Avid Single Digit 3 Brake System

Forged Arms

[Nov 11, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

When tuned breaks bit very good, works very good even in wet conditions

only slowed me down on steep decents.

I weigh 260lbs and ive been to all the major trails in austin and have been through a frame already. Gary Fisher said that the Austin area has more warranty clames that any where else in the contry these brakes have been through it and work. yes i know that there are better brakes out there (I'm currently going Hydro) but these are cheap and get the job done five Chilis for value couse ther cheap and five chilis for reliability.

hand full of other brakes some "V" some disc.

[Feb 21, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, good modulation.

May misalign occasionally.

I've been using this v-brakes since I was 9 and now I am turning 16, which makes it almost 7 years. I have been riding cross country frequently and almost every day. The modulation are very good for the price, and the brake pads supplied with it lasted me 6 years. I'm converting to hydraulic brakes soon though, but I'll still keep my Avid Single Digit 3.

[Jun 09, 2008]
jack_demo

OVERALL
Strength:

strong stopping power, cheap, reliable.

none really.

buy them if you're after a good quality set of brakes at a good price, but if you're an enthusiastic and skillful rider buy something a bit better.

cheapo crap shimano things, scott comps

[Jul 12, 2003]
A D

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, nice looking, easily adjustable

Very poor braking power. Requires frequent adjustments and centering. Very poor control at speeds above 25 km/hr

Average to below averge brake. Mostly intended for infrequent and slow x-country riding

[Aug 22, 2003]
Jord

OVERALL
Strength:

rather light (isn't this a prime reason to opt for the V-brake?) but other good v-brakes are as light, if not lighter. Look simple enough for a V brake.

Flex and friction causes poor modulation and poor stoping power. An on-off switch feel. Definitely not a set-and-forget component in my bike. Steel part get rusty in my riding environment (close to the sea).

If these brakes come with your stock bike (check out Trek, Klein, and Garry Fisher), I recommend to trade them with other models and get some discount for the new ones. This is, for me, the way to optimize the value from these brakes.

This brake shouldn't be used if you want to try some agressive technical rides, or even a long downhill road with some turns. New rider pay special attention to this message as I learn it the hard way.

I replace these brakes to Avid Utimate and have changed my attitude towards the V-brake system. V-brake can be so good (light wieght, great modulation, low maintenance, and plenty of power in one-WOW) and I know why I used to feel bad about it.

Don't buy this SD3 model unless you commute in a slow speed on a bike.

Avid Ultimate

[Jun 18, 2002]
trekkiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Good stopping when dry only, excelant stopping power when at moderate speeds on slanted ground.

problems grabbing when wet, primarily when muddy, does not grab consistantly feels kinda jerky.

it is an excellant lite offroad brake for the beginer to moderate MTB'er, but when things get tuff these brakes take a hike.

deore lx

[Mar 01, 2006]
el ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Mega strong stopping power like all Avids. Immeditate grab.

Not as much modulation as weaker brakes (they're simply so strong they often lock up immediately) I try not to ever use the back for this reason. They go out of alignment sometimes (I can't figure this out)

I don't see what everyone's problem is with these brakes. For cheap rim brakes they are absolutely unmatched. They even compete with SD-7's in my opinion. With the exception of the odd alignment issues, the actual performance of these brakes is among the best I've ever used (and I'm a disc brake user). They simply STOP.

dozens

[Feb 10, 2004]
Benn Jamieson

OVERALL
Strength:

They're in black.

Brake pads wear out too quickly. Fiddly to align. Too weak. Rusts!

Dont buy them unless you only trundle around the park. Not good for XC as they have limited stopping power and you really have to squeeze the brake to get it to grip the wheel.

Stock cantilevers on me Cannondale.

[Feb 15, 2002]
a_sanity_assassin

OVERALL
Strength:

They work...... in the beginning

Then they don't

Awkward to adjust. Pull to one side. Soft/mushy rear. Reasonable stopping power. Too much work to warrant buying them as after market - they came on the bike and now they're going in favour of SD Ultimates. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody if you do any off-road riding. My granny makes hotter chilli than these, hence a disappointingly low 2/5.

Shimano LX

[Dec 03, 2001]
chuck

OVERALL
Strength:

Works well at first
sort of light
looks alright

the power fades aftera downhill section
they dont work in rain/mud
the lever feels mushy especially in the rear brake
the brakes are hard to set up because it pulls more to one side, so if your rims a out of true the brakes drag
the pads wear really quickly

Once you start riding steeper faster trails these brakes are no good. This is a good beginner brake.
I thought these brakes actually work better when they havent broken in.
About 11 months after i got my bike the front left arm's spring snapped at the end of a fairly easy trail. I disconnected it beacause it was dragging so much i couldnt ride.i was hoping i could get a new spring at the bike shop at the bottom of the mountain. As we biked down towards it as slowly as we could a car makes a right turn and cuts right in front of me causing me to crash into it. Luckily i sustained no injuries so we continued on. At the arrival of the bike shop they told me that the spring could not be replaced so i had to get a new arm ... which i could not at afford the time. i went to the shop i got the bike from and asked if they could warranty it but the owner told me that he would not becuz i had ridden more than what the bike was intended to do. He also told me that i had to get a whole new set. (what the [email protected]*# !!! ... the other bike shop told me that i could buy jus one arm and that it should be warranted....)
I give it two chilis not for its braking performance but becuz of the shop owner(NOT COVE)who would not warranty it.

various V's

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.