Cannondale Expert Brake System

[Jun 16, 2010]
DHmonkey123
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

good stopping power, light, good looks

when the pads wear out you can't tell if they actually are. not knowing caused metal on metal (metal on rim)and made a big groove in the rim

Don't get these brakes, they wear out too fast

alot...

[Jan 24, 2006]
Bujor Vasile Lucian

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight , good strength whem used on light frames , XC purpose .

Weak with organic pads .

I am sorry for these problems , I realize how lucky I am by having these grait brakes functional ( I only bought one - rear - ) . I use it on Deore XT brake disk and I installed sintered metal calipers . The performace is unprecedent if o compare with cutting edge Hayes Brakes or Magura , besides i find it at a second hand store . No problems yet , even i have them for a month , i am a mad bull on that bike. I weight 90 Kilos but i ride fast and if there is a problem with this brake , by now i should find it ; i ride in winter and muddy conditions , especially below 0 . From 1 to 10 i give them 7.50 .

Hayes MAG XC , Hayes El Camino

[Nov 10, 2001]
Ted

OVERALL
Strength:

I didn't have to buy them. They Came on my bike. So they didn't cost me

I match what James said word for word Plus in addition I have gone through 5 sets of Pads. Ride through just a little sandy mud and be ready to replace the pads in the next 10 miles. I have to adjust the pads at every ride, Alchohol the roaters and clean the brake system with Dawn Detergent. They Creak,Screech,Slip and basically don't work well. Cannondale makes it difficult to change since you have to replace the Hubs and get your wheel rebuilt to change rotors

Cannondale doesn't offer these on their new bikes anymore instead you get Hayes or Magura with a universal hub.

My bike is sweet, My dealer; "Wheels and Fitness" is Great, The service that I have recieved from Jeff the Manager and Cannondale is fantastic! But these brakes Suck!

[Sep 17, 2001]
james cleaver

Strength:

Inconsistent braking power,pads get contaminated too easily,
squealing noises loud enough i feel like i am in the movie deliverance,modulation changes as you are riding,pads will not stay tight.

these brakes came on my jekyll, they had poor breaking power to start but i was told to let them break in. they never really did. since then i have replaced kevlar pads with cintered pads, added brake line attachments to keep the lines from melting, have had to replace a front caliper, replaced a warped rear rotor, and have to set the pad gap on these brakes from ride to ride. I have done everything the cannondale dealer and phone rep has suggested, and they still squeal, suck and don't work consistently enough to race with them. i can not even ride 10 miles without the adjustment going out of wack. I am very patient with bike equipment, and also take very good care of my bikes, but i must say that these brakes are terrible!!!!! even my local cannondale dealer told me to quit wasting my money and get some hayes or magura.Beware of these if you buy a new cannondale, swap em for almost anything else they will put on the bike.

magura hydraulic rim brakes, xtr V brkaes

[Sep 20, 2000]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

When they are tuned they work great for 3 days of hard riding.

Turned them in 5 times for Pressure loss and calipiers defaulting, had the calipiers replace twice.

Waiting for Cannondale to step up to the plate and ask for a recall or let people trade them in for other Disc's at the cost.

V brakes

[Sep 11, 2000]
Don

OVERALL

Ambient temperature sensitive. Start out at 7am in 60 degree weather with mushy breaks, at 10am in 80 degree weather the breaks work as setup.

Follow up to a previous post dated 7-26-2000:

Funny thing happened, snapped my rear axel forcing me to switch back to a rim brake on the rear. I hate having two different brake levers so jumped at a buddies offer to let me use his Hayes Mechanical on my Lefty until I got my rear wheel back.

That Hayes Mechanical completely altered my thoughts on the Coda Expert brakes.

Codas:
Good modulation
Light weight
Stop only slightly better than a good V
Unbelievable ambient temperature issue (yes the damn things have been bled).
$240 US per wheel

Hayes Mechanical:
Good modulation
Heavier (but not much)
Stop almost as good as the Hayes hydraulic
$120 US per wheel

I considered the 2001 upgrade mentioned below, but balked at the "not for downhill use or when extended brakeing is required" My favorite trail is 30 minutes of near constant braking. Also would not resolve the ambient temperature issue.

I've also used the Avid mechanicals, they stop a little better than the Hayes, but have poor modulation.

Bottom line - If you own a Cannondale and can use non-Coda hubs then definately look at the Hayes or Avid mechanical brakes. They stop better than the Codas, cost half as much, and are much more reliable (read, duck tape will fix your cables in a pinch). If you own the Lefty you are SOL when it comes to the Avids, get the Hayes.

Hayes hydraulic, Magura Louise, Avid mechanical, Hayes mechanical

[Jan 12, 2000]
Bike Master Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Look Kinda Cool
Bleeding is pretty easy

Everything
They Dont stop a damn thing
Even after break in, they dont stop
Levers feel like crap
CHEESEBALL SHIMS TO SPACE THEM OUT!!!! WHAT IS THAT CRAP!???? Crappy American bike parts....oh wait,Im American, dont we have some crappy bike parts here?The designer of the brakes deserves a good pimp slap.

Im a mechanic at a shop. I have never seen such dumb designs...in everything but the bleeding techniques. They got ones thing right. That means they get one flaming turd.

Hayes, Magura, Rock Shox (Hope)

[Jun 30, 2001]
Tommy

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight

no power

worst disc ever

[Jan 01, 2001]
Rob P

OVERALL
Strength:

- Solid feel.
- Good modulation.

- Stock "Green" pads aren't very good.
- Levers too close to bars.
- Not the best system around.

My bike was shipped with the old "Green" pads rather than the "Blue" pads that were supposed to have shipped on all year 2000 bikes (See http://www.cannondale.com/tech/pdfs/01_expert_brake_supp.pdf for pad type identification). I used them all summer and found that they were not powerful enough (I weigh 185lbs). I have since switched to the new sintered metal pad kit (with standoff tube) with great success. I was guaranteed by tech support at Cannondale (1-800-BIKEUSA) that these would do it for me and so far, I think they’re right. For those of you who are complaining about lack of braking power, I suggest that you call tech support and maybe if enough of us complain, they might recall the old ones... unfortunately, I had to pay for mine.

As for my complaint about the levers being too close to the bars... the levers can easily be modified. E-mail me for instructions.

And for those of you who are complaining about leaking... I have not had a problem with the Expert but I do know that Cannondale has discontinued the Competition brake due to this.

Overall, I like the brakes. Would I buy them seperately to install on my bike... probably not. But would I buy another Cannondale with the same brakes... For sure!

[Nov 29, 2000]
Adam F
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

linear stopping power at any speed, that doesn't fade away when heat is generated at pads. Easy to adjust. And all the other reasons disks are good...work great in wet muddy stuff, rims can be out of true...less rotational inertia of wheels...

Need a clean well lit shop to service

Excellent power at speed. Good on steeps at slow speed. Haven't tried them at steeps at high speed yet but I have confidence in them. At first I was concerned about the power because they lack the grabbiness that v brakes have at slow speeds, but anyone who has ridden steeps with their hands full of V brakes knows how the power dramatically fades off as they get hot. These don't do that. I will never ride V brakes again. Those who want more consistent braking power, and or those who like the feel of wheels with really low rotational inertia would be wise to consider these.

shimano Vs, Hayes hydraulic

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.