's,brake lines are not strong and flexxy like steal braided lines( broke in the middle of the line on me once, squited fluid and lost braking power),takes a lot of time to get the rotors and pads to align properly and not squeak and rattle,NOT A VERY DURABLE DESIGN,on and off like a light switch power.

The hayes work well,I have tried many and owned about 5 new sets of them,they give me the most problems,but I have seen people with hope disc with more problems than hayes.
They work and simple get's the job done "MOST" of the times when setup right!
They are not as bomb proof and reliable as shimano's XT 4 pistons but parts are always readily available thru mail order,local shops and at race circutes.

I own Shimano XT disc(the best on reliability,durability,modulation and stopping power!),tried hope disc Dh and XC the DH 4 pistons work flawlessly on a downhill and street,Tried hope enduro with 10 inch front and 8 rear on a Brooklyn TMX,unbeweavable power!
ALL OTHERS JUST SUCK!

[Apr 18, 2004]
jeff angell

OVERALL
Strength:

works great even after a creek crossing.they are light years above the regular brakes I had before.

None so far.....other than an install problem when first purchased. line popped off on hard braking!

they are light and work great......sometimes I noticed that under constant downhill braking when they heat up they get alittle noisey. but only a rubbing noise...no sqeaks.

[Mar 03, 2003]
Bolinas Chapman

OVERALL
Strength:

Stops fast. light powerful stopping power

Cable lines splits when frame rubs to much

These are the best brakes out there and will always be the best out there.

hayes mechanicle

[Dec 21, 2003]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Umm, just so you don't think Im a fool, I put $1200 up there because they came with my bike and I put the bike price up there. I like my hayes, they stop great in cold, stormy, wet, dry and dusty conditions, I like them

ummm, whenever I whip a sharp turn I sometimes hear "ching" but thats just the brake caliper rubbing the pad, no big deal, it kinda makes me smile, I'll be like "go faster John, go faster" and then it'll go "ching" and then I'll go ":)"

I liked them, I couldn't stop without them (literally) I tried once. ONCE. Now I have disc and I like them. I almost wasn't sold on the disc's because some that I tried would totally stop with a small squeeze, not even a hard one and I was worried that if I were doing something and had to stop quick and I grabbed the front brake accidently, that I would lock up the front and go over. These are great, I can give them a good hard and long squeeze before they lock up, but it's still short enough to stop on a dime.

heh heh heh, none, I used V-Brakes though, couldn't stop once in the water, scared the crap outta me, I went down on some slick moss too, probably because I was going to fast.

[May 14, 2004]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Build Quality and materials are the best in the business, above Shimano in my opinion.

Bleeding is simple, straightforward, and quick with the bleed kit. There are no pockets internally for air to hide in and all bleeding can be done on the bike in a reasonable manner.

Performance is ideal. One-finger operation is all that is ever needed, even after a full descent. Fade is imperceptable, even when they are hot enough to sizzle some saliva.

Haven't ridden them through water yet, but dry, they are perfectly modulated, a little is a little and a lot is a _LOT_!!! Nose wheelies are more conrollable than ever and rear brake-induced slides are simple intuition.

Availability of line options like banjo fittings and longer lines is appealing to improve installations.

Lines are a little fragile, especially at the fitting on the master cylinder at the bar. I've seen them fold and kink and subsequently break(no pun intended). Minor concern, really. Stay out of the trees and dont crash!

Nice bits that are lightyears ahead of the competition.

Hayes mechanical, Shimano

[Aug 13, 2003]
Zoser

OVERALL
Strength:

Hayes makes bomb proof shizzle, good modulation, stops on a dime, they the shiznit

What you crazy

If you want to haul ass and stop on a dime these brakes r for u!! Great modulation, havent had a problem yet hell after rideing avid and hope I pressed these levers and thought I was going over the bars hence kick ass stopies!!

Avid, Hope

[Feb 24, 2004]
Curtis

OVERALL
Strength:

great modulation, stops on a dime, bulletproof,

Gee let me think.....ummmmmmm...are you kidding?

If you want to go Mach 9 on a bike, you definetly need these brakes. I rode these all year racing DH, and did'nt have to do one thing to them.(including changing the pads.......they were getting pretty worn down though) They will stop you every time, wet, muddy, dusty, snowing, it doesn't matter. These babies rule!!!!! They have great lever feel, look awesome, and most of all..they wo'nt let you down. They're weight is fairly light also, so you can put them on the hole fleet of bikes in the garage. Can't go wrong!!

Shimano

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.