Avid Single Digit 5 Brake System

The reliable, proven Single Digit 5 is a great economical linear pull brakeThat wont breakThe bank. It features Avids FVA (Force Vector Alignment)To ensureThe mostefficient, powerful braking possible.The included Overcoat boot seals yourcables from dirt and grit. KeepThe change in your pocket! includes "noodle" claimed 210 grams Works with "linear pull" (AKA V-brake) levers from Avid,Shimano, etc.

[Jun 14, 2013]
George F

OVERALL
Strength:

VERY powerfull, light, easily adjustable.

NONE

Bought these to replace my Avid Arch Rival 50's. Much more simple to adjust and just as powerful. I think these are actualy more responsive that the Rival's with less matinance.

Avid Arch Rival 50's .. R.I.P after 8 wonderful years of use tention bold was striped.

[Feb 02, 2013]
rocksynthetic

OVERALL
Strength:

powerful, cheap

adjustment mechanism is sorta fragile

You may need to adjust these brakes relatively often, which is fine. However, spring tension is modulated by a bare screw driving into a narrow flat surface on the side of a metal disc that pushes against the spring. On one of my sets, after a couple of weeks, the adjustment surface was so marred by this screw that the screw could only partially contact the surface at an angle, which in turn warped the plate holding the screw in place. It's just kinda janky, and the weakest point of this design. Perhaps capping the end of screw in plasti-dip or something might help?

[Feb 24, 2011]
Joe DePalma

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power on my rear wheel (I run Avid BB& in the front). Easy to install and adjust. Spring tension is powerful.

If you are trying to upgrade and are cost conscious, these are a fantastic pair of brakes. Pair then with a pair of Kool Stop pads and you'll be able to stop on a dime. I saw no discernible difference in braking power between the SD5 and SD7 to warrant spending nearly 3x as much for the 7's.

Tektro V brakes that came on bike, Avid SD7

[Feb 19, 2011]
TrekFanatic

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stoping strength at any speeds and conditions! Not at all touchy at low speeds but has great performance stopping you at high speeds. It truly makes my Trek feel like new again.

I haven't found any yet, although it was a little bit of a fuss putting the wire protecter on while installing it.

Buy this product if you're looking for replacement v-brake pads, you won't regreat it!

Stock TekTro v-brake system that came with bike.

[Sep 21, 2010]
joeinchi

OVERALL
Strength:

Well-made, great performance, good looks

Great product and the deal from JensonUSA made this a no brainer. Installation took 20 minutes and was a direct swap for my old cantilevers. I had replaced my old shifter/lever combo with some "long pull" levers (Shimano ST-EF50) to ensure proper operation and the setup works perfectly!

The best thing about V brakes is that they're very easy to adjust. No more fiddly brake pad positioning--they're flush with the rim. Period.

The long pulls are also very easy to modulate and provide tremendous force with only moderate effort. Clamp down on them, though, and lock up is not a problem.

Do it! It's an easy, worthwhile upgrade for any bike with old-style canti's.

Stock cantilevers

[Jan 20, 2010]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Powerful

Touchy adjustment

I paired these up with the FR 5 levers and got the ultimate low cost BMX brake. No more of those crappy stock Tektros. I have SD 7's on my MTB, so I knew Avid was a good brand. I was not dissappointed.

Tektro

[Jan 06, 2010]
viper

OVERALL
Strength:

brakes well, limited noise

none at this time

great brakes for the price

tektro m530

[May 21, 2009]
Spawne32

OVERALL
Strength:

forged aluminum, extremely light, awesome stopping power

none i can think of

Bought these to replace broken brakes on my bike, these things blow the stock brakes away. The only thing keeping me from coming to a stop now is the fact that when you jam the lever down, the wheels lock up and you wind up sliding on the tire lol best money ive ever spent.

avid fr-5 levers

[Aug 26, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

powerful brakiing

heavy

These brakes are strong and smooth. Adding the rim wrangle pads puts these on par with the sd 7s. These were a major upgrade from the tektro brakes.

tektro

[Aug 18, 2007]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

does the job, if just barely

wears down on your rims... just like all v-brakes.

I have to admit these brakes worked well in the learning phase of my riding, but now that I'm into intermediate and very hard trails, I am starting to ride alot more aggressively and these can barely slow me down to corner on quick switchbacks. Overall a good brake, it just seems like sooner or later, as an aggressive rider, you are just gonna have to make the leap to disc brakes.

shimano, other avids

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.