Avid Single Digit Mag Brake System

• USER REVIEWS

[May 17, 2003]
    Ruinane

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stops on a dime. Easy to adjust.

Until I got a front shock to keep my wheel on the ground I was afraid to use my front brake because it was so powerful.

Excellent brake. Easily adjustable. Can fine-tune it to rider preferences. Stops you quick. Light.

Shimano Deore cantilever

[Jul 13, 2002]
    CLayton
    Downhiller

OVERALL
    Strength:

Amazing stopping power, loooks and reliability so far...

price! but who cares

These brakes will stop you quick. i recomend them to everyone, they are a little pricey but ya...

xtr, xt

[Dec 01, 2001]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great stopping power
    Really light weight

I am suffering for EWS (Empty Wallet Syndrome)
    Paint is chipping a little (no worrys)

These brakes are really good. You pay alot of money but its worth every penny.

XTR, XT, Deor,

[Feb 26, 2002]
    pete

OVERALL
    Strength:

no linkage to wear out, more of a "direct" feel between lever and rim, light weight

none yet

These brakes were such a big improvement that I will never go back to the big "s" I also ordered the SRP Ti bolt kit and it made these the lightest brakes as well-you wouldn't believe the difference in weight after you install the kit.These have been great and seem a little harder to keep in adjustment but that could just be me. They also needed some Macguyver work on the springs when I got them but I feel they're well worth the trouble. 4 chilies because of the minor tweaking to get them perfect which shouldn't be neccessary at this price

Shimano LX, XT, XTR,

[Feb 07, 2002]
    Rick

OVERALL
    Strength:

Decent modulation and feel, but newer XTRs are better in both categories, and even though Avids are fairly easy to set-up, XTR has even simpler alignment set-up.

Overpriced and overweight. Other than the infamous "light-weight," there's seems to be no reason that the brakes should have been priced as they were. To top it off, Avid has now switched their pad design to Shimano-compatible, and its not easy, at least in my experience, to find the first generation pads anymore.

Save money and hassle and get the XTR and avoid the first generation pads unless you want to run around to all the local bike shops.

XTR, Hayes Hydraulic.

[Dec 06, 2001]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light Weight, Incredible stopping power, ease of maintenance. Adjustability of the speed dial levers.

I paid 80.00 for the maglevers and brakes complete off of Ebay. I think I got a great deal considering the cannondale expert brakes I replaced sucked. These have excellent modulation and feel and I have no noise to contend with. Avid obviously makes a great product and I am a convert. If you want v-brakes that will instill confidence and make you more consistent on the single track buy these.

[Nov 05, 2002]
    Roscoe

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light; great stoppers; look good if that matters to you; stay adjusted and don't ever sqeal.

Maybe a little flexy, but not noticable or detremental to their performance.

After two hard years of using these brakes, all I can say about them is awesome. I have recently retired them as I have gone to dics, but they will remain on my other bike, as they are by far the best stoppers in all conditions. They never squealed and had great modulation at the levers (XTs). They work great and if you can find them on sale, pick up a set and enjoy!

Shimano LX (good brakes) and XT (crappy, squealing things) V-Brakes.

[Jul 12, 2002]
    Seung

OVERALL
    Strength:

Got them at supergo.com who's having a sale for them at $30 plus shipping of $7. I have the XT currently and they blow so hard I hate them. They sqeak like mad and embarass me. I can't wait to get the Avids since they are so simple, they last and they work instead of being fancy and crappy. I bought shimano XT rears a few months ago and they are beginning to sqeak and fade already. Don't know if it's just the pads. But I'm moving to these Avids from now on. Get the set for like $70.

Don't know yet.

Got a sweet deal on them. No more sqeaking from my XT front brakes.

XT

[Jan 28, 2004]
    Steve B

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great stopping power, easy set up

Corrosion during winter months due to road salt

These brakes are very light and easy to true and maintain. I have run them for nearly three years but every year during the cold seasons they fur up with white salts around the fitting and contact points. When cleaned down, pitting is evident, and once this erosion has started it is difficult to eradicate. Brakes have become so gnarled that I am now concerned about their strength!I have now switched to Avid Single Digit Ti's as the main body is not Magnesium and they are of comparative weight. I have also had similar problems with the Easton MG60 Mag stem!

xt,xtr

[Dec 22, 2001]
    Jim S

OVERALL
    Strength:

light, strong, simple

get rid of Shimano brakes and install high end avid brakes. Shimano parallel push is great in theory but the mechanism wears out to quickly and you end up with alot of play in the mecahinism. I'm a loyal user of numerous Shimano parts. I however prefer good Avid brakes levers as well as a SRAM chain with Powerlink. Its kinda tough to give these a value rating since I didn't pay for them individuall, they were OEM on the bike. A nice OEM I must say.

LX, XT (parallel push), Avid SD-7

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.